Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: [BUG] Update 11.2 Antialiasing kills the performance  (Read 3994 times)

Plutonium

[BUG] Update 11.2 Antialiasing kills the performance
« on: September 23, 2014, 12:02:29 AM »
After updating to 11.2 my performance test rating went down. On alpha 10.1 high settings I had 48 (med-52; low-54), alpha 11.1 was similar (don't have the exact numbers).

Now on x64 the rating on high settings is 12.45 (med-18.9; low-59).

I tried to play with the settings and it turned out that Anti-aliasing and Filtering are the reasons for the massive performance drop. The performance rating with AA off and Filtering on low is 50.57 (everything else on high), with even 2x AA the rating drops to 25.

Also after a collision (Earth & Moon) the fps never recovers from its lowest.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 01:28:33 PM by C7 »

spa_sapping

Re: Update 11.2 Antialiasing kills the performance
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 12:36:10 AM »
the game still in alpha, i would expect everything from bugs to crashes, but of course every feedback and report help the developers.

I am pretty sure the game cant keep up on every PC specs during updates,

Right now, if i were you i would upload my PC specs, i am no expert PC geek, but you never know. devs would probably ask for that too

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 12:41:57 AM »
I've looked into your performance logs here (thanks for those by the way), and I can clearly see the drop from the last update to this one. We're looking into what's causing the issues. Hopefully we can figure out what's up.

spa_sapping

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 12:50:22 AM »
I've looked into your performance logs here (thanks for those by the way), and I can clearly see the drop from the last update to this one. We're looking into what's causing the issues. Hopefully we can figure out what's up.
Do you guys work 24/7 or something, because your doing a pretty good job for a small team  ;)

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 07:45:53 PM »
What are your PC specs? Many games that use anti aliasing take a good graphics card to run without performance dropping drastically. I would suggest turning off AA and lowering Filtering Quality until another update helps it run better for you.

I've got a GTX 770 in my rig and it gobbles up US2 with room to spare. Its cool that Giant Army made the system requirements wide enough so many people can enjoy this simulator, but I think that if you want to go real crazy, you would need a GPU like mine or above to really push what Universe Sandbox can do.

US2 is shaping up to be a really cool simulator, thanks GA. :-)

Plutonium

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 09:36:02 PM »
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I understand the meaning of alpha and logs were sent via the feedback form. I'm just reporting the issue as any alpha tester is supposed to do. A forum thread may help others with similar issues which started since 11.2 (11.1 was ok).

The PC specs are good enough to handle most of the simulations oh high settings: GTX 780M, i7-2.4GHz, 16GB ram (it is a laptop).

I'll go ahead and try a clean install to see if it helps.

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 10:12:53 PM »
I'm curious, in the earlier versions, did you have the AA turned all the way up when you did the performance tests? I know a mobile gpu has a hard time with high levels of AA, and we do 8x if you have high graphics settings enabled.

From most performance logs, I'm seeing that things are running faster for most users doing performance tests with similar equipment.

Plutonium

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 10:26:44 PM »
Yes, it was on 8x almost every time, however I lowered it to 4x when alpha 11 came but it was never below 4x. The rating numbers in first post are with preset high/med/low settings.

Clean install didn't help.

valentin123

• Argentinian alpha tester
Re: [BUG] Update 11.2 Antialiasing kills the performance
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 07:37:11 AM »
thanks to my computer the game with all the graphical options maxed out im having 40-60 fps everytime