Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: [SUPPORT] Game claims I am un unsupported pixel shader when using DirectX 11  (Read 12241 times)

emraldmars

Okay, so I have posted a few times about this.  I finally scrolled through the output log and it claims that I have an unsupported pixel shader.  This makes NO SENSE to me as I use DirectX 11, which should be using shader 5.0 according to everything that I have read online, and last time I checked 5.0 came out AFTER 3.0.  Am I going to have to DOWNGRADE to play??? ???  I've checked for missing updates on Windows and all of my video drivers, and the problem does not seem to be my PC.

I'm attaching my latest output log.  If I can't get some answers I want to be refunded (for now) and I will wait impatiently for the game to be released officially.  This is very frustrating and is quickly escalating into something that I just don't want to deal with any more.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 02:30:47 PM by Jar »

Georg

• Development Team
Re: [BUG] Game claims I am un unsupported pixel shader when using DirectX 11
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 09:35:23 AM »
We've investigated your case. Your log states:

Direct3D:
    Version:  Direct3D 9.0c [igdumdx32.dll 8.14.10.1930]
    Renderer: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
    Vendor:   Intel
    VRAM:     64 MB (via DXGI)
    Caps:     Shader=20

Your GPU is reported to be an integrated Intel Express, supports shader model 2.0 (needs at least 3.0), has 64MB of video RAM (needs at least 512).

DirectX 11 can be installed on machines without shader model 5 support (for Windows 7 and up DirectX 11 is the default). There's no standard that links DirectX versions and shader models.

That means:

Even if you have DirectX 11 installed, your hardware must be capable to use its advanced features. If it's not, DirectX 11 will fall back to DirectX 9c (or lower), as it's backwards compatible. No problem so far, we only need DirectX 9c - but your GPU still doesn't support shader model 3.0.

Consequently (and unfortunately) your system does not meet the minimum hardware requirements. We'll be in touch with you.

Best regards,
George
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 09:39:30 AM by Georg »

emraldmars

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »
So this means that I would need a different machine entirely, or just that I am going to need to upgrade some parts?  One is a much bigger deal than the other, and quite the hassle...  Please let me know.  I will private message my contact information to go over options from here, thank you.

Georg

• Development Team
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 10:33:40 AM »
(Thanks for your contact info. Posting here because it might be of help to others in your situation.)

Depending on your spare time and budget, there are two options available to you:

1. upgrade to a new computer entirely (more expensive, more hassle, but a contemporary machine will run the software very well) or

2. invest in a replacement graphics card (less expensive, less hassle, the software will run decently, albeit you won't set any speed records).

If you have the budget I'd go with a new system, much better hardware than yours can be had for a fraction of the price of your old machine back then. If you can't be bothered with the hassle or otherwise prefer option 2, make sure that your system has a PCI express slot (I think it does), and take a look at reviews for entry level PCI-E graphics cards, like here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-2.html

Hope I could help,
George
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:38:42 AM by Georg »

emraldmars

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 11:09:34 AM »
This helped a lot.  I placed an order for a new video card, it should arrive Tuesday.  Hopefully this works!

Georg

• Development Team
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 11:16:51 AM »
Which one did you end up buying, if I may ask?

emraldmars

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 11:38:06 AM »
Should an EVGA GeForce 210 1GB DDR3 be okay?  I am REALLY on a limited budget, and I am replacing this machine in the Spring or around Christmas...  If I should change the order, I will do so immediately.  My BIG concern now is that the computer I have has the integrated video card.  There is a slot for a new card (based on info of me scouring the Internet for the past half-day), but appears to be compatible with PCI but not PCIe.  Is that a thing?  Would I be better off cancelling the current order in favor of the GT 730?  I can do that, no problem.  And what will I need to do about updating my drivers once (either) is installed?

emraldmars

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 01:06:42 PM »
Just to be on the safe side, I DID cancel the order that I placed, and went through with the GT 730.  Everything online seemed to indicate that it was compatible, so I am going to install and hopefully play by midweek next week.  For anyone curious I ordered with tigerdirect.com.  I had originally placed with a PC Maintenance product as well, but I have fairly good maintenance software. Whole thing came out to around $68 with shipping.

Georg

• Development Team
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 01:35:23 PM »
The GeForce 730 is a much better choice than the GeForce 210, it's still not very fast, though.

However:

The 730 is a PCIe card, so your motherboard must have a PCIe slot for that to work! Please double check that it has one of those. Also please post vendor data about your machine, especially the motherboard make and model. Is your computer a complete system made completely by one company / OEM (such as Acer etc) or is it made from separate components? If you find that info I can help determining if your machine is compatible with a 730.

emraldmars

My machine is a reurbished inspiron 530 (dell) with most of the original parts.  There were a couple of minor upgrades, but I want to say most of the parts are made by Dell, if not all.  Also, I'm not a hard gamer.  I do this game, Simcity 4, and Sims 3.  This is the game with the most advanced graphics.  Basic functionality trumps everything else for me.  Right now I am going based on information that I have gleaned from Google-- others have updated  computer similar to mine to a 730 card.

I would like to add though, that if it ends up that my computer is not compatible with this part, Tigerdirect would be able to take back the part and send the 210 card, but customer service has told me that this card WILL work as an upgrade to the integrated video card built into the motherboard.

Since buying the computer I have lost contact with the refurbishing party, and I don'r know a lot about the internal workings.  This is turning out to be as much of a lesson for me in computers and compatibility issues as it is for the game itself.  The part should be arriving Tuesday or Wednesday, but  I'm not going to play around too much with the machine before then.  I will definitely update on this thread though as I go through my adventure!  And THANK YOU Georg for being so helpful, it is definitely appreciated.  Been telling friends about this game and about the amazing people working on it.  Just keeping my fingers crossed that this fix works!! ;D

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
Re: [SUPPORT] Game claims I am un unsupported pixel shader when using DirectX 11
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 07:02:06 PM »
If your PC isn't 10 years old, most newer computers include both PCI, and PCI-E slots (they are one in the same, PCI-E being the GPU slot), so it shouldn't matter which graphics card you buy. The Motherboard should have a PCI-E x16 slot for the card to fit.

It looks like this... note the PCI-E x16 slot, it's the long yellow one (yours may be a different color, however):

emraldmars

Re: [SUPPORT] Game claims I am un unsupported pixel shader when using DirectX 11
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 07:47:17 PM »
My God.  You are incredible.  THANK YOU.

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 10:17:36 PM »
That's an excellent picture, thank you Ventifact.

The only thing I'll add is this. You may want to check the power supply rating.

I used to do a lot of computer repair work and I've serviced a ton of those Dell 530 series desktops. The early models had just enough of a power supply to barely run the equipment that came stock, they failed a lot and the later models had a little bit more powerful power supply because of that. As I recall, they also had a single Pci-e slot.

On the power supply itself, is a little sticker that should have the maximum output wattage listed. If it's the 300 watt or higher version (or has been replaced) it should have enough power for the 210 card.

wubbzy301

• I stole a username idea!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 05:53:34 PM »
Code: [Select]
Direct3D:
    Version:  Direct3D 9.0c [igdumd32.dll 9.17.10.3347]
    Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics
    Vendor:   Intel
    VRAM:     848 MB (via DXGI)
    Caps:     Shader=30
;D

emraldmars

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 08:08:59 PM »
I was able to successfully install my new graphics card, and....  THE GAME WORKS.  I have to have it on the lowest settings, and I can't do the more complex simulations, but I think this is actually going to work for now!!