Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Water goes away?  (Read 2822 times)

winter4w

Water goes away?
« on: August 27, 2014, 10:41:10 PM »
I will like to know how can I make it so if a planet is too close to the sun the water will go and leave the planet and go in space. Also how do I change the color of a atmosphere?

C7

• Development Team
Re: Water goes away?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 10:45:07 PM »
That's already happening, all materials can be lost to space. However, it's happening over a very large timescale.  Losing tons of water a day isn't going to noticeably change the water level of Earth for instance.

We're still working on that side of things, and we can maybe expose a multiplier, so you can see the process happening over shorter periods of time.

I'll double check things here as well, just to make sure there's not a bug.

winter4w

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 10:51:17 PM »
That's already happening, all materials can be lost to space. However, it's happening over a very large timescale.  Losing tons of water a day isn't going to noticeably change the water level of Earth for instance.

We're still working on that side of things, and we can maybe expose a multiplier, so you can see the process happening over shorter periods of time.

I'll double check things here as well, just to make sure there's not a bug.

Ok is there a way for me to check to see the water on the planet? I do go into the materials tab but it does not seem to change. Also I will like to know if there might be a way to see how much is leaving the planet. Also 3 more things:

1. When a gas giant is too close to the sun will the gas giant one day just disappear
     2. I will like to know if there will also be a magnetic field on  the planets to help protect them from the solar wind and if a big asteroid impacts and freezes the core to a solid it will go away and the atmosphere will die out.
     3. Does the atmosphere also get blown away if too close to the sun?

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 02:35:59 AM »
1. The gas giant will lose mass, and eventually be destroyed. But it might take a really, really, long time. So long, it's unlikely that you'll see anything happening. We're still working on tweaking that portion of the code.

2. We've talked about simulating magnetic fields, and Dan seems keen on the idea. Other then that, we don't have anything specific planned yet.

3. The gasses will be stripped, but right now they're not directly linked with the atmosphere. We are working towards having this work a lot better.