Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Numerical integration in Universe Sandbox ²  (Read 3402 times)

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
Numerical integration in Universe Sandbox ²
« on: September 10, 2014, 10:26:08 AM »
This is a short demo of the integrators supported, and again available in 10.2
It is not an explanation about what numerical integration is or how it is done, though I have considered making a video about that as well, if people are interested.

http://youtu.be/IJ2MhXUDZ6o
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 09:50:04 PM by Dan Dixon »

jbrown11

• UK alpha tester. (i bought it)
Re: Numerical integration in UniverseSandbox²
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 11:19:45 AM »
This is a short demo of the integrators supported, and again available in 10.2
It is not an explanation about what numerical integration is or how it is done, though I have considered making a video about that as well, if people are interested.

Yeah i am interested.Not only will i be watching something cool i would be learning as well  ;)
You guys must know alot of maths :3

WitheHole18

• Nothing is created, nothing is destroyed.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 11:44:23 AM »
cool, good job developers;)

Plutonium

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 12:31:52 AM »
So the Accuracy slider is making the step smaller or changes the calculation model or both??

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 02:43:45 AM »
So the Accuracy slider is making the step smaller or changes the calculation model or both??

I didn't touch on the subject of adaptive integration, but yes, it makes the steps smaller.
As it is right now, the step size is based on the current acceleration, so with strong acceleration, you generally get strong curvature and that requires smaller steps.

This often works well and is fast, but in certain cases, the acceleration also changes quickly (change of acceleration over time is commonly called Jerk btw  ::)  ) and calculating the jerk was skipped for performance reasons, so those cases can become unstable.

As we speak, I am changing the current accuracy measurement to use the slightly more costly, but also more stable method of taking two small steps and one long step (for the same interval) and estimate truncation error based on the difference between those two results.

A reasonably basic, or at least very concrete, introduction can be found in http://mullinslab.ucsf.edu/Bethany/PHYS%20301/adaptive%20runge%20kutta.pdf

This method also has the benefit that you can more intuitively specify a required accuracy