Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A virus Ebola.  (Read 61227 times)

WitheHole18

• Nothing is created, nothing is destroyed.
A virus Ebola.
« on: August 05, 2014, 01:39:36 PM »
I've heard of this virus in the newscast.
I also understood that it is deadly to humans.
What do you think?
There are  about 800 victims.

tuto99

• Baba Booey
Re: A virus Ebola.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 02:41:40 PM »
What do you think?
I think it is dangerous.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 02:44:04 PM »
Ebola is spreading to Germany and Nauru I think.

Cosmos

• unvrs sndbox plz.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 03:40:07 PM »
Pandemic 2, anyone?

Pinkythefoxxywasp

• Snoop is my idol
    • Steam Account
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 10:46:48 PM »
Pandemic 2, anyone?

God dammit madagascar is hard to get to in that game. (madagascar has closed its ports NOOO)

wubbzy301

• I stole a username idea!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 11:17:12 PM »
I've heard of this virus in the newscast.
I also understood that it is deadly to humans.
What do you think?
There are  about 800 victims.

I don't like to see this picture.

Lord DC

• Omnitae - Leader of Omnipotencia
    • Steam profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 11:21:01 PM »
Everyone evacuate! The Incarnator will deal with this threat...

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 01:37:52 AM »
Re to be the square, the shape of my favorite is the circle fountain fountain of bulge of some ebola

Xriqxa

• 01000011 01101111 01101101 01101101 01110101 01101
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 01:45:50 AM »
Guys, I'm sure if one of us contracted Ebola none of us would be making these jokes and references. Real people are out there suffering from this.

WitheHole18

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 01:47:25 AM »
Guys, I'm sure if one of us contracted Ebola none of us would be making these jokes and references. Real people are out there suffering from this.

What do you mean?
However, this virus is real and there are no antidotes.

Xriqxa

• 01000011 01101111 01101101 01101101 01110101 01101
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 01:49:42 AM »
Exactly. There is nobody to cure these suffering people and we're all here laughing at Madagascar references.

WitheHole18

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 01:51:05 AM »
They are just jokes ...
Then there's not only in Madagascar but also in Africa, in fact in the swamps.

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 02:09:42 AM »
Nothing to worry about for the Western world.

However, it being in Lagos is basically the worst-case scenario for an ebola outbreak. One of the world's largest cities with over 20 million inhabitants, many of whom live in a series of megaslums without access to good sanitation. For a blood and fluidborne virus, that's basically ideal breeding conditions. Lagos is also a major shipping, transport and economic hub for Africa so even if it's contained in the city, it's going to cause long-term ripples in the recovering African economies that could cause even more trouble and deaths than the virus did.

SpyCreepers

• Confederation Helvetia
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 05:04:49 AM »
What? *Buys ticket to austria*

Mrclimix

• The cosmos is nearly in our grasp of manipulating
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 05:20:32 AM »
Well,
The case fatality rate is over 90% making it one of the most deadliest virus but not only that before you died you will suffer with the effects of this virus such as bleeding of mucus membranes decreased of liver functions which makes you have diarrhea also that spreads the virus even more making it a perfect sample of virus ready to be spread by a mad scientist all over the world.

But that is impossible so let's just wish that this virus would have a vaccine

Unnamed25

• o hai
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 08:28:02 AM »
I read an article about a new generation of vaccines that destroy the protective layer of bacterias (and viruses? Lets hope.) that is still under testing.

And since it doesn't enter it, the scientists are sure that they won't grow immune to it.

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 08:28:37 AM »
What? *Buys ticket to austria*

It won't be a big problem if it does. Germany has experience with haemorrhagic fevers due to the Marburg virus outbreak of the 1960s, excellent sanitation and health infrastructure, and access to high-level biosafety equipment.

It is highly unlikely to get to Nauru - that's a bit of a bizarre idea. Unfortunately, my country treats the asylum seekers we send to Nauru like dogs, but this has the benefit of making everything a lengthy process. Ebola is pretty fast-acting - if you got it, you'll know quickly and you'll really wish you didn't. There is otherwise very little traffic between Africa and Nauru, and even there, most of our African asylum seekers come from East Africa, not West Africa.

Well,
The case fatality rate is over 90% making it one of the most deadliest virus but not only that before you died you will suffer with the effects of this virus such as bleeding of mucus membranes decreased of liver functions which makes you have diarrhea also that spreads the virus even more making it a perfect sample of virus ready to be spread by a mad scientist all over the world.

But that is impossible so let's just wish that this virus would have a vaccine

It depends on the strain. The current outbreak only has a 64% mortality rate, which is actually low for the strain it is - ebola zaire. Also, ebola is useless in its current state to 'mad scientists' as it is too fast-acting and isn't airborne, nor does it have an infectious incubation period. While we can't cure it, we can control the spread actually quite easily.

It's only particularly bad when it hits areas without medical infrastructure and where they don't trust the medical establishment. With proper procedures, it's really not all that frightening. Unpleasant, absolutely, and I wouldn't want to catch it - but no cause for alarm outside of West Africa at present.

Josh

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 09:24:28 AM »
I read an article about a new generation of vaccines that destroy the protective layer of bacterias (and viruses? Lets hope.) that is still under testing.

And since it doesn't enter it, the scientists are sure that they won't grow immune to it.

This reminded me of an article I read recently that happens to deal with the current Ebola virus. It's very interesting, has anyone else read this?

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/experimental-ebola-treatment-produced-genetically-modified-plants

WitheHole18

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 11:16:44 AM »
Good news:
It seems that the test for the antidote to work.
In September should start the official distribution.

PrimeMinisterTom

• GANDALF IS WATCHING YOU! New Alpha Tester.
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 02:38:52 AM »
Good news:
It seems that the test for the antidote to work.
In September should start the official distribution.

I'm sp relieved  :D

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 10:12:09 PM »
Don't get too excited. We actually don't know if the cure works at all yet, there are basically no doses, and it's not been properly tested on humans - like, at all. It's been tested on three people, one of whom died anyway, the other two being the Americans who are receiving top-notch care.

The cure is, at this stage, nothing but a potential. They're basically doing a field trial on some lucky (or unlucky) Liberians to see if it works and to make sure it doesn't kill you in two weeks. Long term safety is unknown and chances are it might not see mass deployment.

300Achilles

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 03:17:21 PM »
It seems the cure for ebola may actually be tobacco which the experimental serum is made out of apparently,
I havent heard any further news on this feel free to correct me.

WitheHole18

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 06:21:09 AM »
It seems the cure for ebola may actually be tobacco which the experimental serum is made out of apparently,
I havent heard any further news on this feel free to correct me.
http://www.repubblica.it/salute/2014/08/21/news/scheda_mzapp-94227595/
seems to be true...
The antidote is called Zmapp

DDR2402

• Polish Alpha Tester
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 12:06:58 PM »

What do you mean?
However, this virus is real and there are no antidotes.

There are antidotes, but experimental and not aviable world-wide.
Some people were healed by these experimental antidotes.

WitheHole18

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2014, 04:17:00 AM »
has detected a suspected case in sweden...

SpyCreepers

• Confederation Helvetia
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2014, 04:21:27 AM »
has detected a suspected case in sweden...
let us see the fall of europe by this tiny FUCKING Virus

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2014, 02:23:40 PM »
"It's simply not profitable to cure ebola [make it go extinct]. When it's cured, there's no need for more medicine! The same is true for malaria and tubercolosis."

I think that's a good quote, from this blog (it's in Danish though). A company that looks to earn money from selling medicine could make a fortune if ebola persisted as a problem among thousands of people for decades, compared to curing a few thousand and getting rid of the problem once and for all.
http://arbejderen.dk/blog-indl%C3%A6g/magnus-m%C3%B8ller-ziegler/b%C3%B8nner-helbreder-ikke-ebola

With that said, I don't think it's likely that it'll become a major disease in Europe as most people live in more hygienic conditions (no/sparse access to water -> no handwashing) and have better access to healthcare, and it doesn't appear to be able to spread by air.
If a disease kills a lot of those it infects it also makes it harder to spread. Ebola has a delay of course but still, diseases generally don't have an interest in killing those they infect.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2014, 02:47:20 PM »
Hmm... what if medical supplies magically deteriorated and hygiene becomes harder to come by in Europe...

I smell money.

300Achilles

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2014, 09:07:25 PM »
"It's simply not profitable to cure ebola [make it go extinct]. When it's cured, there's no need for more medicine! The same is true for malaria and tubercolosis."

I think that's a good quote, from this blog (it's in Danish though). A company that looks to earn money from selling medicine could make a fortune if ebola persisted as a problem among thousands of people for decades, compared to curing a few thousand and getting rid of the problem once and for all.
http://arbejderen.dk/blog-indl%C3%A6g/magnus-m%C3%B8ller-ziegler/b%C3%B8nner-helbreder-ikke-ebola

With that said, I don't think it's likely that it'll become a major disease in Europe as most people live in more hygienic conditions (no/sparse access to water -> no handwashing) and have better access to healthcare, and it doesn't appear to be able to spread by air.
If a disease kills a lot of those it infects it also makes it harder to spread. Ebola has a delay of course but still, diseases generally don't have an interest in killing those they infect.

actually there is a strain of ebola that is spread through air although it affects monkeys

SpyCreepers

• Confederation Helvetia
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2014, 12:42:37 AM »

OK OK. I GIVE UP. from now on i'm gonna wash my hands. (i rarely washed them only twice a day)