Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: (idea) atmosphere height editor  (Read 7664 times)

BrandCollision

• I am a major fanboy of space games :)
(idea) atmosphere height editor
« on: November 13, 2014, 05:47:27 PM »
It's rather self - explanatory, but basically this would allow you to edit the atmosphere height without changing atmosphere mass, and drag would be simulated, and at huge numbers, barely any drag on the outer regions, this would allow me to edit earth's atmosphere height to add drag to the moon, of course it would also have reentry heating, explained in another topic not created by me

Gordon Freeman

Re: (idea) atmosphere height editor
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 02:12:04 AM »
Sounds interesting...

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 11:27:59 AM »
Being able to change the atmosphere height without changing its mass wouldn't be accurate, considering it is not possible in real life. The quantity of air and the gravity of the object is what determines the height. Also, the Earth wouldn't even be able to hold the atmosphere at a large distance, such as the distance to the Moon anyway. However, I do agree that by changing the mass of the atmosphere, it should get have a greater altitude, with the limit being where the gravity of the object is no longer able to hold any more air.

On the other hand, if you increase the mass of the atmosphere, the pressure will be greater in the bottom, making it more compact... and the height wouldn't change in a linear way. Then some calculus would be necessary, which would make things too complicated to be implemented

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 12:28:31 PM »
Being able to change the atmosphere height without changing its mass wouldn't be accurate, considering it is not possible in real life.

Neither are cube-shaped ring systems, yet they're fun to play around with. This is called Universe Sandbox, not Universe Simulator.

which would make things too complicated to be implemented

There are a lot of things in US2 that some people would consider "too complicated to implement".

I don't see how using mathematics sets up road-blocks for anything.

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 12:50:41 PM »
Are you able to ever agree with someone? Stop criticizing everything. Just a thought

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 12:52:16 PM »
Are you ever able to be open to new ideas? Stop criticizing everything. Just a thought

Cryo

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 07:04:31 PM »
 Gordon has a point you're  quick to shot down ideas you don't like
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 12:23:19 PM by Cryo »

BrandCollision

• I am a major fanboy of space games :)
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 02:11:22 PM »
Being able to change the atmosphere height without changing its mass wouldn't be accurate, considering it is not possible in real life.
On the other hand, if you increase the mass of the atmosphere, the pressure will be greater in the bottom, making it more compact... and the height wouldn't change in a linear way. Then some calculus would be necessary, which would make things too complicated to be implemented
That would be where a realistic atmosphere mode would be introduced, this would make the height controled by climate simulation, and when turned off, the user could do whatever he/she wants

DaniheltheMage

• Ayy lmao
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 09:27:44 PM »
Gordon has a point your quick to shot down ideas you dont like

I don't want to sound like an asshole, but...

*you're

Cryo

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 12:22:02 PM »
Gordon has a point your quick to shot down ideas you dont like

I don't want to sound like an asshole, but...

*you're
i typed the wrong "your're"? thanks ill try to not be as lazy next time

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 01:17:20 PM »
Gordon has a point you're  quick to shot down ideas you don't like

I write an elaborated post explaining why not, at least

creeperz1211

• Hi?
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 10:47:01 PM »
2 things. 1, This is a sandbox, not everything HAS to be realistic and 2, Giant army can add whatever the heck they want. (Plus, Gordon Freeman is a PhD graduate who worked at Black Mesa handling anomalous materials.)

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 10:32:18 PM »
1, This is a sandbox, not everything HAS to be realistic

That is flawed logic to the max. The point of US2 is to teach while entertain; unrealism is for corporate shits.

2, Giant army can add whatever the heck they want.

Again, very flawed. GA could add a feature that randomizes the chance that an object will turn into a gas giant if given enough mass, but this is false in reality, and US2 is a teaching tool.

(Plus, Gordon Freeman is a PhD graduate who worked at Black Mesa handling anomalous materials.)

So if you are a scientist people can't argue with you?

Cryo

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 12:20:01 AM »
Oh nuu it's the return of the atmospheric height thread da horror!!!