Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Results of One Hour of Bug Hunting  (Read 7311 times)

Geers

• If you try hard you crash hard
The Results of One Hour of Bug Hunting
« on: August 20, 2014, 01:04:16 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBwigOOeOwg

BUGS:

0:10 Orbit line is jagged and rough.

1:00 Temperature + button not working.

2:33 Collision doesn't destroy ice cap.

7:48 Changing sun to 100% silicate does nothing.

8:25 Changing luminosty manually does nothing but + button works.

9:54 Can see surface features under lava(?).

10:53 Mirror Tetrahadron black (maybe due to no star in system).

17:19 Planet teleports when adjusting eccentricity.

21:28 Temperature reads -17.7 when water is boiled off.

22:00 No fireworks launch.

24:33 Massive frame rate drop as time step is increased.

29:34 Orbit lines go nuts.

38:16 All values become Not a Number.

42:43 Small land mass refuses to melt on planet with molten surface.

43:17 Vapour trail oriented toward sun.

44:10 Same continents form when molten surface cools. Probably more of a missing feature than a bug.

52:17 NaN error again.

55:25 Massive frame rate drop.

57:41 Weird visual effect when adding large amount of CO2 to atmosphere, including a straight line.

59:32 Using + button to increase surface temperature of planet doesn't work.

1:03:32 Unusual straight lines on topography of planet.

1:05:20 Spawned Moon clips through another Moon. Vanishes moments later.

1:08:30 Game freeze/crash when loading Earth & Ceres Collision.

The list is also in the video description so you can just click the timestamp to get to that bug.

Somewhere around the middle the video suddenly jumps to a different part of my test, this is because I'm lazy and just told Movie Maker to stick everything together. I did check for things like that, but I guess I missed it. This also happens again a little later but apart from being a slight oddity, it has no real impact.

PS: Australia doesn't have a hole in it. Also I'm not entirely sure if this works or not but after a certain point, atmospheres should freeze and fall to the planet surface. So no pretty atmospheric hue at 2°K.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 01:18:32 AM by Geers »

Xriqxa

• 01000011 01101111 01101101 01101101 01110101 01101
Re: The Results of One Hour of Bug Hunting
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 08:53:16 AM »

BUGS:

0:10 Orbit line is jagged and rough.=High Timestep; Not a bug

1:00 Temperature + button not working.=Manual Temperature changing does nothing at the moment

2:33 Collision doesn't destroy ice cap.=Normal, should be fixed when Ice is associated with temperature in a future Alpha

7:48 Changing sun to 100% silicate does nothing.=Stellar Components are incomplete and need tweaking

8:25 Changing luminosity manually does nothing but + button works.= Yeah, currently typing in boxes is broken

9:54 Can see surface features under lava(?).=Normal. Put planet closer to star or add more atmosphere mass.

10:53 Mirror Tetrahedron black (maybe due to no star in system).=Nope, unfortunately this awesome little fella is broken as well

17:19 Planet teleports when adjusting eccentricity.=Normal; Not a bug.

21:28 Temperature reads -17.7 when water is boiled off.=Temperature is broken

22:00 No fireworks launch.=Not implemented yet, I think. I'm very curious to see what this feature does.

24:33 Massive frame rate drop as time step is increased.=Not a bug. Decrease accuracy via the slider.

29:34 Orbit lines go nuts.=Another timestep and accuracy problem

38:16 All values become Not a Number.=Changing particular values does this. Adding a few thousand Milky Way masses of atmosphere mass also does this, but almost every characteristic of the body is NaN, including temperature, which is odd because the planet is displayed as being frozen.

42:43 Small land mass refuses to melt on planet with molten surface.=Those are the Himalaya Mountains and Antarctica. For some reason, Antarctica is really high on the heightmap, so the lava isn't high enough to submerge, or "melt" them. Try adding more atmosphere.

43:17 Vapour trail oriented toward sun.=It's a small error with comet eccentry

44:10 Same continents form when molten surface cools. Probably more of a missing feature than a bug.=Yep, missing feature.

52:17 NaN error again.=Like I said before, changing some certain stuff messes with the physics.

55:25 Massive frame rate drop.=More Accuracy+Timestep issues

57:41 Weird visual effect when adding large amount of CO2 to atmosphere, including a straight line.=Venus is transitioning into a Gas Giant, this the current effect given to such changes. The line is a texture wrapping glitch that shouldn't happen again, at least not for a long time.

59:32 Using + button to increase surface temperature of planet doesn't work.=Yeah, temperature is currently reliant on stars for the moment, I hope for manual temperature editing soon.

1:03:32 Unusual straight lines on topography of planet.=This is the Venus texture in US2. I doubt that it actually looks like that IRL, not sure why GA made it this way.

1:05:20 Spawned Moon clips through another Moon. Vanishes moments later.=The first one was a small burst of lag, the second one is a bug with placing objects inside one another.

1:08:30 Game freeze/crash when loading Earth & Ceres Collision.=Yeah, some sims don't want to open and just crash the game, them little buggers. I also noticed that before you loaded that sim there was a shadow being cast on Earth by the Camera. When you landed on Earth, the whole planet darkened (This is all in the preview window).

PS: Australia doesn't have a hole in it.=Yes, there is a lake inside a crater in Australia, but I'm not entirely sure it should be that big.

Also I'm not entirely sure if this works or not but after a certain point, atmospheres should freeze and fall to the planet surface. So no pretty atmospheric hue at 2°K.

IRL=True
US2=Forget it about it, bucko. Yeah, US2 has lots of issues and missing features for temperature physics.

Geers

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 03:52:54 PM »
Yes, there is a lake inside a crater in Australia, but I'm not entirely sure it should be that big.

Notice the lack of giant hole. Trust me I live there.

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 05:56:42 PM »
how long did it take to upload that video?

Geers

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 07:25:30 PM »
how long did it take to upload that video?
About 4.5 hours. Yay for 0.8Mbps.

smjjames

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 07:37:07 PM »
38:16 All values become Not a Number.=Changing particular values does this. Adding a few thousand Milky Way masses of atmosphere mass also does this, but almost every characteristic of the body is NaN, including temperature, which is odd because the planet is displayed as being frozen.

Yeah, changing all orbital values does this as well, it goes to NaN too easily and freaks out.

Xriqxa

• 01000011 01101111 01101101 01101101 01110101 01101
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 04:11:58 AM »
Yes, there is a lake inside a crater in Australia, but I'm not entirely sure it should be that big.

Notice the lack of giant hole. Trust me I live there.
Lol yeah Lake Eyre is waaay too big in US2. There are also a couple of faults and lakes in places like Florida and China, and also Japan, but we can ignore those for now since they are almost unnoticeable.

Geers

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 06:27:24 AM »
Is anyone else getting a crash with the Ceres collision sim or is it all of them?