Welcome, Guest

Poll

Will Scotland become independent?

Yes
5 (71.4%)
No
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Independence of Scotland  (Read 2860 times)

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
Independence of Scotland
« on: September 18, 2014, 02:29:39 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '136627'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:05:44 AM by FiahOwl »

matty406

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
Re: Independence of Scotland
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 04:38:55 PM »
It would be really great if Scotland became independent.

TheMooCows

• Why should I have to trust humans?
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 05:56:30 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks the world needs to be more unified, rather than fractured? In my opinion, we should have one language, one currency...

We are so disjointed as a world and while I don't think that the american dollar or even english as the universal language...

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 06:42:38 PM »
Having america dollar or English as a universal language would be a terrible idea, but it seems to be heading that way for English since America produces huge quantities of media that residents of other nations want to consume. I think people should definitely retain their own language, whatever it may be, and English could be the lingua franca like French was beforehand. It's already like that in India and parts of Nigeria.

TheMooCows

• Why should I have to trust humans?
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 06:53:34 PM »
I'm not saying that English should be the universal language. I just think it's a good idea. As a world we are so fractured  and wars have been started over language misunderstandings.

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 06:59:19 PM »
English is too weird, have chinese? it actually makes sense and it's grammar isn't funky

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 10:22:58 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks the world needs to be more unified, rather than fractured? In my opinion, we should have one language, one currency...
Agreed, however I think whether independence vs. union is better depends on the circumstances. Because unions can cause problems that make up for their unity. The fact that much of Europe is cooperating in the EU is good... but EU's corrupt, undemocratic structure and the troubles it causes for many of the member states' economies like pressure on wages and welfare, plus its economic policies for subsidizing farmers that leads to destruction of food whenever the market prices get out of hand, that's not good. I'd rather be without the EU but I'd still like Europe to cooperate.

I don't know a lot about Scotland's situation and all the background for why much of it wants independence. I just hope the majority who voted yes or no do so for rational reasons and not just for the usual right-wing airheaded yearning for national identity and all those feelings that have nothing to do with solving actual problems, that certainly is the kind of things that fracture the world and creates pointless division. From what I've read it doesn't seem like the majority wants independence for those kind of reasons.

Anyway, they voted no
http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Udland/2014/09/19/060314.htm
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 12:05:05 AM by Bla »

SpyCreepers

• Confederation Helvetia
Scotland is Still part of Britain.
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 11:00:59 PM »
They say naw!
And the Union Will continue to live :) God Save The Queen!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 11:06:31 PM by SpyCreepers »

Naru523

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • let's walk the true path of life
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 01:29:50 AM »
1,617,989 vs 2,001,926. Closer than I expected, honest.

Ravenshaw

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 01:53:43 AM »

We are so disjointed as a world and while I don't think that the american dollar or even english as the universal language...

Because of human nature, there would have to be a unifying event. Some severe change in social norms or a single event that unified the world, such as a plague or war with a non-terrestrial race. Humans have an innate need for conflict, it's why so many people want "freedom." They don't actually want freedom, they simply subconsciously desire the conflict that comes with being able to make their own decisions. Unless humanity has an outside threat, a non-human entity they can continue to have conflict with, whatever that may be, humanity will continue to have wars and division. It's like a broken plate. Nothing on the inside will ever be able to fix that plate. But if you apply glue from the outside and push the pieces together, it will become one. It won't look pretty, but it will be unified.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 02:08:20 AM »
"Humans have an innate need for conflict,"

pls inform

Ravenshaw

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 06:20:44 AM »
"Humans have an innate need for conflict,"

pls inform

Wat?