Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: US2 for PS4?  (Read 11132 times)

A Wise Limey

US2 for PS4?
« on: January 01, 2015, 06:58:35 PM »
I have a lot of fun with US2 but my computer hardware has frame rate issues! So could it be possible for you guys to add UB2 to the PS4! PS4 is a lot more powerful than my PC so it should be able to run on the PS4 with no problem and the CPU is x86 ! I would very much love to see this happen for the PS4!
And this is the really only game I play because I'm deeply fascinated with space and the Universe! This game has allowed me to do the "with if that happen" !

Electrodynamix

• Australian Alpha Tester and Astronomer
Re: US2 for PS4?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 11:54:21 PM »
There are a few problems.  First off, note I do not own a PS, but have used them before.

1.  US2 was intended to be a program, and less of a 'game'.  PS, I would imagine, would not work too well with US2 as the nature of the program wouldn't work with the PS controllers (it is not a game).

2.  Is your PS4 actually more powerful than your computer?  That's possible, but I think that means you have pretty low PC specs for your PS4 to boast about it.  I didn't expect them to be more powerful.  (Speaking of which, you need OpenCL for US2 to work, or you will run into DEEEEEP SHIT aka: performance issues, eg. low framerate)  I don't think a PS is actually for simulating on the scale of a Universe Sandbox, or basically any kind of high-processor activity like US2.  As I said before, I do not own a PS, but I do understand that a PS, or PS4 for that matter, is built for games like COD, etc (I'd imagine) and that is why the device is built the way it is. (Built for TV, comes with gamepad, etc.)

3.  US2 requires OpenCL, which is basically a method for doing really fast maths, but I'm not going to tell you exactly what it does to achieve this (...)  I assume OpenCL is software unavailable to PS, just like adobe flash player is unavailable to a Nintendo DS.

4.  US2 is still in alpha.  However a PS4 version would be great for a big screen, for the moment you can plug your PC (however yours, as you said has performance issues) into your TV with HDMI, or if you dont have that, *THE BLUE CABLE* which it's name I forgot years ago.  However these things have become near obsolete, due to... incidents.  As I was saying, due to the program's Alpha status, even the current PC version is filled with one-off issues, graphical bugs, startup bugs, shutdown bugs, bugs, bugs and yes, even more bugs.  If a PS4 version of US2 actually makes it out of Giant Army's studio, I don't think it would be any time soon.

So... Thats the main issues that people are going to come across.  A PS version is likely possible, but I don't think the nature of a PS4 and its purposes, specs, etc. meet requirements for a program like US2.  However, good things take time, and time takes good things, if you know what I mean.  If a PS4 version comes out, it would make my friends very happy.  They hate laptops.  Oh well.

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 03:00:12 AM »
agreed

A Wise Limey

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 12:19:40 PM »
Here's my PC specs

HP Pavilion p6-2016 Desktop PC

Pentium G620

•Operating speed: Up to 2.6 GHz

•Number of cores: 2

•Socket: LGA1155

•Bus speed: DMI (Direct Media Interface) - 2.5GT/s

Memory

6 GB

•Amount: 6 GB

•Speed: PC3-10600 MB/sec

•Type: DDR3-1333

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD Integrated graphics (DX10.1)

*Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.

•Supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards

•DVI and VGA ports (both ports can be used at the same time)

Electrodynamix

• Australian Alpha Tester and Astronomer
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 05:35:38 PM »
Interesting.  Perhaps, due to having 2 CPU cores, you could try using GPU as your gravity computation device?  I cant remember how to change the device, due to recent startup problems mentioned in my thread elsewhere.  It seems GPU is the default.  Try using different devices and see which one works best on your hardware.  Sorry if the fact that I cant tell you how to change the device makes this whole reply worthless.  I imagine you go to the home window, then the settings tab, and it would likely be around in there somewhere.  Apparently it can make a huge difference of up to 20FPS on some computers.  It doesn't always work, I have heard.

A Wise Limey

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 05:38:44 PM »
So how can I make my GPU the gravity computation device

aNewbyPlayer1

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 05:40:14 PM »
you should replace that Processor with a Core i5-4690K, im pretty sure that US2 will run fine on it.