Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: [FIXED] More CO2... less temperature?  (Read 4482 times)

jaumem

[FIXED] More CO2... less temperature?
« on: January 24, 2015, 01:18:46 PM »
Hi, i'm observing the earth with an automatic raising of the CO2 levels, and I see that the temperature goes down instead of heating up the planet. Is this a bug or am I wrong? Thanks
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 03:43:13 AM by Dan Dixon »

C7

• Development Team
Re: More CO2... less temperature?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 07:31:29 PM »
It can take a while for the system to normalize when you make changes. But, I'll forward your comment over to Naomi so she can see what's up.

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 08:37:02 AM »
Turns out we need a little more information to answer. Which exact sim did you run, (what are the reproduction steps) and which version of Universe Sandbox ² are you running?

kallisti

• I'm trying.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 08:06:55 PM »
I also always got this. I've almost exclusively used the 12.5 preview. Create new Earth, inject more co2 and get a new ice age.

jaumem

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 03:29:19 PM »
I also always got this. I've almost exclusively used the 12.5 preview. Create new Earth, inject more co2 and get a new ice age.

It was the Alpha 12, I will try this new version and I'll see. Thx!

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 04:45:04 PM »
If it's still not working, let us know. 12.5 was very experimental and in progress, wouldn't surprise me at all if something was amiss.

If you see anything that doesn't add up, just be sure to provide us with the exact values and situation that happened so we can test.

It tends to be that if you enter "impossible" values or change things in a non-physical way, you can get some funky results. Not saying that's the case here, but that's one of the reasons we need precise information.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 07:56:31 PM »
We just released Alpha 13... let us know if you're still seeing this issue in the latest version.

jaumem

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 04:23:06 AM »
Hi, I tried to raise the CO2 in this new alpha release. Now I think it works fine, I activated the automatic CO2 raising and after 100 years more or less the temperature raised about 2-3 degrees, and the ice expands much less.

Thank you  :D

kallisti

• I'm trying.
Re: [FIXED] More CO2... less temperature?
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 10:05:13 PM »
Well, I still got the same results, but then, thinking about it, I get the same result with any planet that doesn't revolve around a sun.... I guess it's logical, but that means realistic climate changes can only be simulated in a solar system, never with only a planet... Am I right? Edit: all continents are covered in ice within a year's time.
Edit2: I misread the OP. This happens to me when I pump more co2 in, like 3x 2010 levels.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:27:35 PM by kallisti »

C7

• Development Team
Re: [FIXED] More CO2... less temperature?
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 11:08:56 AM »
The climate system is all about a balance of energy. The input to the system is coming from any nearby stars, adjusting things like the CO2 will effect the energy balance, until the planet reaches a new point of equilibrium. The really interesting thing is when sea ice, or land ice changes the albedo of the surface, and further effects balance.

However, if there's no star in the system the system will only bleed energy, and the planet will eventually freeze.

For more information on our climate modelling:
http://universesandbox.com/climate

Planetary Albedo:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albedo
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 03:48:58 PM by Dan Dixon »