Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Alpha 13 release date estimate? (Also, galaxies)  (Read 7667 times)

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
Alpha 13 release date estimate? (Also, galaxies)
« on: December 14, 2014, 07:40:56 AM »
It is taking a little too long, in my opinion. I know it is not easy to make a simulator (even using a helpful software like Unity) but I want to ask GA when it is going to be released. Just an estimate.

By the way, I also am anxiously waiting to see galaxies. I hope that in the next next version (Alpha 14), galaxies will be improved. What I want to see is:

• Exact galaxy designs (not just random clouds)
  • More galaxies overall. US1 only had a few. Add the Sombrero Galaxy, Pinwheel Galaxy etc.
  • More galaxy simulations. US1's largest scale simulation was the Local Group sim. I want to see the galaxies mentioned above in a same sim.
  • --> As a complementation of the item above, I suggest you add an edge of the observable universe boundary, as well as its expansion over time. It can be a circle or a slightly transparent sphere. All that limitless exponential zooming out doesn't give me a good sense of scale.
  • In the Properties menu for galaxies, add information on its redshift. I'm not sure how this is gonna work because if you make a galaxy speed up, the redshift will change. It must be somewhat complicated to plug in the equation that calculates it. Also, there must be a frame of reference...
  • Galaxy rotation that includes Dark Matter.

That's it ;)

Gordon Freeman

Re: Alpha 13 release date estimate? (Also, galaxies)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 08:04:55 AM »
Not bad ideas. I would like to point out that it has been a shorter wait (so far) than Alpha 12.

The "random clouds" issue with galaxies is actually a bug. Dan did mention fixing them a few months ago but I don't think we've got any news since.

And I agree with adding more galaxies. Hoag's Object sounds fun.

WitheHole18

• Nothing is created, nothing is destroyed.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 09:19:16 AM »
For me are good idea,yes the galaxy have bug and i don't know there is lag,in alpha 6 there isn't
Maybe is bug.

crashman1390

• New years resolution:grow beard, shaved every day.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 04:23:50 PM »

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 03:39:27 AM »
I'd like to bring your attention to the item with the red arrow. That is a must-have for me

smjjames

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 07:43:31 AM »
I'd like to bring your attention to the item with the red arrow. That is a must-have for me

Are you talking about this?

I don't know what 'item with the red arrow' you're talking about and I doubt GA does either.

Yes, that's a random thing I google image searched for.

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 07:58:36 AM »
Are you talking about your idea for a temperature indicator? It honestly is a must-have and generally sounds pretty easy to code.

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 12:03:09 PM »
Are you talking about your idea for a temperature indicator? It honestly is a must-have and generally sounds pretty easy to code.

No, I mean the fourth item in my list :)

Estwald

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 02:03:16 PM »
Not bad ideas. I would like to point out that it has been a shorter wait (so far) than Alpha 12.

The "random clouds" issue with galaxies is actually a bug. Dan did mention fixing them a few months ago but I don't think we've got any news since.

And I agree with adding more galaxies. Hoag's Object sounds fun.
weird, it feels a lot long this time

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 08:30:06 AM »
guys, add an edge of the observable universe boundary or not? To me, that's something I'd really like to see. That infinite zoom out doesn't give a good sense of scale

Cryo

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 12:42:01 PM »
that should be a toggle-able option 

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 01:19:06 PM »
We are still working on Alpha 13.
Progress is good, but slow. The collision rewrite is taking longer to finish implementing than we'd all prefer.

And galaxies... yes, we plan to make them better. Although it will likely be post-Alpha 14 before we work on them.

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 01:29:29 PM »
it will likely be post-Alpha 14 before we work on them.

:(

pac0master

• Developer of Portal 2: Abyss
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 06:58:05 PM »
We are still working on Alpha 13.
Progress is good, but slow. The collision rewrite is taking longer to finish implementing than we'd all prefer.

And galaxies... yes, we plan to make them better. Although it will likely be post-Alpha 14 before we work on them.

Nice to know. Thanks for the news.

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 12:32:47 PM »
I posted this in another thread, but it's also relevant here.

One of the reason's we've not fully released on Steam is because we're still integrating major features. When we work on something that's highly integrated into the rest of the code, like the base Physics engine and Collision systems. It will tend to stretch out the times between when we can release a stable version of the game. If there's even a small problem there, the game can be unplayable.

So, even if we've got features that are otherwise complete, we can't really release while the rest of the game is undergoing breaking changes.

We're actually looking into a different version control system, so we don't have these issues going forward where we have to wait on all features being complete before a release.

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 03:23:06 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '144700'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:48:15 AM by FiahOwl »

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 08:56:48 PM »
i was wondering
While sound waves cannot travel in space, I do expect to add sounds to an upcoming version of Universe Sandbox.

In addition to simple UI sounds, I may add (but don't consider this a promise) a "Hollywood" fantasy sound mode. While on the schedule, the release with sounds is months from completion.
if you would add just sound. looking at the changelog i see you made stuff for collisions and stars but maybe regular planets will get background music?

Estwald

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 08:32:31 AM »
You could try making separate "beta builds" that testers could download, although if the game is broken because you're overhauling a feature it doesn't really work.
yeah, it would be cool to have nightly builds, like openTTD. Nightly's are builds that are released every night, hence the name, so it shows code that was just added.

Estwald

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 02:45:43 PM »
I mean if only the beta testers get nightly builds, not purchasers. So we can beta test the alpha build in progress.

creeperz1211

• Hi?
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2014, 11:37:14 PM »
I posted this in another thread, but it's also relevant here.

One of the reason's we've not fully released on Steam is because we're still integrating major features. When we work on something that's highly integrated into the rest of the code, like the base Physics engine and Collision systems. It will tend to stretch out the times between when we can release a stable version of the game. If there's even a small problem there, the game can be unplayable.

So, even if we've got features that are otherwise complete, we can't really release while the rest of the game is undergoing breaking changes.

We're actually looking into a different version control system, so we don't have these issues going forward where we have to wait on all features being complete before a release.
Yep, I get it. Some games I have eg. Black Mesa source, is still being worked on and is not available from steam. It is only available at Black Mesa's website. Same with US2.