Welcome, Guest

Poll

Is it same?

Yes
No

Author Topic: 512MB Video Memory another question.  (Read 3497 times)

wubbzy301

• I stole a username idea!!!
512MB Video Memory another question.
« on: August 07, 2014, 08:49:17 AM »
Is 512MB Video Memory same as dedicated video RAM?

Pinkythefoxxywasp

• Snoop is my idol
    • Steam Account
Re: 512MB Video Memory another question.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 08:50:43 AM »
As far as i know, yes.

The Ventifact

• I am the Creator...
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 09:30:23 AM »
Technically, they both behave the same, they just do different jobs. Video RAM (VRAM), helps in processing and rendering graphics in games. RAM takes care of system use (processes), like opening programs and loading documents, among other things.

Does that make sense? I'm trying not to make it sound complicated. They are both the same in terms of how system RAM and VRAM works, they just do specific jobs.

C7

• Development Team
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 09:38:22 AM »
It really depends. Windows will show both the cases below as "video memory"

If you've got a laptop, or an integrated video card in your motherboard or cpu, it's likely sharing RAM with your main system memory. The gpu is reserved a portion of the main system memory, and this is what will be displayed as your video memory. This is quite slow for a number of reasons, and will have both the gpu and cpu fighting for what little memory bandwidth there is.

Dedicated video ram is actually on board the GPU, and does not require access requests to go out across the motherboard, to the main system memory. This is generally speaking a lot faster, and most high performance graphics cards will use RAM such as gddr5, which is incredibly faster and higher bandwidth then the standard ddr3 memory you'll get on your motherboard.