Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Active Galactic Nuclei Suggestion  (Read 3096 times)

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
Active Galactic Nuclei Suggestion
« on: November 25, 2014, 09:53:58 AM »
You already have nice visuals for black holes, I think it would also be cool to see features for AGNs.
So my suggestion is either just a rendering (without simulation) of components like the accretion disc, torus and jets. If it's not actually simulated, maybe let it just depend on the mass of the black hole, so that the supermassive ones (in the center of galaxies) show the components, but not the regular ones with masses like stars.

Or even cooler (but possibly costly in processing power) simulate the components based on the black hole's mass and how much mass ends up with the right velocities in the right distances around it to build up the torus and accretion disc and eventually spiral in.

Additionally there could be a tutorial or activities explaining AGNs and maybe concepts like the unified model, dynamic friction in the accretion disc, emission/energy production and the Eddington luminosity (limit on emission where outwards photon pressure becomes as strong as inwards gravity) and mass measurements using the virial theorem.

AGN illustration:

Active galactic nuclei info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_galactic_nucleus

crashman1390

• New years resolution:grow beard, shaved every day.
Re: Active Galactic Nuclei Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 03:48:23 PM »
Gr8 m8 I R8 8/8.

But seriously, its a pretty good idea. I second this!

DiamondMiner10

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 02:10:34 PM »
I think that they should add this feature. Its really cool. I think that they removed accretion discs in an early version but had them before.

crashman1390

• New years resolution:grow beard, shaved every day.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 04:00:41 PM »
the 'accretion disks' were a placeholder(I think), they used to have the same graphic as habitable zones.