Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: [RETEST] Broken Saturn scenario  (Read 4597 times)

Hyperion

• Oh my god, it's full of star stuff!
[RETEST] Broken Saturn scenario
« on: August 26, 2014, 03:52:16 AM »
Whenever I open the "Saturn with rings" simulation, I can see only a ring composed of several quite huge rocks, without any planet, although I see a Saturn label in the middle. After adding Saturn manually, it won't help the rings to stay at place because I can't fit it exactly into the center. And the planet disappears after a while, although it acts as if it still was there and I can normally select it (second screenshot)

I also get a framerate of 1fps during this simulation, while solar system simulation gets me 12fps. It seems to not change at all even by turning off / on anti aliasing, effects or texture quality.

Intel i5 4670K @ 4.0GHz
GTX760 2gb VRAM
8GB RAM
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 11:26:10 PM by C7 »

C7

• Development Team
Re: Broken Saturn scenario
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 02:34:54 PM »
Thank you, I'll look into it.

This should be fixed in Alpha 10.1. Please post again with new logs if you encounter this after we release the update.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:21:51 PM by C7 »

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 03:21:19 PM »
I'm having other issues with rings.

When I add rings around Saturn, the sim not only gets extremely laggy, but the rings fly off into space. I wish I could get the log now but I'm on my phone. Later I'll pm a log to you C7. Not sure if this is a local problem or not

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 03:23:58 PM »
The rings simulation is pretty intensive from a performance standpoint. That could be the problem, but if the logs show the same errors Hyperion is having, the error logging itself is very slow. (Since it needs to write trace info each time).

Try again in 10.1 when it comes out, and send me your log if it doesn't improve.

Camacha

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 05:33:39 PM »
Are we talking about the regular scenarios under the Core header? Those numbers do not seem right at all, on a 2500K @ 3,3 GHz and a modest GPU the Solar System does 55 fps and the Saturn scenario does 29 fps. Your hardware is a little quicker, but performance is nowhere near those numbers.

Hyperion

Re: [RETEST] Broken Saturn scenario
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 02:54:04 AM »
Maybe it's because of older Nvidia drivers, but I doubt that.

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 09:25:28 AM »
Try again in 10.1 when it comes out, and send me your log if it doesn't improve.

Same thing. I added rings to Saturn and it caused an über lag that killed my soul a little. The rings still flew away. Here is the log

Hyperion

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 02:43:28 AM »
The Saturn scenario now doesn't work at all for me, it lags so much that it changes one frame each 4 seconds and nothing happens. No Saturn, no rings, just nothing. I mean I gave up after waiting for a minute

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 04:01:01 PM »
You're both having different issues entirely. Gabriel's logs are issues with the CPU solver. (This should be updated and working a lot better in the next build, which should hopefully be soon)

As for Hyperion... you're somehow triggering a failsafe catch. Which is really odd to say the least. I'll do some testing here tomorrow and see if I can reproduce that error.