Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pavala Collab [Main: Rev 190] [Haki: Rev 3] [Worlda: Rev 2]  (Read 93697 times)

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
Re: Pavala Collab [Revision 107] (7/7/17) "ok mommie" - Darvince
« Reply #600 on: July 09, 2017, 01:35:30 AM »
[08:33]   Kalassafk   fiah could have like a species of yellow plant or family of them
[08:33]   Kalassafk   or even like do a fiah crazy thing like
[08:34]   Kalassafk   there's a virus that thrives in the soutehrn hemisphere temperate zones
[08:34]   Kalassafk   which causes plants to stop producing green pigment
[08:34]   Kalassafk   or something
[08:34]   Kalassafk   but the plants tend to survive

Darvince

• gab
« Reply #601 on: July 09, 2017, 02:04:44 AM »
we should host a vote for basic biological facts about pavalan life

Naru523

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • let's walk the true path of life
« Reply #602 on: July 09, 2017, 02:24:23 AM »

prehistoric cultural regions version 1

tidied up some coastlines + tiny lakes

Darvince

• gab
« Reply #603 on: July 09, 2017, 04:05:46 AM »
does the darvincyan area have 3894578902345707348925078 people living in it

also why are there people prehistorically on eztanohk

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #604 on: July 10, 2017, 12:22:54 AM »

FiahOwl

« Reply #605 on: July 10, 2017, 12:27:38 AM »
Aahrus is a city state that was originally founded some long time ago by royalty fleeing their decaying country and being granted some land up here in Nohkta for some reason. They founded a big immigrant community, and it became independent along the way and now is a big illicit tax haven island full of lots of good stuff. It's full of ethnic Unuvi or something along those lines (think pale skinned green hair) and is surrounded by a larger metro area

Darvince

• gab
« Reply #606 on: July 10, 2017, 02:18:14 AM »
ayyy aahrus is on pavala now time to move univision over amirite

Darvince

• gab
« Reply #607 on: July 10, 2017, 02:18:56 AM »
does the darvincyan area have 3894578902345707348925078 people living in it

also why are there people prehistorically on eztanohk
on irc he explained that it's supposed to be like a legend that the yellow people visited eztanohk well before colonization began

Darvince

• gab
« Reply #608 on: July 10, 2017, 03:11:33 AM »
The GOAL TITAN has taken one good, long look at Pavala and decided that much of it must be renewed.

He hath consulted with the God of Earth and asked him what he thinks is wrong with Pavala. The Earth said, "everything", and so the GOAL TITAN ignored him, and went on his own vision quest. He looked at the Earth near and far, always out of sight. Once he had finished, he decided to Erase the Greater Part of Pavala, in order to give it new life and attract new Followers.

Hail the GOAL TITAN, and be Patient while he Works Out his Wisdom.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 03:22:19 AM by Darvince »

Darvince

• gab
« Reply #609 on: July 10, 2017, 10:30:21 PM »
fiah keeps asking me what to do

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #610 on: July 11, 2017, 01:40:48 AM »
what to do

FiahOwl

« Reply #611 on: July 11, 2017, 11:58:34 PM »
posting here cuz i'll probably be too lazy to explain again in case tuto asks

[11:42 PM] dessuro: @Bob Dotrugo do you remember the advice i gave you about the fjords
[11:42 PM] Bob Dotrugo: uh make them craggly and deeper and stuff
[11:42 PM] Bob Dotrugo: jk thats what kalassak said
[11:43 PM] dessuro: do you know the most important thing
[11:43 PM] dessuro: which is to keep it straight
[11:43 PM] Bob Dotrugo: keep the fjords straight?
[11:43 PM] dessuro: well ok
[11:43 PM] dessuro: right now
[11:44 PM] dessuro: you're the blue, but you wanna make it look more like the red https://i.gyazo.com/8b50cc6ffaa5e47abcb88037e7177d20.png

[11:44 PM] dessuro: because it's an active subduction zone
[11:44 PM] dessuro: so there's gonna be high mountain building
[11:44 PM] dessuro: you don't need to make it look literally like the red
[11:44 PM] dessuro: but look at southern chile
[11:44 PM] dessuro: for inspiration
[11:44 PM] dessuro: about how it follows a curve but deviates a bit
[11:45 PM] Bob Dotrugo: right
[11:45 PM] dessuro: https://i.gyazo.com/8c2655e39ddcb38ae9beeb22973f47fa.png for example tuto you see how this is a single long curved line

[11:45 PM] Bob Dotrugo: so have fjords but keep the coastline relatively straight and not too eroded
[11:45 PM] dessuro: it has lots of fjords
[11:45 PM] dessuro: well no make it hella eroded but keep the overall thing straight
[11:45 PM] dessuro: that's the secret of realistic landforms
[11:45 PM] Bob Dotrugo: well i mean amaio looks really
[11:45 PM] Bob Dotrugo: craggly
[11:45 PM] dessuro: they have different shapes depending on the resolution
[11:45 PM] BOTiris: <Darvince> can i say things
[11:45 PM] dessuro: well the crags are too big
[11:45 PM] Bob Dotrugo: yeah
[11:45 PM] dessuro: and shaped weirdly
[11:46 PM] dessuro: ok go ahead dar
[11:46 PM] BOTiris: <Darvince> no i'm asking tuto for permission
[11:46 PM] dessuro: we're all in this together
[11:46 PM] dessuro: darvince did you forget to say something tbh
[11:47 PM] BOTiris: <Darvince> uh
[11:47 PM] Bob Dotrugo: kalassak
[11:47 PM] BOTiris: <Darvince> not really but i didn't word it properly
[11:47 PM] BOTiris: <Darvince> and i can't ping tuto from irc
[11:47 PM] BOTiris: <Darvince> because his universesandbox server name has a space in it but his real discord name doesn't
[11:48 PM] Bob Dotrugo: dar say it
[11:48 PM] BOTiris: <Darvince> ok uh
[11:48 PM] BOTiris: <Darvince> what fiah is trying to convey
[11:48 PM] BOTiris: <Darvince> is first make a blob coastline that has a soft contour like namibia or california
[11:48 PM] BOTiris: <Darvince> then
[11:48 PM] BOTiris: <Darvince> add
[11:49 PM] BOTiris: <Darvince> five billion inlets to it in any direction you please
[11:50 PM] dessuro: yes that is a great way to go about it and you need to remember not to make the inlets way too deep because there's a mountain range there
[11:51 PM] Bob Dotrugo: ok
[11:51 PM] BOTiris: <Darvince> well low-lying coastlines that were encased in ice sheets in the ice age don't have fjords
[11:51 PM] BOTiris: <Darvince> like hudson bay doesn't have any fjords
[11:52 PM] BOTiris: <Darvince> but it has been ice sheet many times
[11:54 PM] dessuro: one last comment @Bob Dotrugo
[11:54 PM] dessuro: https://i.gyazo.com/5c94aa6de9c2b8ab5e2ce1718d689690.png big inlets tend to be parallel to the mountain range

[11:54 PM] dessuro: notice how the red circles don't breaki nto the main blue range
[11:54 PM] dessuro: but rather complement it
[11:55 PM] Bob Dotrugo: interesting
[11:55 PM] dessuro: in your fjords they seem to jut into it
[11:55 PM] BOTiris: <Kalassak> haida gwaii
[11:55 PM] dessuro: now
[11:55 PM] BOTiris: <Darvince> nice scandinavia
[11:55 PM] dessuro: lmao
[11:55 PM] BOTiris: <Darvince> you can really tell it's stretched by being equirectangular
[11:56 PM] dessuro: anyways tuto as long as you
[11:57 PM] dessuro: remember to do the mountains first
[11:57 PM] dessuro: the rest will come naturally
[11:57 PM] dessuro: and your fjords will end up looking realistic no matter what
[11:57 PM] dessuro: as i say
[11:57 PM] dessuro: doing fjords before mountains
[11:57 PM] dessuro: is like trying to do rivers before mountains
[11:57 PM] dessuro: one is a natural consequence of the other
NEW MESSAGES
[11:57 PM] BOTiris: <Darvince> fjords are just glacial streams revealed after the ice melts

FiahOwl

« Reply #612 on: July 14, 2017, 01:42:27 AM »
7/13/2017

Green fur is commonly found on many mammals, including humans. The mammal kingdom on Pavala is probably much smaller. Or maybe it's the same size. Regardless, we're not gonna have many Earth animals here. Anyways, I just wanted to throw that green color thing out there.

Most human green hair is usually on the darker side, ranging from something like a darkened broccoli to black. So far we know it to be found in Unuvun and the Florida area south of Tibet, I'm thinking maybe we can spread it northwards into central pangaea, westwards into Nohkta or perhaps even eastwards into Mushroom Tibet. Darvince, Naru what do you guys think?

As for skin color, I think Unuvi people are gonna be pretty fair-to-white (like Han/Korean/Japanese/Inuit/Italian?) I don't really know about facial structure yet, but it will probably be a mix of Asian and Caucasian with a weird feature or two thrown in there... Hmmm I wonder why...

I think that for language we should have a big Nohkta-Florida-Unuvun family kinda like the Indo-European family, making all the languages there loosely related. Now, not all the languages in these regions need to be from this family (e.g. Basque on Earth is kinda just weirdly there) but it'd be interesting to have some unity. I'll need to code up some sort of sound change evolution simulator and we can make a cool proto-language.

I realize that in the middle of this I'm completely forgetting about my Dear Friend Swonx, so I'm gonna figure out somewhere to throw his Mirataka stuff in temporarily. If he doesn't come back soon then I'll just start worldbuilding that for him, trying to think of what he'd like.

I kind of want to do a logographic script but that sounds like hella work. I'm having enough trouble as it is learning Japanese. Other than that I'd probably end up with either a boring alphabet or something. Remind me to look at the advice on like page 17 or something about the basic units of a script determining how the over-all aesthetic looks.

I'm gonna get the evolution ball rolling. Let's see if we can make having two different vertebrate groups work: one with four limbs that goes on to be things like mammals and humans, and one with six limbs that goes on to be all sorts of wild shit. As for human characteristics, I don't really want to change anything too biologically significant from Earth's humans. Perhaps this is selfish but I like being able to visualize myself in Pavala and that's hard to do if we have something weird in Pavalan humans like vestigial limbs, vision outside of the visual spectrum or gills.

So we'll have to figure out when these two groups split off, and fill them with different animals. I'm envisioning right now some flyers with arms or something - like birds with arms or something. Maybe that's how I can get feathercats to work! However I wonder how those six legged animals would behave because they will have split off really early, meaning they might not have a neocortex or something. Darvince any advice here?

I also want some pretty giant creatures on Ivinis. I'm talking man-devouring super-bears or something. Pavala can definitely support much bigger creatures (well, following the square cube law) due to a denser atmosphere that's like a little less than twice as dense as Earth's (unless people wanna change that.) Ivinis can be this huge un-tamed land of great beasts.

As for Ivinis colonization, I'm thinking that if it happens much earlier then colonialism will be a lot looser and there will be more independent countries on Ivinis. So I don't know when the sweet-spot is to colonize and have some big empires. Maybe it's for the better we don't have an age of global imperialism - that's something Kalassak would want I guess, because his Soleanis are pretty defenseless tbh.

I'm looking forward to seeing Amaio, it looks like the elevation is turning out well. Feel free to fatten out tibet so it has more of a connection to Amaio's mountain range - it's thin because the north was supposed to be a peninsula, but it turned into land. So I might do that myself if Tuto doesn't.

I kinda wanna do some worldbuilding in Soleani Canada because that sounds like an interesting place just for the heck of it.

I also can't wait to see what Darvince does with Mushroom India, and maybe I'll join in there too. It'll be an interesting colonial battleground in the future.

I'm thinking the colors of Unuvei should be green and purple, but they don't really meld together. I probably need some sort of high-contrast lining between them, such as a black, silver or gold. I'm leaning towards silver - white fixes a lot of issues in aesthetics.

I strongly urge people to write a bit about Pavala every day. The sooner you get the canon that's been floating on your head onto paper, the sooner you can start working on new canon.

Naru523

« Reply #613 on: July 14, 2017, 03:36:38 AM »
some ? ? ? borders

nohktan borders may be national or subnational

FiahOwl

« Reply #614 on: July 14, 2017, 09:04:40 AM »
Interesting so is that modern day and does that mean no giga nohkta or ?

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #615 on: July 14, 2017, 11:26:54 AM »
wow pretty

Naru523

« Reply #616 on: July 14, 2017, 11:50:16 AM »
Interesting so is that modern day and does that mean no giga nohkta or ?
yes

that is still in debate

FiahOwl

« Reply #617 on: July 15, 2017, 01:07:30 AM »
7/14/2017

I'm thinking of creating the "AK47 of spaceplanes." Basically, a spaceplane that is incredibly widely used, simple and robust. I don't know how it would work exactly - first we need to check if spaceplanes are even feasible on Pavala, if we go with our 2x Earth's atmosphere idea.

Also I have no fucking clue what happened to swonx - it appears he's completely wiped his reddit account and he hasn't been on USF since March. Goddamn internationals always leaving us tbh (rip hellpotatoe!)

I'm pretty impressed with Tuto's Amaio so far and I'm still waiting for Darvince to work on his stuff.

Oh yes, we should probably get to work on Tibet rivers.

As well as: SCRIPTS! I'm not sure whether naru wants to do an abiguda or an alphabet. Regardless, I'll create a sort of proto alphabet whose derivatives are used widely across southwest Pavala.

Also, for counting bases I'm gonna go with base 8. RIP dividing by 3's, but hey who am I kidding, nobody ever does that anyways #nuclearfamily.

We also need to figure out pack animals and staple crops and all those good things. I suggest we have some sort of cool two-legged mount, kinda like an Ostrich/Emu but actually capable of supporting a decent amount of weight. The six-legged vertebrates of Pavala may also be really useful for this, depending on how their brains are wired.

Come to think of it, it would be really cool to have a large family of two legged things that aren't birds/dinosaurs. Or humans.

We also might wanna get to work on some sort of protolanguage for basic vocabulary.

Daily reminder that food-producing trees (as opposed to crops) might be a lot more prevalent so plan around for that. I'll find the thread if anyone is interested. I kinda wanna have rice on Pavala but at the same time I want to explore alien forms of nutrition. But I can't really figure out a world where there are no grasses/cereals, so we might end up with rice anyways. Now, meats on the other hand... mmm...

FiahOwl

« Reply #618 on: July 17, 2017, 01:36:00 AM »
7/16/17

According to recent evidence, humans did not disperse from the rift valley into the rest of the world. Rather, they were bouncing around Africa for a good 100,000 years. Something similar probably happens on Pavala. If we go back farther then we can start drawing some fun diagrams and getting into cool stuff.

So, at the top of our clade diagram we have the VERTEBRATES. These dudes have the spinal column and all that fun stuff I think. Anyways, at some point there's a split between six legged vertebrates and four legged vertebrates (hexapods and tetrapods.) What this means is: Hexapods and tetrapods will be more related to each other than they are to fish. The divergence should probably happen after the development of lungs. Behavior-wise hexapods should thus act like animals and not be totally alien. But a lot of things - feathers, hair, eggs, etc - can be radically different.

Now if we're gonna talk about animals we can't go without mentioning the... two existing animal species on Pavala (besides humans!); knonts and feathercats.

Knonts, at the moment, don't really have a physical appearance. But they do have functions. I'll quote myself:

The knont is a versatile creature, having the milk production capabilities of a cow and the wool-growing capabilities of a sheep. They make a high-pitched, almost croaking neigh from their long snouts, and they are not shy to spit on anything they find annoying. Underneath their massive cloud of wool is a lithe build, lean and generally unfit for meat cultivation compared to other domesticated animals. They have a very ingrained herd mentality.

So knonts make drinkable milk. That means they need to be in some sort of quasi-mammalia, which means they need to be pretty closely related to humans, which implies that they're tetrapods. They also came after the development of hair/fur due to their wool, meaning that this quasi-mammalia also has hair.

I'm gonna make these dudes walk on two legs as well. Two sturdy, t h i c c hind legs. They'll have some quality herd mentality and be able to haul ass across the prairies like nobody's business. They will probably spend most of their time bending over and grazing grass, and supporting themselves with their small forearms, kinda like orthinopods:

As they became more adapted to eating while bent over, they became semi-quadrupedal; still running on two legs, and comfortable reaching up into trees; but spending most of their time walking or grazing while on all fours.

Now, in undomesticated form, they don't really have good wool. Maybe like deer or something. I think in color they should be some sort of green-to-brown, with streaks. That'd look cool. Streak patterns could probably help with social identification. Yeah, let's make these guys kinda smart. But not too smart. So I guess we'll go with zebra-like streaks of green-to-brown, except not as jarring.

Anyways, in domesticated form they produce hella wool. I'm not sure if their wool is streaky or if it's a solid color, so I'll think about it a bit more. Streaky wool would be pretty cool, though.

They also produce milk, it's a very rich and tasty milk, however it can't really be turned into cheese or anything. This is because I don't want knonts to be OP, so I'm gonna nerf their food-producing capabilities by making them not suitable for crazy dairy operations as well as making them pretty lean and not exactly the most suitable for meat cultivation (instead relying on other animals for that, ones that taste better too!)

So anyways we got these knont guys. I'll make a cladogram:

Spinal column
Four legs                                 Six legs
Development of hair
(Green hair?)1
Mammals
Knonts           Humans

1 I dunno how far back to put this. It has to at least have both humans and knonts as descendants.

FiahOwl

« Reply #619 on: July 18, 2017, 01:02:39 AM »
7/17/17

I'm just gonna pick some real low hanging fruit cause I'm hella tired from all the programming. Literally just crashed. Basically I'm gonna pick some low hanging fruit. Plams are interesting because they have this sort of sweet, tarty taste. It's not something kinda vaguely sour like a plum, or citrusy like a citrus, but rather just sweet like a pastry. Ok, maybe not exactly like a pastry. I guess one could approximate it as sort of like a banana but sweeter. Maybe banana bread. Actually, I'm also gonna make the plam be very slightly citrusy. Not enough to be like an orange or something, but still just a tiny hint that you can detect. So plams are gonna like grow vertically in columns inside of a banana-like structure. Think of a pea, except it's stacked more densely inside, the size of a banana and tasty as heck.

Also knont doesn't really work in Unuvi. In their language they call those animals hshila.

This has little to do with fruit but I'm gonna talk about the Pacific Lake. This is that really huge ass lake in the center of Unuvun, and it sits around 50-70 meters above sea level, and goes a thousand or more below, it's really deep and I'm probably underestimating. Anyways, oh my god I'm like so close to passing out. It's probably more like two or three or even four thousand meters now that I think about it ok maybe not four thousand. Anyways, this huge lake compounded with the like 1000-4000mm of rain Unuvun gets every biennial is sure to make sure that island never runs out of water any time soon jesus christ that's a wet place.

Anyways this lake is kinda surrounded by highlands so not much good place to settle except for...

The Imperial River, which is to the north. This is probably the Kyoto of Unuvei - where the original government was. Or maybe they're still there, I dunno. Regardless it's connected with the huge plains of the First Land to the west. Actually why would the Imperial River be in the second land if that's where the important people live.

Hmmm I'm gonna have to fix that one.

Anyways last quick random canon:

Unuvun will probably just have some weird variety of temperate rice tbh. Like it's not gonna be able to be grown anywhere else on Pavala basically except for some random places in very southern Ivinis and maybe areas of Mushroom Tibet, but it's gonna be pretty great regardless. Anyways with rice now we can get into all sorts of fun foods, and I'm thinking of rejecting pasta-style noodles. Hm, I need a traditional broth...

Darvince

• gab
« Reply #620 on: July 18, 2017, 07:03:42 AM »
now you're thinking with mushrooms

FiahOwl

« Reply #621 on: July 19, 2017, 11:11:57 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Agassiz

north amalthea is gonna have some crazy lakes

tuto99

• the electricity may be cut by something stimulus.
« Reply #622 on: July 20, 2017, 08:43:57 AM »
whoa thats big

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #623 on: July 20, 2017, 11:48:48 AM »
mongodb

tuto99

• the electricity may be cut by something stimulus.
« Reply #624 on: July 20, 2017, 12:17:11 PM »
real paint not fake

Darvince

• gab
« Reply #625 on: July 22, 2017, 10:31:22 AM »
ok you say it's going to have normal crazy lakes but how about CRAZY lakes

FiahOwl

« Reply #626 on: July 26, 2017, 11:11:03 PM »
here have your lump

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
Re: Pavala Collab [Revision 110] (7/26/17) "chips n dip" - fiah, probably
« Reply #627 on: July 27, 2017, 01:50:48 AM »
fdnklsm

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #628 on: July 27, 2017, 04:36:10 PM »
mmm chips and dip sound tasty

some amalthean updates, now featuring the serkr archipelagoes

FiahOwl

« Reply #629 on: July 27, 2017, 05:25:02 PM »
wtf is that revision numbering