Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Game stops during Startup  (Read 6647 times)

Jan_Henrik

Game stops during Startup
« on: January 27, 2015, 12:29:42 PM »
Hi,
my game stops during the startup, it stops at the point "starting sandbox" (freeeze).

System. Opensuse 13.1

please tell me, what information you need from me to get it fixed.

Thanks!

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
Re: Game stops during Startup
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 02:02:49 PM »
Sorry for the trouble.

Please try these solutions for startup issues: http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/topic,13207.0.html

If it's still freezing, then please post your log and your crash dump file, if it creates one. Instructions for finding these are here: http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/topic,12458.0.html

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 08:23:31 PM »
There's some common issues that can happen with the differences between Linux distributions. It's mostly things like the System Language, or being unable to locate library .so files. In testing we've also had good results with AMD's APP for OpenCL support in Linux. The intel drivers just crash, and that's across applications other then Universe Sandbox.

We've had some existing issues that have been resolved with troubleshooting for Linux users in the past. As Jared mentioned, we'll need the logs to see exactly what's going on. But you can also check some of our existing threads to see if some of the solutions presented there will work for you.

http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/topic,13109.0.html

Jan_Henrik

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 10:39:29 AM »
Hi,
The startup commands didnt work, here is my logfile:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vqffihd0ejpe6b/Player.log?dl=0

I tried it on my laptop ( fedora ) and it worked, with 4,8 fps \o/ I hope, that it will work on my tower pc soon

Thankies :3

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 11:38:26 AM »
Thanks for the log! It's pretty much exactly as I expected, we're not finding your OpenCL.so files. Unfortunately on Linux right now the OpenCL libraries are a bit all over the place, depending on the vendor and the distribution you use. Because of that we can't get mono to link to the right file.

Here's the relevant bit of the log. If it's properly linking, you won't get this message anymore.

Fallback handler could not load library /home/janhenrik/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Universe Sandbox 2/Universe Sandbox_Data/Mono/x86_64/libOpenCL.so

There's some potential fixes here, if you want something out of the box, you can download and install, AMD's open CL implementation. Which supports processors and any device with SSE2 extensions.

http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/opencl-zone/amd-accelerated-parallel-processing-app-sdk/

The manual fix is to locate the name of your openCL icd loader. It might be something like libOpenCL.so.1 or something to that effect, and create a symbolic link that refers libOpenCL.so to the right place.

If you need any more help with that, just let me know and I'll be glad to assist.

Jan_Henrik

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 12:21:16 PM »
The SDK didnt work, do I need to start/link/do stuff with it?

After that I tried the manual methode

I linked the lib manually and it still stops / freezes. (got a new log)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:29:01 PM by Jan_Henrik »

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 01:12:41 PM »
Well, it looks like it's managing to find your OpenCL.so files now, so that's some progress at least. Can you check your list of OpenCL vendors? The OpenCL.so is more or less a wrapper that loads .icd (installable client driver) files for each implementation of OpenCL you have on your system. I know that the intel one is incompatible and causes crashes, so if we even attempt to load that it will break.

If you do have the intel.icd in your vendors folder, please remove it and retest.

Other then that the only other error I see is one with the Steam overlay. Can you try disabling it?

GLERROR: ld.so: object '/home/janhenrik/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so'

1) Click on Steam and click on the "Settings" button. Click on the "In-Game Settings" tab.

2) Uncheck the box next to "Enable Steam Community In-Game" and click OK.

3) Disable the Steam Overlay on specific games only by right-clicking on the game title, click on "Properties" and uncheck "Enable Steam Community In-Game" in the "General" tab.

Jan_Henrik

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 01:20:04 PM »
how can I check the opencl vendors?

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 03:15:18 PM »
I believe it can vary a bit. But the default path is listed below. There should be various .icd files in there that are the loaders for each vendor.

/etc/OpenCL/vendors/

Also, you've inspired me to put together a collection of Linux self help and troubleshooting information. We've already covered a good bit of it in this topic, but I'll post it here if anyone comes across this topic in a search.

http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/topic,14629.0.html

We are also working to improve the logging of our startup process, to help identify exactly where the loading is failing in the future. This is slated to be included in our next major revision. So even if we can't get things working just yet, we are working hard to resolve these issues going forward.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 03:51:00 PM by C7 »

Jan_Henrik

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 09:18:36 AM »
Hi,
good news, I found the folder.
Bad news, I have 0 vendors, where can I get vendors?

Jan_Henrik

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 09:30:36 AM »
Okay i have 1 vendor, it was in the folder above, I copied it into the vendors folder, the file is named: amdocl64.icd but I dont have the libopencl.so file in that folder, its from anouther source, is that okay?

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 03:18:43 PM »
There's three things that need to happen,

First you need the openCL.so library. This should of been installed with the app package, but may be in a weird location. Your openCL.so may have a different name, like libOpenCL.so.1 or some variant. It doesn't need to be in a specific place.

Secondly, it needs to be linked correctly to Universe Sandbox, if that's not the case you'll see an error about the fallback handler not being able to load file. You can create a symbolic link to that file to help find it.

Lastly, you should have the .icd files in the Vendors folder. All that should be in there is the icd files themselves.

Hopefully that helps. Sorry it's a bit complicated. I wish we could find a decent way to automate this, but it's all over the place depending on your distribution.

Jan_Henrik

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 07:23:06 AM »
Hi,

I did all the things you´ve said, but it is still not working, I have the library and 1 vendor. Also i got a fresh logfile, saysing "AliasY not found" I hope that we can find a solution for the problem.

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 10:47:21 AM »
The alias Y message is completely harmless. Seems we're still not detecting any OpenCL devices, and are falling back to your CPU as a regular processor. Are you able to run OpenCL on anything else? You can try a simple program like ratGPU, which uses OpenCL, if that's not detecting any devices, we won't either.

It's possible that your equipment just can't do OpenCL, but I'm hoping it's just a configuration issue.

The log is really helpful though, It's narrowed down exactly where it fails. Finally have something to go on to try and solve this.

It may take a little bit more back and forth of testing and logging to get this solved, since we can't reproduce the issue here, it's been really hard to debug.

Thanks for all your help so far.