Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cooling rate of stuff.  (Read 3505 times)

DrSauce

Cooling rate of stuff.
« on: November 11, 2014, 09:31:43 AM »
I'm not complaining ;).

But it seems that stuff just cools up too fast after impacts. For instance earth can go from a molten world back to a planet with oceans in a year. Huge craters cool in months or something like that. My guess is that it would last quite a bit. I'm no geologist or astrophysician though.

This makes me think also, as a suggestion, how about a "nuclear winter" atmosphere after impacts big enough?

Gordon Freeman

Re: Cooling rate of stuff.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 09:35:05 AM »
I'm not complaining ;).

Certainly sounds like you are at first since I read the subject as "Coding Rate of Stuff". XD

But it seems that stuff just cools up too fast after impacts. For instance earth can go from a molten world back to a planet with oceans in a year. Huge craters cool in months or something like that. My guess is that it would last quite a bit. I'm no geologist or astrophysician though.

Well, with the atmosphere blown away, I think molten planets could easily give off all their heat via luminal emission, but I don't think the cooldown would be that fast.

This makes me think also, as a suggestion, how about a "nuclear winter" atmosphere after impacts big enough?

Would require atmospheric mechanics, which I heard Dan said wouldn't be looked at for the time being.

smjjames

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 12:48:30 PM »
Actualy, they seem to heat up too fast or too much sometimes.

DrSauce

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 12:59:56 PM »

Would require atmospheric mechanics, which I heard Dan said wouldn't be looked at for the time being.

As something real quick for visuals you could just affect the opacity of the atmosphere mesh.

Jar

• Developer
    • Universe Sandbox
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 09:22:28 AM »
We've tweaked the cool-down timing for impacts and crater glows, so you should see this in the next update.

Getting the timing right for all of these factors is an ongoing process.

DrSauce

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 10:33:11 PM »
Yeah, I'm guessing it's a lot of back and forth.

Anyway I like it a lot.... Any plans to implement stuff like the roche limit?

smjjames

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 08:23:02 AM »
Yes there are plans to implement the roche limit :D

They're still working on the fragmenting part of it though.