Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: [BUG] Unable to change orbital characteristics  (Read 4392 times)

Camacha

[BUG] Unable to change orbital characteristics
« on: August 28, 2014, 03:37:23 PM »
Like the rest of us, I am very happy to finally get my hands on Universe Sandbox2. Of course, it is still an alpha, which means not everything is always like it should. Being a true Terran, the default solar system simulation seems to lack something - the moon specifically. I just all seems a little empty without it. However, adding a moon with realistic characteristics seems hard or impossible.

I click on Earth twice, selecting it and zooming in. Then I add a moon close enough to get an orbit with the Binary Ba.. (I don't know what it says in full), Binary or Orbit option enabled, and I get an Earth with orbiting Moon. So far so good.

However, when I try to edit the characteristics and change anything to a realistic value, like the semi-major axis, eccentricity or inclination, it seems to blip out of existence and out of view. Am I doing something wrong or is this something that requires a little more polishing?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 11:22:50 PM by C7 »

lmgg

• US2 and DK2, the next two most wanted!!!
Re: Changing basic orbital characteristics
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 03:52:09 PM »
Yeah, this is an important issue that need to be fixed in a future release.
Currently, changing orbital parameters by hand would fail most times, and drives the affected body crazy. It seems to work fairly well when the parent body has a low speed relative to universal coordinates though, but having a parent body behaving like this is actually a rare situation :'(.

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 04:33:26 PM »
It is Binary Balanced

By the way, the devs should removed either the "Binary Ba" or "Binary" and put a "Replace" option, so it will remove the selected body and will add the one in your hand in the same conditions of the object that was there. I remember I had to do that manually many many times

Camacha

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 05:23:18 PM »
It is Binary Balanced

By the way, the devs should removed either the "Binary Ba" or "Binary" and put a "Replace" option, so it will remove the selected body and will add the one in your hand in the same conditions of the object that was there. I remember I had to do that manually many many times
I would like that indeed.

By the way, what is the difference between Binary Balanced and Binary? And, kind of related, is there a way of selecting the barycenter directly?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 09:57:39 PM by Camacha »

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 05:43:02 PM »
It is Binary Balanced

I would like that indeed.

By the way, what is the difference between Binary Balanced and Binary? And, kind of related, is there a way of selecting the binary point directly (rather than going through a vague process via Edit)?

As far as I know, binary balanced makes both objects orbit without changing the space in which they orbit, while a in binary system both objects can move together. I don't know the difference of binary to orbit, though.

That's why I say, remove one of them and add a replace button

Camacha

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 10:02:18 PM »
Coming back to this: the help (H button) states that pressing B should add a barycenter, but neither that or the Lagrange points work. Yet, I suppose.

That's why I say, remove one of them and add a replace button
As I do not know what the buttons do I cannot suggest removing them, but adding a replace button would be helpful.