Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I cant see all galaxy?  (Read 7794 times)

Naima

I cant see all galaxy?
« on: December 10, 2014, 09:24:22 AM »
When I scroll out zooming far from the solar system , I only get to see the Sun , is not possible to zoom out and see all surrounding stars and explore the whole galaxy and known systems?

Lord DC

• Omnitae - Leader of Omnipotencia
    • Steam profile
Re: I cant see all galaxy?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 09:29:43 AM »
This isn't Space Engine.  :P

Alright, the reason why is because i'm assuming you have the solar system sim open.
It only simulates this solar system, no galaxies are included, but you can add one to the current sim! also, try not to add too many.  8)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 04:57:02 PM by Lord DC »

Cryo

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 04:43:44 PM »
The stars you see in the background is nothing but a texture against a skybox it's there only to give you a visual for the simulator (and no need to be rude or at least that's how I read it not all of us know the workings of the game yet)

Naima

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 07:33:23 AM »
Isn't possible to have a way to go from star to star with a whole simulation of the known galaxy?

smjjames

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 09:35:44 AM »
Isn't possible to have a way to go from star to star with a whole simulation of the known galaxy?

Again, Ubox is not Space Engine. Remember, Space Engine does NOT simulate the movement of the stars in the galaxy.

Cryo

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 10:46:34 AM »
No it's not possible, those stars in the background are just a texture, if the game did do that your computer would sell destruct, simulating both millions of objects and trillions of galaxies? Nooooooooooooooooooo

Naima

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 10:52:26 AM »
how if they do not move but just put them in the relative position as is done for the texture on the skybox around the solar system ? that way you could navigate from system to system with the illusion of a big galaxy and when zooming out of system it could load seamlessy the whole galaxy replacing the sun with a single point .

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 12:52:20 PM »
how if they do not move but just put them in the relative position as is done for the texture on the skybox around the solar system ? that way you could navigate from system to system with the illusion of a big galaxy and when zooming out of system it could load seamlessy the whole galaxy replacing the sun with a single point .
Universe Sandbox simulates gravity in real time. If we did this, your computer will be like: "eh screw this" melt.

Cryo

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 03:07:23 PM »
I'll explain in further detail ready why this isn't in the game is because The computer all already has its hands full with calculations for gravity, collection's etc. A millions of objects into the screen will slow the gAme down dramatically if not just crash the game all together it's not possible with the average computer it be too much to handle

smjjames

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 03:36:45 PM »
If you wanted to do that with the nearest 500 stars, yes you probably could (assuming your computer can handle it), but the millions of individual stars while at the same time simulating the individual gravity? You literally need a SUPERCOMPUTER to do that.

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 09:21:14 PM »
If you wanted to do that with the nearest 500 stars, yes you probably could (assuming your computer can handle it), but the millions of individual stars while at the same time simulating the individual gravity? You literally need a SUPERCOMPUTER to do that.

You couldn't. Those 500 stars are themselves orbiting common centres of mass within clusters and with the galaxy itself. While we had a display option for that in US1, it didn't simulate a thing at all, it was purely static because of precisely that issue.

OP, your best bet is to look into programs like AstroFly and Celestia, or if you don't mind random generation as well as real stars, SpaceEngine.

BlackMane

• this account has seen all of my cringe phases oof
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 02:30:03 AM »
I have lost all faith in people.  :'(

Cryo

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 10:11:16 AM »
I have lost all faith in people.  :'(
What!?..elaborate please...

Naima

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 07:09:21 PM »
I'll explain in further detail ready why this isn't in the game is because The computer all already has its hands full with calculations for gravity, collection's etc. A millions of objects into the screen will slow the gAme down dramatically if not just crash the game all together it's not possible with the average computer it be too much to handle

I do notunderstand your point . I didn't ask to place a million objects I doubt we even know that many details , but to put on the same texture links to other starsystems that can be warped to throught animations this would make feel like you are in a large galaxy ratehr than in a microreproduction .

Cryo

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 08:22:52 PM »
That's exactly what I'm talking about, that has the potential of killing average computers all those stars? And all that gravity being simulated? The first Ubox couldn't even handle that I'm not sure  , heck I could be misreading what your saying.. do you mean click on a star and it loads a new simulation? Now that makes more sense or am I wrong altogether

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2014, 09:39:04 PM »
I think she means, "Why can't we just have the same star systems over and over?"

Well, Naima, it'd still take up a lot of processing power to calculate the orbits of so many planets and stars, and that's not even accurate.

Naima

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 04:49:06 AM »
That's exactly what I'm talking about, that has the potential of killing average computers all those stars? And all that gravity being simulated? The first Ubox couldn't even handle that I'm not sure  , heck I could be misreading what your saying.. do you mean click on a star and it loads a new simulation? Now that makes more sense or am I wrong altogether
I didn't mean that all stars need to be gravity processed, but just placed as a kind of wikipedia link on that star map around the skybox .

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 05:46:20 AM »
Even if the stars were non-attracting, it'd still be very hard to calculate all their orbits at once.

And I doubt that all the stars in our galaxy have been catalogued.

Cryo

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 08:21:15 AM »
I'm sorry I'm not understanding you very well star map around the skybox?

smjjames

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 01:33:10 PM »
I think he means the background?

That wouldn't work because in Space Engine, there IS no background layer (unless you count the blackness of space), just points of light of varying distance, which is why you can click on those distant stars which might appear to be in the background. In Ubox, the background is exactly that, a background which cannot be interacted with, if it wasn't there, you would see, well, you wouldn't see anything because the background would be black (or maybe white) because it's not displaying anything.