Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any way to convert Ubox1 to Ubox2?  (Read 3135 times)

Gaiiden

Any way to convert Ubox1 to Ubox2?
« on: October 25, 2014, 06:18:12 PM »
Placing a .ubox file from Universe Sandbox Steam Ed into the folder for Universe Sandbox2 doesn't have it show up in the program. I also can't seem to find any tools to convert them. I'd do it myself, but looks like Ubox2 also doesn't have a way to decompile .ubox into a readable format.

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
Re: Any way to convert Ubox1 to Ubox2?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 07:23:13 PM »
I don't know if there is a way to convert old sim files to US2. Universe Sandbox 2 is a rewritten, overhauled, and reworked simulator. If they did have the ability to convert old sim files, it may not work properly. US2 has new physics, gravity, and calculations to simulate orbits and collisions, and that's something the old game didn't have.

A file converter is always possible I guess, but if Dan and the team wanted to further increase the complexity of Universe Sandbox, backward compatibility with US1 might inhibit this ability.

I could be wrong though, as I am not a game developer, but that's what I would think.   

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 05:53:58 AM »
This isn't something we've spent time on yet. It could be done with some amount of work, but hasn't been prioritized.

What are the simulations you want to open?

Gaiiden

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 03:24:33 PM »
What are the simulations you want to open?

Just some custom simulations. Sic C7 on it, tell him I want my Kerbol system in Ubox2!! ;) Here are two examples:
https://www.youtube.com/user/KSAMissionCtrl/feed (ubox links in description)

And my Kerbol system:
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/94983-Kerbol-System-Planets-Simulated-in-Universe-Sandbox-any-help-with-Kerbin-system

Really these two examples wouldn't be much legwork for me to recreate from scratch in Ubox2, to be honest. But then I also did make a Kerbol simulation with 460 asteroids....

Really I think the only real work you guys need to put towards this at the moment is a tool to let us modify the Ubox file in plain text like we can with the original sim. I understand you have bigger fish to fry for the near future