Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mafia Interest Gauge  (Read 3872 times)

Jorster

• karma chameleon
Mafia Interest Gauge
« on: August 07, 2014, 10:11:39 PM »
On Interguild a while back we used to play a forum game called Mafia. I thought it'd be kind of cool to see if anyone was interested here.

What is Mafia?
The Game of Mafia is one in which the players are divided into teams (or factions) and must decide as a group who to exile (or lynch) from the group until only one team remains. Typically, the two teams are a relatively small Mafia group, and the much larger Town group. Given that the Town starts as the vast majority of the players, this would be a one-sided game were it not for how the Town players are not aware of who the other Townies are. As a result, the Mafia can try to blend in with the Town and sway the majority vote onto Townies, hoping to turn the Town against itself until the Mafia controls the majority vote and therefore the game.

At its heart, Mafia is a game pitting an uninformed majority against an informed minority. It (as well as variations on it) has been commercially rebranded numerous times, often with werewolf flavor, but the central idea of the game is the same.

How does Mafia work?
Most games of Mafia require an outside moderator who knows (among other things) who is on which team. This moderator begins the game by secretly assigning roles to players. The moderator then calls upon the Mafia to secretly reveal who they are to each other. This is Pregame.

Then, the Day phase begins. The players as a group vote a player out via a majority vote. Players are not allowed to conclusively prove their role by showing everyone what role the moderator gave them, but beyond that, almost anything goes as players argue, accuse, plead, protest, beg, and flail in hopes of getting the vote to go toward someone they think is scum (or if they ARE scum, not themselves!). A player who is chosen by majority vote to be lynched is ceremoniously removed from the game as the moderator reveals to everyone what their role is. Players who are removed from the game may no longer take part.

At this time, all the players go inactive as the Night phase begins. Most players can do nothing but wait while the Mafia secretly chooses a player they wish to murder during the Night. There may also be Town players who have Night actions as indicated by their role. Separately, they may choose to take action toward someone, with varying results depending on their role.

The next Day begins with the moderator announcing that a player has been murdered by the Mafia, and the game continues anew.

The game is generally over when there is only one faction left in the game - either the Town has voted out all of the scum, or the Mafia has made it so that the Town is helpless but to get voted out of the game.

There are several variations on this process, but this is generally a model for how the game works.

On occasion, you will find other alignments in the game, such as Serial Killer. More commonly, some players will have special roles that they may use to hopefully sway the game in their favor.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask them in the thread. Ideally there should be 7-8 people in to play, other than me, but I can work with more if anyone else wants to join in.

Players:
1. Darvince
2. Fiah
3. Bla
4. Matty
5. Tuto
6. TMC
7. Blotz
8(?).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 08:54:03 PM by Jorster »

Darvince

• 差不多
Re: Mafia Interest Gauge
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 10:33:18 PM »
whores are not allowed

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 10:36:25 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '130587'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:15:45 AM by FiahOwl »

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 02:32:28 AM »
I'll join

matty406

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 05:17:18 AM »
yissssssssssssss

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 03:18:27 PM »
I will of joinings

TheMooCows

• Why should I have to trust humans?
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 05:03:43 PM »
Me in now

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 10:39:02 AM »
Yes

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 10:43:27 AM »
A nd we can have likea doctor or something maybe. Hopefully it will be fast paced or people will lose interest quickly

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 10:53:52 AM »
I don't think we need to worry about fast paced that much. It could probably be paced like FORD. Map War 2 was slow paced and games could take half a year or more I think, but people kept interest in it when it was active.

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 04:00:59 PM »
hmm so the turn is about 10 days which seems ok

FiahOwl

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 04:12:26 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '130959'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:15:01 AM by FiahOwl »

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 06:04:57 PM »
-interguild

Jorster

• karma chameleon
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 08:54:34 PM »
That's 7. I'll leave signups open until Monday, then I'll start the pregame.

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 09:22:22 AM »
circled in black

FiahOwl

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 09:26:48 AM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '131115'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:14:42 AM by FiahOwl »

Jorster

• karma chameleon
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 09:30:54 AM »
Confirmed. Days will last anywhere from 1 week to 10 days.