Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SC2 stops running during startup  (Read 8546 times)

Panzer9

SC2 stops running during startup
« on: January 20, 2015, 07:50:59 PM »
Hi all, just bought into the alpha and downloaded today,

Sadly I've been having some issues. I've tried all the methods suggested by the stickies, none have worked. It downloaded without issue. However, when I try starting the program it abruptly stops when the phrase  "finding CL devices" appears near the bottom of the screen. There is no error message, the program just stops. I've attached the output log, as I was unable to locate the other one(the one named in the date the program tried to run). Any idea as to what might be the problem?

Thanks.

Panzer9

Re: SC2 stops running during startup
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 07:56:31 PM »
I should probably mention I have an Intel(R) Core(TM i7-2600 CPU. Have tried the OpenCL link in one of the stickies and still nothing. Help?

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 02:26:14 PM »
Thanks for reporting this issue. This is a tough one as the log file just stops with no warning or indication of the problem.

We're going to add additional logging of the startup process in the next Alpha (largely inspired by your post) that we hope will shed some light on the issue.

And I'm sorry you're having a problem...

Panzer9

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 06:24:39 PM »
No worries, just wanted to know some kind of solution was being worked on. Is there anything you would suggest I try at this point?

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 04:00:21 PM »
If you tried everything in the Stickies, then that's about all you can do.

Other then that, CL errors can be caused by driver problems. So make sure you're using the latest drivers from your manufacturer, and do a clean installation. If you'd like any assistance with that, feel free to message me directly on the forums and I'll follow up with you.

Thanks!

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 01:06:49 PM »
Can you please retest with the updated logging in Alpha 13.1, and post your logs?

Panzer9

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 08:15:49 AM »
Log attached.

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 03:22:18 PM »
I took a look at the logs, seems to be an issue with Steam. Make sure you're launching the game from inside of Steam itself, instead of using the executable in the installation folder.

Sometimes, there can be some intermittent issues, where Steam isn't detected. Restarting the Steam client, or your computer, will usually clear that up.

Panzer9

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 06:01:41 PM »
Tried all of that, still have the same problem.

Panzer9

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 01:52:35 PM »
It was determined in another thread(http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php?topic=14774.0) where the OP had a very similar problem to myself that the drivers were to blame. Is there any possibility this could be the issue here?

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 12:35:31 PM »
The logs are a lot different in your case, at least the last one you sent over. Can you send one over for the latest Alpha? We've added even more logging to try and catch the exact cause of the problem.

Panzer9

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 01:51:19 PM »
Attached log of newest version.

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 07:40:14 PM »
Thanks for the log, checking in to the error code, are you launching the game inside Steam? It appears the Steam links are failing for some reason, and the game is trying to relaunch. You need to launch the game from the library directly, not through a shortcut.

I'd also check to make sure that you don't have any anti-virus software running that may be blocking Steam's systems.

Panzer9

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 01:25:25 PM »
I've tried launching from in steam and directly from the file folder (OS:C/Program files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/Universe Sandbox 2). Is there somewhere else I can try it from?

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 02:38:18 PM »
I checked the log you sent over, that's not the current version of the game either. Can you check to make sure that Steam is actually updating correctly?

I'd recommend doing a full-re-install with a fresh copy from Steam. Just to make sure there's not some leftover old files kicking around. Go to the folder the game is installed in, delete it, and the use your Steam library to download a new copy. That will clean out any files that are left in the directory the game is installed into.

Also, you can check the Betas to make sure you're not on an old branch. Right click the game, go to properties, and select the Betas tab. From there make sure you have "None - Opt out of all beta programs" as the selected option.

You're not trying to launch via Steam family sharing by any chance are you?

Panzer9

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 01:11:05 PM »
Tried, didn't work. I am not using steam family sharing to the best of my knowledge. I did check the new log, and it appears it is different from the previous one.

Chris

• Developer
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 08:57:47 AM »
This looks like a network problem.
When starting up, we're trying to connect to the Steam network, as well as a debug service.

We're investigating why a failed network connection would lead to the app exiting.

In the meantime, could you please make sure your firewall isn't preventing Universe Sandbox² from connecting?
This would help verifying that it is indeed running into a gridlock trying to make a net connection.

Thank you.

Panzer9

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 01:20:11 PM »
I can confirm my firewall isn't obstructing the program.

Panzer9

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2015, 07:11:05 AM »
Any updates?