Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: [BUG]Bug with timestep flunctuating wierdly  (Read 2697 times)

smjjames

[BUG]Bug with timestep flunctuating wierdly
« on: December 25, 2014, 02:53:29 PM »
I loaded up the version 13 preview and while doing some stuff, I'm noticing that the timestep keeps rapidly flunctuating upwards like it's trying to increase, not sure if it's the same thing as mentioned in another thread. However, the timestep isn't changing to yellow or red.:

As well, we discovered a bit of a bug with the automatic performance controls, they were relying on information that wasn't being reported, so it was actually increasing the requested step length when performance got bad instead of easing up on things.

That could explain why the step length kept flunctuating and increasing step length whenever 'things got bad' and the timestep was going in the yellow and red.

To give an example, in the 'jupiters fly around sun' sim, when I put it at 10 sec/sec, it keeps trying to put the timestep higher, up to four minutes even.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 04:05:57 PM by smjjames »

Gordon Freeman

Re: [BUG]Bug with timestep flunctuating wierdly
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 01:58:54 AM »
Happening to me since Alpha 11, I think.

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 01:57:39 PM »
Just to clear it up. What happened in the past was that the timestep went (higher) then the target, as performance dropped.

Now, the timestep goes (lower) then the target, and will attempt to climb back up.

You'll see a similar result at times, as the timestep is still trying to go higher, but now it's for different reasons and at different times.

smjjames

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 08:59:54 PM »
Is it supposed to make such huge jumps from 10s to 4 minutes for a brief instant though? Hard to tell whether that fluctuation behavior is supposed to be normal or not.

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 01:04:03 PM »
We've got a lot of testing ahead of us before we release this update, I'll take a look at the timestep and see if it's operating as intended. We might need to implement some sort of smoothing.