Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: question  (Read 1129 times)

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
question
« on: September 23, 2014, 01:24:17 PM »
ok so say there's a door
if this is confusing please tell what

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
Re: question
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 01:44:33 PM »
You mean Planck length?

A physical door is made up of atoms that vibrate and stuff, moving many planck lengths around all the time due to their temperature whether you open it slightly or not. Moving the atoms near the end by a planck length would make an insignificant contribution to it.

To me it sounds a bit like you're describing a mathematical door? A perfectly thin, continous line, in that case, the line between the endpoints would move within the planck length, but remember the particles in the physical door would fluctuate all around the line and not be locked to it.

I haven't started on quantum mechanics yet (starting on it in November) so I don't know all that much about the properties of the planck length. But I don't think it's necessary to answer the question, depending on what you precisely mean ofc.

More fundamentally (or what you probably intended to find out), your question sounds like 'can anything move a distance shorter than the Planck length'?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 02:04:57 PM by Bla »

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 02:38:02 PM »
yeah i guess, good point

Xriqxa

• 01000011 01101111 01101101 01101101 01110101 01101
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 09:40:01 PM »
Point B would have moved 0.5 Planck Lengths. Since the line is infinitely thin, there is no limit to length. Therefore, Point B would have indeed moved.

A Planck Length is the smallest measurable distance, but not the limit.

Always a bigger galaxy, always a smaller particle