Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I won't be an Alpha tester anymore  (Read 6105 times)

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
I won't be an Alpha tester anymore
« on: September 03, 2014, 07:28:04 PM »
I just wanted to let you guys know this before I delete my account.  I have mild autism. I have to focus better in college and irl stuff. I'm a 19 year old dude from Brazil. I can't have distractions like reddit or I won't be able to do things I have to do. Goodbye. I don't want to be disappointment to my parents. I have failed a whole semester in college and I can't let that happen again. I can't focus on several things at the same time. I'm tired of wasting my life on the internet.

You can get my steam key or whatever, but after this post, I'll be deleting my account.

Also, I have always been angry that so far none, NONE of my bug reports have been fixed.Not even one. Also, all of my suggestions were in vain. Enough. Thanks to everyone. Bye Dan, keep doing a nice work. gabriel.dac (yellowkazooie) signing out.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 07:47:03 PM by gabriel.dac »

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
Re: I won't be an Alpha tester anymore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 07:48:03 PM »
Are you sure that autism isn't just procrastination? I wish I could kick my procrastination. I'd rather do fun stuff first before work. lol.

I am 22 years old, procrastinate, and still manage B's in my classes. Time management... it's all about the time management. I manage my time (even though I tend to put things off), and I can still enjoy my hobbies. Of course, pressure from your parents doesn't help (that logic probably doesn't really make sense). Well, maybe I don't put things off as much as I think I do. :/

Just think, a semester is only 3-4 months. After you're done, you are free for break (unless you have a job).

Good luck though.

Xriqxa

• 01000011 01101111 01101101 01101101 01110101 01101
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 09:26:37 PM »

WitheHole18

• Nothing is created, nothing is destroyed.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 01:05:09 AM »
good bye gabriel  :'(
I'll miss you :(

SpyCreepers

• Confederation Helvetia
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 02:20:13 AM »
  I have mild autism.
i have ADHD. also goodbye :'( you'll be missed

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 04:01:18 AM »
so far none, NONE of my bug reports have been fixed.Not even one. Also, all of my suggestions were in vain.

If you, after all, sign in to read this response, then let me clear up a few things.
As far as I can see, you have been a very active tester, and that is greatly appreciated, though you unfortunately have not felt it that way. You also reported a number of bugs, as have others, and as far as I can tell, they have been recorded and some have been fixed.

The problem, however, is that we could probably have been a little more systematic when it comes to how we have handled bug reports, and we could also have been more systematic when it comes to reporting the state of the bugs. If we could reproduce it, if we have fixed it or if it is delayed in favor or other more game breaking issues. The forum really is not well suited for this.
Perhaps it is this lack of information which have made you feel that we were ignoring the bugs... which we aren't. If only we could ;-)

As to suggestions, you have posted a great many suggestions, and as I recall, most were perfectly good suggestions, and perhaps they deserved a little more response from our side. The thing is that it often boils down to whether we should spend time responding to the many suggestions, as opposed to simply reading them, or if we should spend time fixing bugs and adding planned features.

Right now I spent time reading your post, feeling a bit sad and then reading through some of your previous posts to see how much truth there was to your claim.. then thinking about a response and putting it in writing before also posting a "memo" for the rest of the team about putting more energy into handling bugs and suggestions in a more structured way.
Time I could have spent adding in the many different numerical integrators which were lost in a previous refactoring (which I will return to in two minutes now).

Point being... we simply cannot be quite as omnipresent in the various forum threads, as everyone would like, but that does not mean that we do not care.

Pinkythefoxxywasp

• Snoop is my idol
    • Steam Account
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 07:07:31 AM »
Goodbye Gabriel, i'll miss you on the forums   :-\
You were an active user, i liked that about you.

I also have mild autism, it makes everyday life harder than it has to be, i can understand why you're leaving, doing this and College must be hard on you, its hard to multitask and you'd get distracted too much from doing  important stuff.

smjjames

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 07:42:16 AM »
I have aspergers, which is a mild form of autism, and ADHD, so, yeah I understand where you're coming from there. It can be easy to get distracted/procrastinate and taking multiple classes from the start is really overwhelming.

That said, you could still do alpha testing during your free time.

Cryo

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 08:12:14 AM »
Safe Travel's Friend, maybe on day you will return   8)

Georg

• Development Team
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 09:10:41 AM »
We've all been working long hours to fix bugs for quite some time now. While we are pretty good at finding them ourselves, you alpha testers have been, and continue to be, an invaluable help for us. Sometimes as a developer you are a bit too familiar with everything, so you tend to overlook some things, so the more pairs of eyes you have on the software, the better. Sometimes everything runs just fine on your team's machines, but some hardware out there in the wild just makes it break.

Long story short:

In your case many of the bugs you found initially were related to your hardware, you had a graphics card that was below the minimum spec. After that you found a good mix of improvements, visual and technical issues.

Thank you for that. We've read them. Our priorities are easy to understand:

1. fix breaking bugs (things that stop the application from running at all or make it crash later)
2. fix semantic bugs (where a result isn't logically correct)
3. fix visual bugs (where everything runs correctly, but looks weird)
4. improve performance + handling (make it faster, more easy to use)
5. improve existing features (make what we have more well rounded)
6. add new features (the universe is big... let's simulate the rest of it)

All of this is ongoing, and it might change due to new requirements. There are tasks in all of those areas (and some I might have missed). While we don't always agree with your suggestions (we're not designing by committee), you can be sure that we consider all of them, and we like a whole lot of what we read here... keep it coming!

I personally fixed a few of your bugs (pink screens / planets, supernovae flickering, from the top of my head).

Fixing all of them will take some time. If it feels like it's taking too much of yours and it's draining your patience, I'll suggest you hang back a little and watch us do our job, I'm sure every new release will be more enjoyable than the last!

Keep up the good work,

George

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 02:40:28 PM »
Also, all of my suggestions were in vain.

Absolutely not true... you've made some of the best suggestions so far.

(And what Georg and Thomas said)

SpyCreepers

• Confederation Helvetia
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 11:34:12 PM »
good bye... -SpyCreepers from Germany.

Vince77

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 08:54:33 AM »
Good bye  :(

DaniheltheMage

• Ayy lmao
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 02:23:55 PM »
So sorry to see you go... -Daniel from Florida

Camacha

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 07:17:03 AM »
I think removing distractions and focussing on college/school is a good idea if you have trouble combining them. Even though you were supplying valuable contributions, school is more important.

Farewell and good luck!

spacegenius2000

• u r ded. not big soup rice
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 03:24:46 PM »
Goodnight, sweet prince.  :'( - Pedro Aguero from Florida
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 03:30:04 PM by spacegenius2000 »

valentin123

• Argentinian alpha tester
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 07:44:22 AM »
:c