Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: [BUG] Several performance issues on Linux  (Read 3855 times)

Nell

[BUG] Several performance issues on Linux
« on: August 26, 2014, 10:57:48 PM »
I have a few probably related performance issues. I'm testing on Ubuntu 14.04 + Nvidia 331.38 (GTX 770).

The tutorial asked me to run the performance test and after two scenes it hung the game on a black screen for several minutes and I had to restart it.

Performance is pretty bad on the larger simulations, the default simulation is running at 11 FPS. "Jupiters Fly Around the Sun" is 4-5 FPS. Physics Advance is most of the time in the profiler. Pausing the simulation, it does run at 60 FPS and everything looks visually correct.

Opening the galaxy collision simulation always hangs the game.

What's the Linux version doing as far as OpenCL support? I know OpenCL support is not very good on Linux, but it is available in some for or another for the proprietary drivers and Intel's driver. Are there additional steps needed to enable it in Universe Sandbox?

Edit: I left it running longer and eventually the galaxy collision simulation does load, but it's at least 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 11:39:30 PM by C7 »

C7

• Development Team
Re: Several performance issues on Linux
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 11:23:25 PM »
Do you mind attaching your logs? I'm curious if you're getting errors or something is causing a slowdown because of it. The game really runs best with OpenCL though.

I'd like to find out what CL build works best for users, and what is the best installation process, so we can make this easier for Linux users going forwards.

Nell

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 12:23:27 AM »
Here's the log after I ran the game and started the performance test. I let it sit for quite a while but it never finished.

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 12:33:14 AM »
Seems it's having trouble loading the .so files, and getting the dependencies sorted out.