Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: [BUG] Gravity not working.  (Read 7809 times)

DrSauce

[BUG] Gravity not working.
« on: September 02, 2014, 09:52:16 PM »
Hi there,

I got universe Sandbox2 on PC (windows7) and it seems that gravity is not working at all. Planets keep going straight and when they don't have intial velocity, things stay still.

When I start the saturn ring or any galaxy, everything just flies apart.

So what's the deal?

DrSauce

Re: [BUG] Gravity not working.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 09:19:25 PM »
Ok, kinda update my video card drivers (which include openCL) and nothing has changed.

So what now?

zithedragon

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 04:28:13 PM »
can you post your output log since it might help in figuring out whats wrong for the developers and you should list any changes you have done to the simulation setting pertaining to gravity if any

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 04:23:15 PM »
Hi DrSauce,

In order to get to the bottom of this, I'll need you to post some log files, so I can find out what's failing. You can get information on how to locate the logs in the topic I've linked below.

http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/topic,12458.0.html

Thanks!

DrSauce

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 09:53:09 PM »
Here you go.

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 07:25:49 AM »
I'm not seeing any errors in your logs. Has this ever worked for you in the past?

Could you check your gravity settings and see what they're set to when you load up the default simulation?

You should be able to click "SIM" (the little gear), and under the header "Simulation", you'll see an option called gravity, it should be set to 1.00.

If you click the plus sign next to it, you'll get the full options as well. Can you check what your compute device is listed as?

DrSauce

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 07:50:55 AM »
Ahhh!

I have changed the compute device to regular cpu and it works.

Would the GPU be faster than the CPU? If so how should I make it work?

By the way another bug that I have is that steam doesn't see when the program closes so I need to restart my machine to launch it again.

DrSauce

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 08:00:57 AM »
Alright gravity now works but nothing collides.

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 08:28:09 AM »
The GPU and CPU are both tested for performance. Based on how well each does, we score it and pick the best performing device on your machine. Depending on your hardware, this can be your GPU or CPU.

Can you post updated logs for the new issue you're having?

DrSauce

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 08:32:21 PM »
There you go!

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 10:10:42 AM »
Checking your logs, it seems it's just loaded up the default solar system. Do you mind running some of the collision scenarios first? Try running something like the bombardment of the moon, or the earth vs moon collision preset, then post your logs again after you've run them a little bit.

I need to see what the error log reports when a collisions are occurring, so I can hopefully catch the exception or error.

We've also added a lot of fixes that will come in the next version, so we can retest once that releases. Hopefully your issue is one that we've already resolved here.

DrSauce

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 10:21:13 AM »
Earth VS asteroids log.