Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Civilization 5 Summer 2014 Marathon 1 - July 6, 16:00 UTC!  (Read 7370 times)

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
Civilization 5 Summer 2014 Marathon 1 - July 6, 16:00 UTC!
« on: July 01, 2014, 06:10:05 PM »
Hi people, let's organize the Civ 5 marathon. Please vote in this spreadsheet for everything related to the planning. As more and more votes are entered, I'll follow up and remove options and stuff so we can narrow in how the game will be and when.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D0brw6KD819gHWrdJ4sOMmucqv2ckRAbu__reKPQpY0/edit#gid=0

It would be much appreciated if people could answer the first question (whether they're interested in joining the event) as soon as possible so we know whether or not to wait for them to vote on the rest and stuff.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 09:47:07 AM by Bla »

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
Re: Civilization 5 Summer 2014 Marathon 1
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 07:54:54 PM »
Prolly cant sry

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 08:14:11 PM »
Also why is it called marathon its us sitting in front of comp till 2am without moving
i call it

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 05:52:40 AM »
Have you opened the spreadsheet? I'd officially recommend checking it before asking a lot of questions

It's marathon because we intend to finish the game within a few days yes, and intend to devote our entire day(s) to it until it's done. Of course people can go to the toilet and get food etc.

Also people, please stop messing with the questions. -_-
Someone added
DLCs Allowed (Vote yes if you have it, no if you don't, we'll only play with those people voted yes for besides expansions)
we simply cannot play with the expansions on if either of us does not have it and joins the game.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=504283

I have locked the cells that are not for votes now. You can add comments on them if you think they should be changed or discuss it in this topic. I didn't spend more than a hour creating this sheet just for people to mess with the questions.

I've also added an option so people can put "required" at the DLCs list if they think we shouldn't allow people to join the event if they don't have the DLCs. Let's put that up for a vote instead of fighting over the question title.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:43:00 AM by Bla »

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 08:08:36 AM »
eh I don't think I'll be participating

smjjames

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 08:35:01 AM »
Hey Yqt, I'm just wondering how come you think the Babylonians are OP?

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 05:01:08 PM »
Ok, I've gone through the votes so far, and colored some things based on what I've been able to conclude from the votes so far. Here are some of our decisions (edited after Atomic's exit):

Participants and Time:
- Bla, Fiah, Matty, Smjjames, Quontex and Yqt are interested in participating. (6 human players).
(Atomic has told me he's not interested anymore, even if he had the DLCs, so I've changed his interest vote to no.)

- It appears that the best time for the event is leaning towards July 5 at 16:00 UTC.
While July 5-8 all have either Fiah or Yqt saying "maybe" to a day, starting it as early as possible gives the highest probability of us being able to complete the game before we reach one of Yqt's "no"-days (July 9). However, as we approach the date and Yqt and Fiah become more certain on the dates, we could move it.

Map:
- The game clearly will be FFA, and the AIs will also play FFA roles.

- The number of AIs added to the game will be max possible for the map, which is 4.

- The number of city states is currently disputed.

- The desired map size is large. This is intended for 10 players with 20 city states.

- The desired map type is disputed, but most of the options have been removed now, so you may reconsider your votes here.

Settings:
- Bla will host the game.

- There's a dispute between king or prince difficulty, but it appears that prince is winning if we remove the other options and change people's highest priority to 1 and lowest priority to 2. Please reassign your votes here.

- The game pace will be quick, and will start in the ancient era.

- There's a perfect dispute between simultaneous and hybrid turns after the third option was removed and highest priority changed to 1 and lowest to 2. Matty still needs to vote here though.
After Atomic's vote has been removed from consideration, hybrid turns wins unless Matty disputes that.

- World age will be random, although the result doesn't seem 100% clear, so people can recheck their votes if they want. Only thing that's sure is 4 billion lost.

- Temperature will be temperate and rainfall will be normal.

- The sea level votes are very conflicting, but most people seem ok with medium. We could pick medium as a middle ground.

- There's a dispute between legendary start or strategic balance resources.

Advanced settings:
- Time and science victories will be disabled. Cultural, domination and diplomatic will be enabled.

- These options will be enabled:
Allow Policy Saving
Allow Promotion Saving
Complete Kills
Quick Combat
Quick Movement
Random Personalities

- These options will be disabled:
Max Turns
Enable Turn Timer
Disable Start Bias
No Ancient Ruins
No Barbarians
No City Razing
No Espionage
One-City Challenge
Pitboss
Raging Barbarians

- After Atomic's exit has been considered, we know we can play with these DLCs:
Mongolia
Spain and Inca
Polynesia
Conquest Deluxe
Babylon
Expansion: Gods and Kings
Expansion: Brave New World

- And these DLCs appear to be unavailable for the game:
Denmark
Korea
Ancient Wonders
Explorers Map Pack
Scrambled Continents
Scrambled Nations

- All civilizations that are available after the DLCs have been taken into consideration, will be freely available for everyone to choose from.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 05:36:41 PM by Bla »

smjjames

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 05:48:20 PM »
As for map type, Pangaea is just a favorite, but I don't really have a preference. Also, I don't have the Continents plus map type.

As for the resources, probably would depend on which map we play.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 06:01:49 PM by smjjames »

Quontex

• For The Republic!
    • Space Engine
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 06:27:50 PM »
I have a problem when it comes to Quick combat, I cannot create puppets or raze the city, in fact the pop-up never comes up at all. It just auto-annexes the city, So i'm asking people to change their vote please.

smjjames

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 06:32:34 PM »
Besides, theres an option in the game settings for that.

Also, as for the explorers map pack, I went and grabbed that one, so......

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 07:23:12 PM »
Gl not getting rekt

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 08:35:31 AM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '126421'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:20:57 AM by FiahOwl »

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 01:42:07 PM »
Ok, unless we get serious complaints, these will be the final settings for the event:

We start the event on July 4 at 16:00 UTC. This is currently disputed.
We will try to play as long as possible in this run, but we probably won't finish. We'll continue on July 6 and 7, both days by continuing at 16:00 UTC, and hopefully we'll get the game finished before July 8.

Map settings
- 10 players, 6 humans and 4 AIs, FFA.
- There will be 20 city states. (chosen as a compromise between the votes)
- Large map
- Continents plus map type!

Settings
- Bla is host
- Prince difficulty!
- Quick game speed
- Start in ancient era
- Hybrid turns
- Random world age
- Temperate temperature
- Normal rainfall
- Medium sea level! (Chosen as middle ground as high and low were tied but most were ok with medium)
- Strategic balance resources! (Ignored Smj's vote as he put two 1s and considered Matty's vote for strategic balance, giving that a majority)

Advanced settings
- Enabled victories: Domination, cultural, diplomatic
- Disabled victories: Time, science
- Enabled settings: Allow Policy Saving, Allow Promotion Saving, Complete Kills, Quick Movement, Random Personalities
- Disabled settings: Max Turns, Enable Turn Timer, Disable Start Bias, No Ancient Ruins, No Barbarians, No City Razing, No Espionage, One-City Challenge, Pitboss, Quick Combat, Raging Barbarians
- DLCs we'll play with: Mongolia, Spain and Inca, Polynesia, Conquest Deluxe, Babylon, Explorers Map Pack, Expansion: Gods and Kings, Expansion: Brave New World
- Everyone will be able to freely pick any civ that the core game and DLCs above enables.

Please confirm if you accept the settings
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 02:01:37 PM by Bla »

smjjames

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 01:42:28 PM »
Most likely it would be a no for tomorrow, I'm not 100% sure, the 6th would be better.

Bla, Tomorrow may or may not work.

As for the resources, depends on the map, but stragetic balance is good.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 01:47:06 PM »
Most likely it would be a no for tomorrow, I'm not 100% sure, the 6th would be better.

Bla, Tomorrow may or may not work.
The problem is, Yqt and Fiah also put a maybe on the later dates. Unless they change that, there's really no way to determine if 4th is better than 6th is better than 7th other than picking the first date so we at least have the chance to extend the game to the later dates before the 8th and 9th where we start to get into big trouble.

If Yqt changes his maybe to yes on the 6th or you become sure you can't tomorrow, we can move the event to the 6th.

smjjames

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 01:53:13 PM »
Okay yeah, definetly won't be able to tomorrow morning (unless you want to only do it for like an hour :P ) and I'm going to a BBQ thing before fireworks (probably go over at 5 or so local time), so no.

The 6th and 7th are fine though.

As for the no quick combat, I think that can be overridden by having the game settings be quick combat, did we usually play MP with quick combat on or...?

When we get to planes, blar :P
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 02:00:33 PM by smjjames »

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 01:58:23 PM »
OMG same here im doing a bbq

smjjames

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 02:01:03 PM »
OMG same here im doing a bbq

Doesn't everybody on the 4th anyway?

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 05:15:03 PM »
@ Fiahstorm about why I wrote 58 city states as max. No mods used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxxIoXlKJEw

FiahOwl

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 06:08:34 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '126449'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:20:48 AM by FiahOwl »

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 08:01:35 PM »
I'm going to sleep now, but soon Yqt will probably know if he's available on July 6. If he's available then, we can start the game on July 6 at 16:00 UTC.

If not, everyone please stay calm and panic.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2014, 09:46:57 AM »
Yqt has confirmed he's available on July 6. So the final settings are:

We start the event on July 6 at 16:00 UTC.
We will try to play as long as possible in this run, but we probably won't finish. We'll continue on July 7 at 16:00 UTC, and hopefully we'll get the game finished before July 8.

Map settings
- 10 players, 6 humans and 4 AIs, FFA.
- There will be 20 city states. (chosen as a compromise between the votes)
- Large map
- Continents plus map type!

Settings
- Bla is host
- Prince difficulty!
- Quick game speed
- Start in ancient era
- Hybrid turns
- Random world age
- Temperate temperature
- Normal rainfall
- Medium sea level! (Chosen as middle ground as high and low were tied but most were ok with medium)
- Strategic balance resources! (Ignored Smj's vote as he put two 1s and considered Matty's vote for strategic balance, giving that a majority)

Advanced settings
- Enabled victories: Domination, cultural, diplomatic
- Disabled victories: Time, science
- Enabled settings: Allow Policy Saving, Allow Promotion Saving, Complete Kills, Quick Movement, Random Personalities
- Disabled settings: Max Turns, Enable Turn Timer, Disable Start Bias, No Ancient Ruins, No Barbarians, No City Razing, No Espionage, One-City Challenge, Pitboss, Quick Combat, Raging Barbarians
- DLCs we'll play with: Mongolia, Spain and Inca, Polynesia, Conquest Deluxe, Babylon, Explorers Map Pack, Expansion: Gods and Kings, Expansion: Brave New World
- Everyone will be able to freely pick any civ that the core game and DLCs above enables.

FiahOwl

Re: Civilization 5 Summer 2014 Marathon 1 - July 6, 16:00 UTC!
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2014, 09:58:56 AM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '126470'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:20:43 AM by FiahOwl »

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2014, 10:05:52 AM »
A poll has been added here for whether we should play on continents instead of continents plus:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D0brw6KD819gHWrdJ4sOMmucqv2ckRAbu__reKPQpY0/edit#gid=530783637

The main difference is plus has those island chains and city states are scripted to be founded on them and the city states therefore get rather detached from the gameplay.

FiahOwl

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2014, 10:11:25 AM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '126472'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:20:40 AM by FiahOwl »

smjjames

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 12:47:14 PM »
I'd probably slightly prefer continents over continents plus, if only because it tends to generate more continents, but either one is fine.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 01:17:17 PM »
Based on the votes we will be allowing the game to restart max 3 times if people are unsatisfied with their starts. If we do 3 restarts and people are still unsatisfied, we will then vote for which of the 4 saves we will actually play.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2014, 02:51:54 PM »
We got a game going and have progressed to around the end of classical/start of medieval eras. Sadly, Matty had to leave, Yqt lost motivation and Smj probably had some issues with his game that caused our saves to be corrupted, so in the end only I, Quontex and Fiah were playing up to this point, which was rather disappointing, but the game ran smoothly.

I hope people have more time and motivation tomorrow. We'll try to continue at 16:00 UTC. I really don't know if you can join Smj, it'd be fun with more people, but having the past two saves corrupted, having had to restart/reload and so many crashed on start and disconnections throwing the game out of pace, I just don't think we can do it sorry. I'm open to giving it another try tomorrow but if the problems happen again, I think we'll have to give up there.

FiahOwl

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 01:49:31 PM »

This message is only viewable with Universe Sandbox Galaxy Edition. Access it and much more with promo-code '127378'.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 02:24:14 AM by FiahOwl »

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 01:52:58 PM »
kol
I, Smj and Quontex actually had a good game but we haven't finished it yet.

I don't think what happened is really fun though. I'm very disappointed by it and I don't think I'll bother trying to organize a civ event in this community again.