Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Suggestion: Stellar bodies overhaul  (Read 1976 times)

lmgg

• US2 and DK2, the next two most wanted!!!
Suggestion: Stellar bodies overhaul
« on: August 11, 2014, 08:42:28 AM »
1. Stellar evolution:
I've noticed that the sun does not turn into a red giant when aged enough, and also it doesn't leave a white dwarf after its nova. No star actually leaves anything but gas and particle effects.
Also, it seems the hydrogen contents of main sequence stars remains constant over the entire lifetime, it's not gradually used up.

2. Degenerate matter bodies:
I think that when using the material system (or by adding matter by collisions), white dwarfs should turn slowly into neutron stars, and then, neutron stars turn slowly into black holes. Some exotic kind of deg. matter body could be added too (like quark stars between neutron stars and black holes)
And also, I've noticed that black holes do not grow when fed with the material system.

3. Black hole evolution:
Black holes could also have Hawking radiation modeled, so if one of them is light enough (so the background radiation does not actually make it grow), it evaporates over time.

Xriqxa

• 01000011 01101111 01101101 01101101 01110101 01101
Re: Suggestion: Stellar bodies overhaul
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 09:13:47 AM »
2. White dwarfs do not decay into neutron stars and black holes. Large blue-ish white stars go supernova and leave behind a neutron star. The really really blue stars go supernova and leave behind a black hole. White dwarfs slowly decay into black dwarfs, and then just kinda "go out."

1. and 3. are interesting points and ideas, though.

Unnamed25

• o hai
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 09:32:19 AM »
Yeah it's weird the sun doesn't turn into a red giant yet.
Wanted to see it eat the earth :(
Lol

lmgg

• US2 and DK2, the next two most wanted!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 09:33:47 AM »
White dwarfs do not decay into neutron stars and black holes
No, that's not what I meant. The point is that white dwarfs should turn into neutron stars and into black holes, but only when more matter falls into them, such and when using the material dispenser.

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 02:40:47 PM »
Still working on this part. Eric's been doing a lot of work on classification and handling of stars. We're just not done with all the possible outcomes yet.

We're also looking into the compositions of stars, which is something that we have just started to work on. Things like the metallicity of a star and conversion of matter over time. There's still a lot of work to be done.