Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Local orbits  (Read 2364 times)

Camacha

Local orbits
« on: October 07, 2014, 08:19:21 PM »
Universe Sandbox2 does a wonderful job of showing how things in systems relate to each other. It is easy to see how moons rotate around planets and how that fits in the bigger picture. However, it is sometimes a little hard to see how the local system works - for instance, the moons of Jupiter swarm around it in a big cloud with bodies that make all sorts of (apparent) turns and loops, but it is nearly impossible to see or estimate how the orbits actually relate to Jupiter and each other. Might it be an idea to add a mode where these can be seen? So, not the orbits of the moons around the sun, but those around Jupiter or their respective parent bodies.

If I am missing the appropriate setting I apologize and politely ask to be pointed towards it.

creeperz1211

• Hi?
Re: Local orbits
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 09:35:12 PM »
Great idea. I would always like to have local orbits for the gas giants, you know Jupiter Saturn Uranus and Neptune so the moon orbits operate at the actual real life scale.

Electrodynamix

• Australian Alpha Tester and Astronomer
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 01:52:33 AM »
In the original sandbox there was a "Center object" button.  It made the selected object behave like the Center of the Universe, and therefore all objects paths are drawn in relation to it.  That makes it easier to see the paths of moons of planets that are orbiting a star

BrandCollision

• I am a major fanboy of space games :)
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 11:38:14 AM »
In the original sandbox there was a "Center object" button.  It made the selected object behave like the Center of the Universe, and therefore all objects paths are drawn in relation to it.  That makes it easier to see the paths of moons of planets that are orbiting a star
I was never aware of that, and it would be awsome to have it carry over

smjjames

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 11:57:12 AM »

Yeah that. I found it really useful.

Would be cool if they implemented it in this version.