Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pre-purchase Question About Inadequate Graphics Cards  (Read 2499 times)

skullman99

Pre-purchase Question About Inadequate Graphics Cards
« on: January 04, 2015, 04:29:12 PM »
Hello,
I read the system requirements, and noticed that US2 requires a 512MB graphics card. I have a Mid-2010 Macbook Pro, which has the 256 MB GeForce (as well as the intel of the same capacity, but that's the kind that I remember shouldn't be used for gaming… can't remember the term for it though). But, I remember buying the first and that it was freakin awesome, and so, with this issue, will the game absolutely not work on my computer (or be essentially unplayable)? Even with all the graphics settings at their minimum?

…If it makes any difference, I added some memory (raising my total ram to 8GB as opposed to 4) to my macbook. (Don't know why it would, but hey- no harm in mentioning it.)

I'm new to this, sorry if the added 'help please' is in appropriate. If so, just let me know, I won't do it again.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 06:16:26 PM by skullman99 »

C7

• Development Team
Re: Pre-purchase Question About Inadequate Graphics Cards
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 12:30:30 PM »
I looked up the reference specs for a 2010 Macbook pro, and compared it to the performance data we have for Universe Sandbox 2.

You should be able to run the software on that computer, but it will have some issues depending on the version of MacOS you're running. FPS on default is around 15-30, so you could likely turn some settings down to get it to run a little smoother.

skullman99

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 02:34:13 PM »
Awesome. Thank you.  8)
…When you say 'depending on the OS', are there any specific ones that seem to cause issues? (I have mountain lion, after which I began to lose trust in mac's OS's and therefore haven't upgraded) (This isn't that pressing of an issue, I'm certainly trying it anyway, just if you or someone else happens to visit this thread again, for the sake of information and whatnot…)

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 11:36:10 AM »
Generally speaking, the older OS-es tend to work a little worse is all, as well as having slightly different performance. New systems are added in the latest versions of MacOSX to take advantage of advances in hardware, as an example.