Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: *BUG* Windows7/OpenCL? Can't add planets/Moons on initial solar system sim  (Read 9069 times)

Brentus

On Windows 7, after opening US2 (from Steam). 
  Select + add
  Then try to add any planet or moon (except Deimos) and nothing displays.

However, if you select the Moon Deimos, that will appear.
   Sometimes, if you select any Moon after Deimos, it will be entered as Deimos.  This is not consistent.

This does NOT happen on Window's 8.1 (works fine on 8.1)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 02:58:40 PM by Brentus »

Mrclimix

• The cosmos is nearly in our grasp of manipulating
Try re-installing it i read your output log and it says that it couldn't load the mono files in the universe sandbox data im not a developer but give it a try

Brentus

Tried re-installing.  The same inability to add planets/moons (except Deimos) still happens. 
The logfile still has the message: Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Universe Sandbox 2/Universe Sandbox_Data/Mono/libOpenCL.dll

However, it should be noted, that I am able to add planets/moons successfully in
Home->New->Simulation and other solar system sim's like "Random Solar System"

This bug seems to be limited to our Solar System Sims (like the initial one and "Solar System|all planets all moons"  In the latter, I can't even add Deimos).  Though I haven't tested exhaustively yet.

It still might be an  installation issue, but not something that can be corrected by reinstallation.
Though, thanks for suggesting the reinstallation, it's always worth a try.

Mrclimix

• The cosmos is nearly in our grasp of manipulating
Tried re-installing.  The same inability to add planets/moons (except Deimos) still happens. 
The logfile still has the message: Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Universe Sandbox 2/Universe Sandbox_Data/Mono/libOpenCL.dll

However, it should be noted, that I am able to add planets/moons successfully in
Home->New->Simulation and other solar system sim's like "Random Solar System"

This bug seems to be limited to our Solar System Sims (like the initial one and "Solar System|all planets all moons"  In the latter, I can't even add Deimos).  Though I haven't tested exhaustively yet.

It still might be an  installation issue, but not something that can be corrected by reinstallation.
Though, thanks for suggesting the reinstallation, it's always worth a try.

I think the only solution for this problem is to wait for the next update like 8.4 maybe it would be fixed

C7

• Development Team
Really does appear to be an installation or permissions issue when attempting to load the files.

Try running the game as an administrator. You can do this by right clicking the executable and selecting "run as administrator"

Alternatively, try to verify the game cache, and see if that helps at all.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

Brentus

Help!!!!

I am running Steam as administrator.  I have successfully (in Steam) verified game cache.
For whatever reason OpenCL was on the machine, but not installed.  I installed in using AMD App SDK.   
So now all error messages regarding the loading of OpenCL no longer appear. 

BUT THE PROBLEM STILL EXISTS!!!  The only slight difference is that when you try to add just the planet Jupiter, all of Jupiter's moons get added but not Jupiter.  Adding OpenCL doesn't make much of a difference, except slightly changing the incorrect behavior. 

Another Observation: I have an old Dell Vista laptap that doesn't have OpenCL.  I get the similar behavior as the Windows 7 version (before I installed OpenCL).

I suspect this problem has to do with OpenCL on non-Windows 8 OS.  I am running Windows 7 on a 64 bit machine.  I noticed some other forum posts about OpenCL issues.  Maybe these are related? Is anyone successfully running US2 on a Windows 7 OS?  Is it a 32 or 64 bit machine?

I've attached two log files. 
The first is when I try to add the planet Venus.  The log file seems uneventful, even though Venus wasn't added.

The second is when I add just the planet Jupiter and instead all the moons appear.   You will now see NullReferenceException for each moon that was added. (I think this is similar to some of the other OpenCL issue post logs)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Body.FindOrbitVelocity () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AddBody.FindSimpleOrbit (.Body parent) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AddBody.FindSimpleOrbit (.Body parent) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AddBody.LateUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Sandbox.LateUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
(Filename:  Line: -1)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS/SUGGESTIONS:
  • I know this is alpha testing, but when you go into public production and an error is detected that something is missing like OpenCL, it would be nice to alert the users that they are missing component(s) and the app may be unstable. Have pity on the parents who have to figure out why the app isn't working.
  • Having a trouble shooting guide easily accessible from the app, that includes all the little tricks (running Steam as admin, verify game cache, etc. and where to determine if you have or where to get OpenCL (or other missing components), how to install it, and how to figure out what your processor is so you know where to download the correct one would be helpful.  I suspect there are many non-Windows8 OS that don't have them at all or in my case not installed. 

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
you know, you can just use the feedback feature in-game to send log files.

But anyway, that bug does seem odd. I can add planets normally here. well, not exactly normally. There are a few bugs here but I've reported them. One of them is, when there is a planet (like Mars) already added in the simulation, sometimes when I click another object in the "Add" list, it will just add its mass to Mars. Say, I click Mercury and I see Mars getting bigger, as if I added Mercury onto Mars
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:16:25 AM by gabriel.dac »

Brentus

Thanks for your response.  :) 

The reason I am posting the log files is because the Development Team asked for logs to be posted with the Forum Bug posts.  http://universesandbox.com/forum/index.php/topic,12458.0.html

What operating system are you using?  Also, are you using a 32 or 64 computer?