Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: [FEEDBACK] Are "grazing impacts" supposed to make tons of fragments?  (Read 4497 times)

Unnamed25

• o hai
I added a bunch of random planets, with lots of collisions, but then a gas giant collided into another gas giant on the way that both "survive" but in the process it made TONS of fragments(100+)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 11:59:03 PM by C7 »

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
Re: Are "grazing impacts" supposed to make tons of fragments?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 07:52:32 AM »
And the issues with collisions continue...

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 08:26:19 AM »
hey i don't see the problem with fragments maybe that is what happens when you collide planets

smjjames

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 09:57:04 AM »
Well, grazing impacts should deform the two bodies (not sure if the Earth-Theia impact theory is a grazing impact), but that deformation stuff isn't really in yet, I don't think

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 11:07:09 AM »
Pretty much, a shorter or direct impact will have most fragments falling back to the planet. In the case of a grazing impact, the collision happens over a much longer duration, with fragments being throw off in each step.

Additionally fragment count is a level of detail controlled effect, if your computer is more powerful, more fragments will be created, until you hit your "cap".

I'm not really clear on what the issue is? I suppose the short answer is, yes, they are supposed to make as many fragments as they can.