Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Why am I who I am?  (Read 4480 times)

tuto99

• Baba Booey
Why am I who I am?
« on: September 05, 2014, 06:07:05 PM »
Lately I have been thinking about all the people who live on the Earth. Every one living a different life, whether it be the life of an adult living in solitude, or the life of a baby who was recently brought into a big family. But, I  always wondered, why were they born as them? Or to be more clear, why was I born as an Ortiz, but not an Ortega? Or a Wilkinson?

Why was I born in 1999, and not 1899? Why was I born in the United States, and not Spain, or India? Don't get me wrong I wouldn't trade my life for anything, but, I'm really curious as to how we came to be. Are our lives given to us at random, or is it controlled by something we can't see or know?

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
Re: Why am I who I am?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 06:10:52 PM »
The question for me becomes why am i experiencing this life and not the life of some dolphin in the pacific or something like why am i concious here and now?
Why is my conciousness seperate from everyone and everything else?

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 06:31:16 PM »
yeah a few years ago i imagined theorized that there was a line of consciousness and each time a baby was born a consciousness would go into that baby and there would be another one in line
DONT ASK

matty406

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 06:44:43 PM »
I really don't know how to put this into words but you are what you are. It only feels significant because you also happen to have higher thought than most other creatures on earth.
Since you've never experienced a full life before, this also adds to the unique experience of happening to be a human.
It's all just a roulette and you landed human.

To brainfuck you even more think about why you're not some unfathomable creature somewhere else in the universe some unimaginable distance from earth.

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 07:33:13 PM »
I think specific DNA from one male and one female created a brain that grew in such a way to become you, a consciousness. Had society or your dna been different then you as Tuto99 would never have existed. And you'd just be Tuto98 asking the same question, oblivious to the fact that he could be a very different person as Tuto99.

Xriqxa

• 01000011 01101111 01101101 01101101 01110101 01101
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 12:13:07 AM »
Lately I have been thinking about all the people who live on the Earth. Every one living a different life, whether it be the life of an adult living in solitude, or the life of a baby who was recently brought into a big family. But, I  always wondered, why were they born as them? Or to be more clear, why was I born as an Ortiz, but not an Ortega? Or a Wilkinson?

Why was I born in 1999, and not 1899? Why was I born in the United States, and not Spain, or India? Don't get me wrong I wouldn't trade my life for anything, but, I'm really curious as to how we came to be. Are our lives given to us at random, or is it controlled by something we can't see or know?

You're in your existential crisis. It'll pass.

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 11:27:30 PM »
What...?
No, I am not freaking out or anything. It's a legitimate question.

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 03:03:15 AM »
If you weren't who you are, and you were something else, like some other person, you'd just be the other person asking the same question.
If you didn't exist, you wouldn't be there to ask the question.
So there's no way you cannot be yourself - you can't be another person and at the same time yourself. Being who you are is simply the only option that makes any sense logically, you'd always still see it from the exact same perspective. There's a 100% probability that those who end up being, end up being themselves. :P

As for why people exactly didn't end up as some random other person, that's because the history of Earth/the universe had some conditions that led to them being who they are. Ask your parents :P
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 01:25:07 PM by Bla »

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 11:06:32 AM »
I thought it was a legit question but okay, never mind. This would've been an interesting discussion but I guess I'll just move on.