Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When is SPH released  (Read 8152 times)

BrandCollision

• I am a major fanboy of space games :)
When is SPH released
« on: November 18, 2014, 05:37:03 PM »
If you do not understand me, take my word for it : when will the SPH system take a major part in US2? alpha 13? alpha 14? etc. etc.

If you don't know, put your rough estimate to where it should be near

Gordon Freeman

Re: When is SPH released
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 01:53:34 AM »
I can't find the quote right now, but I think it was Georg who said that it'll be out in a few months.

We really need an FSL list; there's been at least three threads asking the same question.

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 03:56:04 AM »
I can't find the quote right now, but I think it was Georg who said that it'll be out in a few months.

We really need an FSL list; there's been at least three threads asking the same question.

I doubt that he said that, since I need to fix issues in it before it is being released... and I am not doing that right now. The ETA is ... later.

BrandCollision

• I am a major fanboy of space games :)
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 02:09:21 PM »

I doubt that he said that, since I need to fix issues in it before it is being released... and I am not doing that right now. The ETA is ... later.
  The reason i want SPH so stupidly bad is because then things could actually spegetify, just so  you know, as well, this would also add working Roche limits, right

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 02:32:58 PM »
The reason i want SPH so stupidly bad is because then things could actually spegetify, just so  you know, as well, this would also add working Roche limits, right

As you have probably already seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGS_gZm6HxI&list=UUA4DuNG1K7AD79qnq_H08zA
Yes, roche is implicit.

The limit actually describes when fluid bodies are ripped apart and does not take into account material strength, and the initial SPH implementation will also not consider material strength.

The issue is, I keep repeating, that we should hopefully make an implementation which makes sense for the majority of users, and not only for those with strong computing platforms. That is the complex time consuming part.

Actually I have been considering testing if it is worth skipping SPH in order to give you what you see in SPH, since you do not want SPH. You want gravitational fluid dynamics, where SPH is only one of many methods to handle that.

I promise, I will tell you when it is available, so you don't really need to keep asking ;-)

BlackMane

• this account has seen all of my cringe phases oof
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 04:16:12 PM »
@Greenleaf, on a off topic. What program do you use to simulate the Moon?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 04:25:27 PM by BlackMane »

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 04:34:55 PM »
@Greenleaf, on a off topic. What program do you use to simulate the Moon?

What are you talking about?
If, on second thought, you mean the video, then it is based on this work
http://www.greenleaf.dk/projects/sph_astronomy

BlackMane

• this account has seen all of my cringe phases oof
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 04:47:41 PM »
@Greenleaf Yes thank you. And is this just animated using knowledge of gravity and other things or is it a program?

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 12:11:43 AM »
@Greenleaf Yes thank you. And is this just animated using knowledge of gravity and other things or is it a program?

All the information, you desire, is on that page and in that paper. Link at the bottom. It is really not that high level. The point was to make it as simple as possible.

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 10:00:44 AM »
Will SPH looks similar to the water physics in this simulation of an Open Sea Turbine?

http://youtu.be/7dkAXmXCcbs

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 03:00:21 PM »
Will SPH looks similar to the water physics in this simulation of an Open Sea Turbine?

Uhm... no. Why would it look like open water with breaking waves?
It will look like what you can see in some of the videos here
https://www.youtube.com/user/GreenleafDevelopment/videos

crashman1390

• New years resolution:grow beard, shaved every day.
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 04:17:03 PM »
I had this question brewing in my mind when I heard about SPH in UBOX2. Will the bodies be rigid like they are currently, but when they stray too close SPH will kick in. Or, will the objects be always under SPH?

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 09:40:31 PM »
Why would it look like open water with breaking waves?

I mean, will it be as fluidic?

Will the bodies be rigid like they are currently, but when they stray too close SPH will kick in. Or, will the objects be always under SPH?

It would only make sense to always have the objects under the effects of SPH (as to simulate tides), but currently I think that the new Tidal Disintegrator planned for Alpha 13 only breaks things at the Roche limit.

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 11:06:10 PM »
I had this question brewing in my mind when I heard about SPH in UBOX2. Will the bodies be rigid like they are currently, but when they stray too close SPH will kick in. Or, will the objects be always under SPH?

For performance reasons, we need to let it be rigid when the strain on the bodies is not large enough to make a soft body be relevant.

WitheHole18

• Nothing is created, nothing is destroyed.
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 11:18:52 AM »
but program of SPH is disponible for download?
Only curiosity,i can?

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 09:46:48 PM »
Is the program you used to simulate SPH available for download? And out of curiosity, can I have the download link?

SPH was simulated by Thomas using the Unity coder, I think.

spacegenius2000

• u r ded. not big soup rice
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 12:58:37 PM »
I could theoretical say that SPH will be available in Alpha 15.