Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wrong lighting of planets after super nova  (Read 3173 times)

bochen7e7

Wrong lighting of planets after super nova
« on: December 14, 2014, 02:52:56 PM »
So when a sun goes supernova, the planets (Earth, etc) still have the light from the sun cast on it as if the sun didn't explode and it was business as usual?

I understand light takes 8.5 minutes to reach, but the earth should not still get the same amount of "sunlight" after 8.5 minutes post explosion!

[Greenleaf edited subject. Please ensure that subject line is at least slightly descriptive of the content. This goes for everyone else who forget that rule.]
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 02:58:13 PM by Greenleaf »

Cryo

Re: Wrong lighting of planets after super nova
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 05:40:42 PM »
That's a feature there should be an option in the lighting settings...although  it could possibly not be there it's been a while...

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 09:36:35 PM »
Yes, but there would still be a central core of gas that would later decay into a White Dwarf, which still casts light.

bochen7e7

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 09:55:48 AM »
No, I mean to complain there are so many things not realistic about Universe Sandbox 2, and it seems things like explosions, climate change, etc are simply parlor tricks tacked onto the game (not a simulator) with no actual emulations of the underlining physics and mechanisms....

For example, to use the exploding/supernova sun again, approximately 8.5 minutes after the sun explodes the light/lighting that hits/(gets cast on) the earth should be DRAMATICALLY different and yet it stays the same as if business as usual...

I'm not nitpicking cosmetic issues...

The earth still is in the same "orbit" post 8.5 minutes after the sun explosions or goes supernova.... Gravity is either instantaneously or travels as fast or faster than speed of light in vacuum.... so how come the earth still travels in same orbit after the sun goes gone?

When the 'heat wave' of the supernova blast finally hits earth it doesn't even knock it out of orbit or influence its trajectory or path!?

This game also does not even attempt to model the effects of relativity on large scales.

Cryo

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 10:56:40 AM »
this game inst even done yet, just wait, all that will be added in with time it's in the alpha stage, i think i read somewhere that simulating things like the speed of gravity is unstable or something

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 11:07:37 AM »
The earth still is in the same "orbit" post 8.5 minutes after the sun explosions or goes supernova.... Gravity
When the 'heat wave' of the supernova blast finally hits earth it doesn't even knock it out of orbit or influence its trajectory

I highly doubt that gas is dense enough to macroscopically affect the trajectory of a solid body.

This game also does not even attempt to model the effects of relativity on large scales.

Relatvity? Hold your horses, this is Indie, not corporations.

crashman1390

• New years resolution:grow beard, shaved every day.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 03:37:03 PM »

That's really far fetched...