Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nvidia OpenCL  (Read 10797 times)

DrSauce

Nvidia OpenCL
« on: October 04, 2014, 05:18:28 PM »
What do you install to make this work?

What do I need?

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
Re: Nvidia OpenCL
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 08:21:23 AM »
Most integrated graphics and dedicated cards have OpenCL in them. Some graphics cards may have older versions of it, however.

First of all, before I get into details, what are your computer's specs? Knowing what is inside your computer will help determine what is needed to get you up and running. If you don't know how to find them, I'll help.

If you have a PC, go to Start, click in the search bar, then type "dxdiag." (without quotes)

Hit enter and a window should appear. Click on the "display" tab, this should list the graphics card inside your PC. You can save all the info listed, just click on "Save All Information." You can attach the file to this post if you want.

DrSauce

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 07:20:55 PM »
   Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         860  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
             Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8188MB RAM
          Page File: 3971MB used, 20213MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 08:51:54 PM »
   Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         860  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
             Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8188MB RAM
          Page File: 3971MB used, 20213MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti

You should be good to go. Since you have a GTX 650 Ti, you shouldn't need to do anything, that GPU should have OpenCL already installed (most do right out of the box).

DrSauce

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 09:41:59 PM »
The problem that I have is that opencl doesn't compute anything. Trajectories are straight, gravity doesn't affect anything and collisions don't work. The device is detected but doesn't work.

I switch to CPU to compute, it works but it's a slide show.

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 10:11:07 PM »
That's odd. :/

I've seen other users have a similar problem to yours. The devs suggest downloading a newer version of OpenCL, but I'm not quite sure where you download it. I'd have to find an old thread that mentioned it. In fact, there is a good chance a dev might see this thread and could help you out, but I'll look for some old threads.

EDIT: I couldn't find anything specific about where to download OpenCL, but I did find a list of supported GPUs that have OpenCL. Your GTX 650 Ti lists OpenCL, ver 3.0 for compute tasks, so I don't know why it's not working. Version 3.0 is one of the newest iterations of OpenCL (other than 5.2), so it should it work. There has to be an underlying cause. Maybe there is a way to reinstall CL on your GPU, that might fix it.

A dev may have to help you through the steps on this one though, as I have never installed CL before.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 10:24:41 PM by The Ventifact »

DrSauce

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 02:46:11 PM »
Are there some drivers for this aside from the god awful nvidia updates?

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 03:35:05 PM »
Maybe you should try re-installing the drivers on you GPU. The newest drivers available for your GTX 650 Ti is version 344.11  WHQL.

You can find it here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Just choose your series type, operating system, then select the 650 Ti. It should link you to the newest driver. Also, if re-installing doesn't work, try a clean install. When you go through the installation process, check mark the box that says "clean install." This will reset your current Nvidia settings from the Nvidia control panel, but it will ensure that the driver is installed correctly.

As a side note, the drivers should come with OpenGL and OpenCL, so it should install it if it was missing from your card for some reason (something would be really wrong if it did). If the game is not recognizing OpenCL from your GPU, maybe some files are corrupted. Try verifying the game cache. To do that, right click on Universe Sandbox 2, then properties>local files>verify integrity of game cache.

This will verify the game's files to see if any are missing or corrupted and reacquire them. If after all this, and it still doesn't work, then I don't know what will get you up and running.

One final thing, you can try these steps here to see if it works for you: http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/topic,13207.0.html

They are mostly related to start up problems, but you may find the answer you are looking for. I hope this was of some help to you.

DrSauce

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 06:49:40 PM »
These are my current drivers and they were installed after I did a manual de-installation via the device manager.

DrSauce

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 06:50:29 PM »
And those drivers are plain awful, lots of issues with my card.

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 07:28:14 PM »
And those drivers are plain awful, lots of issues with my card.

Then I don't know what is wrong with your GPU. The game should recognize your 650 as a compute device for OpenCL. And I don't know why you're having trouble with the latest drivers, I have them on my GTX 770 and they work for me, so they must not be THAT awful. But who knows... :P

I'd hate to say this dreaded phrase, but your card could be going out. First, what I should say is, how long have you had it? I guess that doesn't really matter, never mind.

There is one last thing we can look at, and that's the output log the game generates every time it is launched. It logs the current session and outputs it to a text file.

It can be found by going into: Steam/steamapps/common/Universe Sandbox 2/Universe Sandbox x64_data

There should be a file called "output_log." This is the file that logs the current session. You can attach it to this thread if you like, as a dev might see it and be able to help you out. More often then not, these logs help pinpoint where a problem is so Giant Army can fix glitches for future patches (and help anyone who can't get the game running).

Hopefully you can get your problem solved, this is quite a cool simulator, and it would be a shame to miss out on it because of technical problems.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 09:40:17 PM by The Ventifact »

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 02:04:45 AM »
It sounds like you're getting some kind of error, if the gravity isn't actually computing trajectories correctly.

It would be really useful to get your logs when that is happening. There's instructions for finding your logs in the link below.

http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/topic,12458.0.html

DrSauce

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 07:28:15 PM »
There you go.

I already did post a log earlier about this. It's kinda strange, I don't get it myself.

DrSauce

Same problem.
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 08:35:29 AM »
Updated and Opencl still doesn't work.

Collisions don't work, objects are not affected by gravity, etc...

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 03:14:59 PM »
Checking your logs here, they do show that there are two compute devices on the system, both your regular cpu and the GTX 650 ti.

If you go to the settings for the game, you should see an entry for gravity. If you click the little plus sign next to it, it will expand to show you the advanced options. You're looking for the compute device option. It should have two entries, one for Regular CPU, and another for your GTX 670. Choose the 670 and close out the window.

See if it runs any better for you after that. (Reload the current simulation while you're at it).

If you could, please post your logs from Alpha 12 after you test this. Since the logs I see you posted are from 11.3.

Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jihcljv0hod9is4/Screenshot%202014-11-03%2017.12.20.png?dl=0

im4space

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 07:14:12 AM »
How can I find out what video cards support OpenCl? I have an NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT. Should it support OpenCL? It only shows Regular CPU in the settings.

DrSauce

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 01:01:45 PM »
Regular CPU is a slideshow but works.

GeForce doesn't works, things go straight, no gravity, no collisions but very smooth framerate.

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 04:07:49 AM »
This is a list of all products conforming to the specifications for OpenCL. Just do a search for your model number. We're running OpenCL 1_1 (1.1).

I checked and your 9600gt is on the list. You need to be running Vista or higher as your OS though.

https://www.khronos.org/conformance/adopters/conformant-products/

im4space

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 07:29:00 AM »
I am running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. I have a i7-860, 4 GB RAM, and an NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT. I am running the GeForce 340.52 driver. So should I be able to run OpenCL? I have included my log file.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 07:16:20 AM by im4space »

im4space

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2014, 07:41:21 AM »
To run OpenCL on Universe Sandbox ² on an NVIDIA card, does it require a CUDA Compute 1.3 or higher card? 1.3 and higher support double precision. My NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT is CUDA 1.0 and doesn't support double precision.

DrSauce

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2014, 02:41:00 PM »
Congrats, you fixed it! ;)

It works and it's incredible to use.

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 05:09:10 AM »
There's two parts to OpenCL, your hardware needs to support it, and your Software / drivers need to as well. We do use some advanced features of OpenCL, so it's quite possible your card supports some features, but is being disqualified due to limitations in other areas.

The other alternative, is that your hardware is functional, but your drivers for OpenCL aren't working correctly.

I'm glad to hear your OpenCL is finally working DrSauce. It seems your issue was related to the fixes we implemented for OSX Yosemite.