Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Idea : Custom Materials  (Read 7728 times)

Universip

• Universe Sandbox² is AWESOME !
Idea : Custom Materials
« on: September 24, 2014, 05:09:07 AM »
I have an idea.
It's custom materials !

When editing a planet a, you can add materials. But I it would be nice to create custom materials.
How the custom material button would look like :
Name : Name of material
Type
Rock : Like "silicates", change planet density, you can set the density of the material.
Liquid : Like water, fill up spaces. You can set the evaporating temperature, the fusion temperature, color when liquid, color when frozen
Gaz : Like "Hydrogen". Turn planet into a gaz giant when you add too much. You can set it color, and the color of the gaz will impact the color of the gaz giant.

You can't have 2 Liquid type material on a planet at once.

It would be really cool to have this option in game !

Xriqxa

• 01000011 01101111 01101101 01101101 01110101 01101
Re: Idea : Custom Materials
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 05:14:28 AM »
When editing a planet a, you can add materials. But I it would be nice to create custom materials.
How the custom material button would look like :
Name : Name of material
Type
Rock : Like "silicates", change planet density, you can set the density of the material.
Liquid : Like water, fill up spaces. You can set the evaporating temperature, the fusion temperature, color when liquid, color when frozen
Gaz : Like "Hydrogen". Turn planet into a gaz giant when you add too much. You can set it color, and the color of the gaz will impact the color of the gaz giant.

*gas

Awesome idea. Speaking of which, it'd be nice to see GA add some more material dispensers, and even add a temperature editor for the particles!

That's a stupid limitation. Why can't they combine?

Universip

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 05:46:09 AM »
(I never know if it's "gas" or "gaz")
Yeah, this may be stupid.
But what would happen when two liquid combine then ?

Xriqxa

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 09:27:38 AM »
It's always "gas". "Gaz" is a Persian candy.

What would happen? Combining of colors, chemical reactions, etc.

Cryo

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 10:31:58 AM »
i like this idea acidic oceans would be cool

Universip

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 10:57:08 AM »
But wouldn't it be hard to define every chemical reaction ? Because we can't just let randomly generated reactions to happen. I don't want 2 liquids to explode even though thoses liquid are apple juice and orange juice.

Xriqxa

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 11:01:33 AM »
Apple Juice and Orange Juice are made of thousands of differently chemicals, idk if it would be available.

But wouldn't it be hard to define every chemical reaction ?

Probably, but if we just had a few tens of chemicals it wouldn't be as hard compared to what GA has already done.

Universip

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 09:15:05 AM »
I mean, I would name my liquids "orange juice" and "apple juice", and give them their respective color and evaporation/fusion point. Then, how would I define the reaction of custom material, if I create like 10 custom materials ?

spa_sapping

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 09:26:29 AM »
For some reason took me a big while to figure out what you mean

Myb im drunk..

ALTHOUGH GREAT IDEA

Universip

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 09:57:11 AM »
But I'm wondering how a planet with 2 liquid would look like ? Would it mix the two instanly or would it create lakes of one and lakes of the other ?
(I want a planet with apple juice oceans)

Xriqxa

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 10:05:49 AM »
SPH comes into play here again.

Universip

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 10:55:04 AM »
Why exactly ?

Xriqxa

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 10:57:32 AM »
Because currently surface liquid is a single heightmap sphere inside the said planet, which can only be one color without looking wonky. With SPH, tons of particles of liquid will be simulated, allowing for 2 or more different liquids to be on the surface of a planet.

Universip

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 10:58:24 AM »
weeeeeeeeeee awesome
I wonder at wich point of development SPH is !

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 11:22:49 AM »
The materials system is built to be easily modded and expanded in the future.

Additionally, you can have many types of materials of various kinds on a planet right now. That includes multiple liquids, gasses and core / crust materials. We just don't have any in at the moment, since there's no visual feedback that these things have changed. For instance, liquids all appear as water right now.

It's my hope that we'll be able to spend more time expanding that system soon, with better visual feedback. But there's still some work to be done first.

nosirrbro

• UUNNIIVVEERRSSEE SSAANNDDBBOOXX
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 03:40:09 PM »
But I'm wondering how a planet with 2 liquid would look like ? Would it mix the two instanly or would it create lakes of one and lakes of the other ?
(I want a planet with apple juice oceans)
You could probably add density as an option, and the lowest density material would be on top. And then when SPH happens, this could be an awesome feature to have hydrogen particles rise out of the surface, if they somehow got stuck in there, instead of behaving like silicate or iron.

BrandCollision

• I am a major fanboy of space games :)
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 05:36:47 PM »

[/quote] Maby the density of the liquid would show whether or not which one is shown (the lightest density one would be shown, as it would float to the surface, but they would mix if same or very similar densities)

For some reason "maby" needs spell check, and the word I'm looking for does not show in the spell check feature

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 02:16:30 AM »

Because US2 doesn't even have two liquids, just water.

For some reason "maby" needs spell check

That's because it's spelled "maybe."

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 02:55:09 AM »

We generally have no "stupid limitations". Everything is a weighing of gains vs. development cost. We can support multiple layers of fluid and solids on a planet and model that in sufficiently high resolution with SPH. We can show the tides roll across the planet. We can add huge waves in the ocean when it is impacted. We can quickly add localized impact heating and boiling oceans. and so on and so on... not that complicated really...

What we cannot do easily is make this run at any reasonable rate on anything but a huge research grade system...  if we do not do it... is it a stupid limitation?

What we constantly try to do is to add all sorts of effects and options, and have it run at a rate where is is interactive. That is when it becomes hard, because then we cannot simply apply the real physics and solve it the proper way, but we have to make all sorts of tricky code decisions and assumptions... and that is where we sometimes need to draw a line.

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 11:14:28 AM »
I don't think that can work at all.  Saying the material is a Liquid, for instance, is too arbitrary. Different liquids have different densities, and the volume of the planet would change in a different way by altering the quantity of "liquid". The same can be applied for gasses. There is a huge difference between Hydrogen and Sulfur Dioxide (which is a heavy gas found in Venus).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 11:29:47 AM by gabriel.dac »

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2014, 03:57:20 PM »
Just to chime in here. You can have any number of gasses, and liquids on a planet. You're not limited to water. It's just the only material we've bothered to include so far. The same applies to gasses, we've just not included many yet.

Right now, we're treating all materials as occupying discrete "layers". So if that layer is half water and half benzine, it will act as a general combination of the two liquids. So the total heat capacity, state and other representations will be dynamic based on the amounts of the components that make it up. This applies to all other materials as well.

These layers are also used to give an approximation of the material compression and properties that determine a body's radius and density. The actual calculations for this are incredibly intensive, so we compute them offline and evaluate them in realtime.

I'd love to be able to simulate this even more accurately, but we have an incredibly small time window in which to calculate the material composition of a body and maintain a reasonable framerate on a standard computer.

Cryo

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2014, 09:35:19 PM »
now only if we all had super computers the size of desktops that be great and there'd be a lot more breathing room for the game
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 10:46:48 AM by Cryo »

Gordon Freeman

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2014, 11:37:10 PM »
You can have any number of gasses, and liquids on a planet. You're not limited to water. It's just the only material we've bothered to include so far. The same applies to gasses, we've just not included many yet.

That's what I meant.