Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: List of bugs I found in the first 5 minutes playing Alpha 9  (Read 12245 times)

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
List of bugs I found in the first 5 minutes playing Alpha 9
« on: August 22, 2014, 10:53:28 PM »
I'm disappointed that this version has way too many bugs. Even worse - it has bugs that simply didn't exist in previous versions. I am going to list the ones I've found so far. I'll edit this post with more informations in the future

---Nº1 - Star color change: When there is a star in the simulation, and I add any blue (hot) star in orbit, this second star becomes red. Check out the video:

http://youtu.be/W3I2pAcaN7A

---Nº2 - Collision with an unexisting object: I still had the star "in my hand" and it actually collided with a star in the simulation. I've got no idea how I made this happen, but I've sent the log file in the feedback. Sorry for the low framerate of this video

http://youtu.be/YBACxh1k7tg

---Nº3 - When I add two objects in the same place they fly away: I am still testing this one. I'll edit this post later with more details

---Nº4 - Supernovas are a solid pink screen: I'm pretty sure this one is due to my awful graphic card, but still, worth mentioning. I'll test this one later using my dad's notebook that does not have problems with the graphic card (or whatever the problem is that makes stars black etc). Check out the screenshot in the bottom. Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/8jMElex.png

edit: I'll be adding more items in the replies to this thread
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 02:34:50 PM by gabriel.dac »

Geers

• If you try hard you crash hard
Re: List of bugs I found in the first 5 minutes playing Alpha 9
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 06:30:47 AM »
The pink supernova is almost certainly an issue with your graphics hardware. Make sure all your drivers are updated.

shadow6061be

• Belgian alpha tester
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 06:43:59 AM »
Although the supernova isn't pink to me, it is in fact "blinking".

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 07:34:56 AM »
Strangely, none of those bugs you are experiencing are happening to me except one, the two objects placed within one another. It does appear random, sometimes they go supernova, but I am able to get stars to fly apart in opposite directions. Instead of combining, they shoot out into space. 

This is what's hard about fixing bugs. One person could have 5 problems, another could have 10. It's like, what do you do? After they "fix" them, the person that had 5 could now have 10. And the guy who had 10 could now have 5.

Like the glitches that you're seeing,  gabriel.dac. None of those things are happening to me except the objects flying away from each other (like mentioned above).

EDIT: Mine may not be pink, but it is flickering/blinking, like what shadow6061be mentions.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 07:41:27 AM by The Ventifact »

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 10:07:44 AM »
The pink supernova is almost certainly an issue with your graphics hardware. Make sure all your drivers are updated.

Yes. I said that in my first post.

I downloaded US in my dad's laptop (better graphics) and yes, the supernova really is blinking.

Strangely, none of those bugs you are experiencing are happening to me except one, the two objects placed within one another. It does appear random, sometimes they go supernova, but I am able to get stars to fly apart in opposite directions. Instead of combining, they shoot out into space. 

This is what's hard about fixing bugs. One person could have 5 problems, another could have 10. It's like, what do you do? After they "fix" them, the person that had 5 could now have 10. And the guy who had 10 could now have 5.

Like the glitches that you're seeing,  gabriel.dac. None of those things are happening to me except the objects flying away from each other (like mentioned above).

EDIT: Mine may not be pink, but it is flickering/blinking, like what shadow6061be mentions.

Really? You can't do the Nº1 (Star Sirius changing colors)? It has happened in both computers I have used. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my original post on explaining how to make it happen
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:14:18 AM by gabriel.dac »

shadow6061be

• Belgian alpha tester
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 11:29:17 AM »
I can also confirm N°1 on my computer

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 12:05:33 PM »
The pink you're seeing on the supernova is due to a shader error. It will appear that color if the shader could not execute on your graphics card, and it does not have a fallback shader specified, or was unable to load that as well.

You mentioned a log file, but I don't see it here. I'll check the reports to see if you submitted it that way. If not, please post it to this topic, so I can figure out why it's failing, and we can note which graphics hardware has this problem.

It would appear you're also having black stars and other problems as well, so there's definitely something up there.

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 12:18:53 PM »
C7, actually I haven't reported that pink screen error because I didn't think it was necessary. I knew it was a local problem with my awful graphic cards (it is not a problem in the game) and also because that happens every time a supernova happens, so if you make a supernova happen, the screen would be pink if you were using my computer.

PS: Now that I'm using my dad's notebook, the pink screen doesn't happen anymore. However, the supernova dust keeps blinking (this happens to everyone, apparently).

---------

---Nº5 - planetary systems: This one is also a bug that didn't exist in the previous version.  When I add an entire planetary system (a planet and all of its moons, using the + button next to the planet in the Ass list) there is always a collision. There is no object that caused the collision, but you can see it happening. I believe it has something to do with the bug Nº2. The planet in my hand collides with the one I've just added, but I'm not sure.

In this screenshot I added the Earth and Moon as an example. Keep in mind that I added both at the same time using that +
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 02:35:20 PM by gabriel.dac »

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 12:26:17 PM »
Well, it may be due to older graphics hardware, but we still want to know and identify the cause, so we can have it fail in a better way then having things appear shocking pink.

If we know the model of card you have, we can identify which feature set the shader uses that is failing, and create a version that doesn't use it as a fallback for that gpu series.

Again, I really need logs for these to be of any help at all. I need to find what is colliding with what, and how that is happening when the bodies should otherwise be suspended.

RS Productions

• E=mc🌟
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 12:49:24 PM »
Non of the bugs you are reporting are happening to me. The only one I have found was some parts of Venus covered in water in the Solar System Simulation.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 03:01:14 PM by Dan Dixon »

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 12:55:05 PM »
Well, it may be due to older graphics hardware, but we still want to know and identify the cause, so we can have it fail in a better way then having things appear shocking pink.

If we know the model of card you have, we can identify which feature set the shader uses that is failing, and create a version that doesn't use it as a fallback for that gpu series.

Again, I really need logs for these to be of any help at all. I need to find what is colliding with what, and how that is happening when the bodies should otherwise be suspended.

Ok. Here are the logs of the pink screen and the one of the Nº5. I usually send the log files via the feedback button (except the pink screen one), but here it is again. I hope that helps.

@RS Productions, you didn't have to quote all of that, did you? It is too long and annoying

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 02:47:43 PM »
Thank you for the logs, these are the physics engine logs, I need the main logs.

Log Files - Whenever the game is started, it creates a log file of your play session called output_log.txt. You can find the file in your installation directory for the game under the folder "Universe Sandbox_Data"

-Steam : You can right click on the game in steam, go to properties, select "local files", and then "browse local files" this will take you directly to your installation folder. Click on the folder "Universe Sandbox_Data".
-Mac OS X : Typically located here ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log
-Linux :  ~/.config/unity3d/GiantArmy/UniverseSandbox/Player.log

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 03:20:41 PM »
Woops. My bad. Sorry for all this confusion. I knew I was doing something wrong.

Here are the logs. The one of the pink screen thing and the one about the mysterious collision, respectively.

By the way, I've managed to make the added planet collide with the one in my hand more than once.

Perhaps I'm posting more logs later, or I'll PM them to you

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 03:31:34 PM »
Well, it seems that you're having issues loading the openCL libraries for one. Along with a rather in depth list of shader issues.

I'll look over these and forward the bugs to the right places.

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 05:54:21 PM »

Yes. I said that in my first post.

I downloaded US in my dad's laptop (better graphics) and yes, the supernova really is blinking.

Really? You can't do the Nº1 (Star Sirius changing colors)? It has happened in both computers I have used. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my original post on explaining how to make it happen

I tried Sirius in an empty simulation, it doesn't change colors on me. I placed the Sun, then Sirius. Sirius stayed the same hot blue color it's supposed to be. Hmmm...

I do have a rather high-end gaming PC, though. It doesn't flinch at all. Maybe on account of it being a GTX 770 in my rig. So I don't experience the same exact set of problems that other people may be getting (I sometimes do though). For all I know, maybe I have to do it a different way to get the same result.

*goes to test*