Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pussification of America  (Read 7653 times)

Jorster

• karma chameleon
Pussification of America
« on: November 24, 2014, 11:22:02 PM »
I was talking to a friend about schools in the US and we got to talking about the bullshit policies that are in place now that are basically creating a generation of people that are unable to deal with issues themselves and causes the so called "pussification". I was just wondering your guys' opinions on the matter, and what you feel about policies like Zero Tolerance, and the general trend of helicopter parenting in the US these days.

Darvince

• 差不多
Re: Pussification of America
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 11:32:09 PM »
i want zirkza to reply to this

Jorster

• karma chameleon
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 11:32:43 PM »
I want everyone to. It's an actual issue that I think is really bad for the future of the country in general

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 11:35:10 PM »
yes it will lead to a generation of people who know how to get around authority and circumvent their leaders much more effectively and also frustrated people who don't know how to live

Jorster

• karma chameleon
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 11:38:40 PM »
I mean, Kids and teens have been circumventing authority for centuries. I think now we're leaning towards setting kids up for failure, especially with things such as no fail schools or what have you. An example is my brother Connor, who literally has zero practical skills. Every time he has a problem with anything he comes to me or parents, or whatever. The minute he's out on his own he's mostly fucked.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 11:39:55 PM »

Jorster

• karma chameleon
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 11:45:14 PM »
http://www.catalyst-chicago.org/news/2013/10/22/63954/students-sake-say-no-no-zero-policy-grading
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/03/no-zero-grading-policy-in_n_1253663.html
http://www.nassp.org/tabid/3788/default.aspx?topic=A_Failure_Free_Zone

A choice quote is
The grading guide states that teachers should not be satisfied with issuing grades below a student's potential.
If we graded solely based on potential we'd have a bunch of A students, but it wouldn't help anything because you'd get the occasional methhead student with 0 potential at that exact moment, and you'd be forced to fail them.

Another example of the grade padding to prevent failing is evident in this distribution of average grades:

It shows that a majority of grades are in the A and B range, when, given an idea grading system, the average should be C, because it is the "meets expectations" kind of grade.

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 09:12:05 AM »
It shows that a majority of grades are in the A and B range, when, given an idea grading system, the average should be C, because it is the "meets expectations" kind of grade.
If most people perform better than simply meeting the expectations, it doesn't have to be the average.
The expectations don't rise because people's skills do. (The problem could be expectations falling or people's skills rising, and I assume you mean expectations have fallen.)
Grades are exactly meant to be individual, at least here, so it's decided how well you have to answer tests to get certain grades before the exams, and isn't allowed to change based on how many gets certain grades (which would make your grade depend on how well others in your class perform). Of course it's impossible to make it completely free of bias, but I think it's a good principle rather than giving everyone in some class worse grades because they just happened to have a bunch of very studious people. Or the other way around.

But we also have problems in Denmark with people making private schools with principles that are completely different from the education system in general, there have been some examples like no grades and essentially kindergarten-like classes. Also some examples where every student is forced to shake hand with the school leader every morning and mandatory Latin classes, kol, as if the school was stuck in the 1950's. Oh and don't forget the religious "schools".

I don't really have any comments on pussification because I'm not sure what you mean and the evidence for such a trend compared to the past.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:18:50 AM by Bla »

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 09:18:30 AM »
yes at my religious school we learn opinions to shout at libruls instead of truth /s

tbh though most of what i learn is from wikipedia instead of school (see: linguistics, climatology)

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 08:31:30 AM »
"pussification"

well at least USA lets MtF's go to the girl's changing room and vice versa

Jorster

• karma chameleon
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 09:38:59 AM »
That's not related at all. What I'm saying here is the fact that America is creating a generation of people who are wholly reliant on the system, being school system, parents, what have you. Any thoughts on that?

@Bla
The Bell curve is supposed to show that teachers seem to be afraid of giving people points based on actual skills, more participation. In 48 of the classes I've taken in High School, at least 80% of them have been almost completely participation based. This breeds the mindset that "You tried so you are as good as someone who did everything right", which I personally think is detrimental to society as a whole

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 09:43:57 AM »
Any thoughts on that?

kol nope because everyone knows that You Essay is an "independent" country

Jorster

• karma chameleon
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 09:54:42 AM »
>You Essay is an "independent" country
wat

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 10:51:01 AM »
The Bell curve is supposed to show that teachers seem to be afraid of giving people points based on actual skills, more participation.
Ok, but it only shows the distribution, not the reason however. E.g. if people are simply performing well, that could lead to the same distribution as if teachers were giving points based on participation. I was just commenting on
Which I don't think is true.
But besides from that, I do think grades should be based on skills rather than simply participation. Participating certainly does help people  to get skills, but there are many other ways to do that than giving people grades only for participating.

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 12:26:48 PM »
wat

You Essay=USA
Usa depends on all the moms so it doesn't crash terribtly because of ppl like jorrj bussh

speaking of pussies my school still neglects sex ed and sexual biology is blocked on wikipedia pls help

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 03:53:29 PM »
wat

You Essay=USA
Usa depends on all the moms so it doesn't crash terribtly because of ppl like jorrj bussh

speaking of pussies my school still neglects sex ed and sexual biology is blocked on wikipedia pls help

tor if you want to encrypt traffic and stay anonymous

or, if you just want a simple workaround, there are a few chrome proxy plugins. i recommend zenmate.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 08:53:22 PM »
An example is my brother Connor, who literally has zero practical skills. Every time he has a problem with anything he comes to me or parents, or whatever. The minute he's out on his own he's mostly fucked.

conzy wanted to borrow a pickaxe so i told him to come over and he figured out how to find me in my building in desertopia so he can't be that bad. also he got himself diamond armor so... yeah

Jorster

• karma chameleon
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 09:14:28 PM »
>xray
>nametags that are easily visible
I know for a fact he always uses Nodus.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 09:24:22 PM »
lol bye czneironioy from blacraft

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 10:49:04 PM »

or, if you just want a simple workaround, there are a few chrome proxy plugins. i recommend zenmate.

The Onion Router isn't declared "safe" anymore

Will check out zenmate, though. Any clue how to edit DNS server on iOS for the same function?

I will agree that America is becoming like those children who ask for help before anything.

Jorster

• karma chameleon
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 10:58:19 PM »
just buy a vpn for like 30 a year.

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 11:15:48 PM »
Why should I pay for common knowledge that should be available to everyone?

Jorster

• karma chameleon
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 11:18:38 PM »
because you live in a country that censors your shit haha dont blame me, blame you lving in a place that promotes that kind of bullshit

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2014, 04:27:02 AM »

The Onion Router isn't declared "safe" anymore

Will check out zenmate, though. Any clue how to edit DNS server on iOS for the same function?

I will agree that America is becoming like those children who ask for help before anything.

well can you still download it?

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2014, 04:55:24 AM »
because you live in a country that censors your shit haha dont blame me, blame you lving in a place that promotes that kind of bullshit

Dont pot before post, Jorster =P

Download what?

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2014, 09:17:41 AM »
Plugged in Zenmate; you're sure this is safe, right?

EDIT: Transgender on Wikipedia is available, so I think it works.

Jorster

• karma chameleon
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2014, 09:22:39 AM »
Zenmate is a trustworthy company.

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2014, 09:27:25 AM »
Coming from you =P

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2014, 12:48:31 PM »

Download what?
download tor

Plugged in Zenmate; you're sure this is safe, right?

EDIT: Transgender on Wikipedia is available, so I think it works.
no, not sure

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2014, 07:00:12 AM »
>recommend
>unsure of safety

Mfw