Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Discussion about Piracy  (Read 19441 times)

Cosmos

• unvrs sndbox plz.
Discussion about Piracy
« on: June 28, 2014, 01:30:09 PM »
Because I was looking for a torrent of the alpha, and yet no torrents found. There is two, all of them are .ee, thepiratebay and isohunt don't work! >:( Send me a link if there is a working torrent so I don't have to bang my head on the keyboard.

._.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 12:35:46 PM by Dan Dixon »

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
Re: So this was posted
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 02:53:20 PM »
At least theres none! Dan added a key thing i think

arthurcara

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 07:15:25 PM »
The "key thing" won't hold US from the pirates forever. If anyone has a copy of the alpha game and wants to screw up everything the US team has made so far, he/she could send the game folder to any crack team who might find a way to pass through the "key thing" and publish it on torrent sites like pirate bay. There are a lot of steam games that have already been cracked in a matter of hours. Just hoping that will not happen with Universe Sandbox 2, since it is a spectacular game and should not be cracked by any means.

Question to the US2 team: Since universe sandbox is an offline game, it can be easily cracked unless the US team are planning to pack/protect the game with a custom packer/protector, which could make the cracker's work harder, but not impossible. Are you planning to add this kind of "anti-cracking" features into the game?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 07:28:44 PM by arthurcara »

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 07:48:21 PM »
Yeah theres probably n8 way to stop the pirates. I was thinking about auth servers like in minecraft, but probably not applicable

pac0master

• Developer of Portal 2: Abyss
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 12:40:10 AM »
I will be honest with you.

Best thing is to not do much. Large companies spend millions of dollars against piracy and they all fail.
Most people who pirate might just want to try to game and buy it afterwards anyway.

I did downloaded pirated games myself since it is not possible for a Pc gamer to loan games so there isn't much options.

Also happened when I was low budget

I bought every games I enjoyed so far.

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: Discussion about Piracy
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 12:40:05 PM »
Because I was looking for a torrent of the alpha, and yet no torrents found. There is two, all of them are .ee, thepiratebay and isohunt don't work! >:( Send me a link if there is a working torrent so I don't have to bang my head on the keyboard.
When's the next signup?!  :D
Or does it have to be only one sign up?  :'(

You asked about a torrent. I removed that comment and all responses about it. Please do not discuss how to pirate Universe Sandbox here.

And to everyone else, please do not physically threaten those that ask about piracy (with hanging or an imaginary hell).

To be fair... at this point, it's hard to say a pirated version is a lost sale since you can't buy it yet... and the pirated version won't update (since it's not associated with a Steam account). That said, piracy of software is theft of a sort (but clearly less bad than theft of a physical object) and it's disrespectful to discuss it in front of the team who made the game.

Thanks for your interest spacegenius2000. We're going to start selling access to the alpha by the end of 2014. We don't have any more free signups planned before then.

Best thing is to not do much.

Agreed.

The "key thing" won't hold US from the pirates forever.

True.

Just hoping that will not happen with Universe Sandbox 2, since it is a spectacular game and should not be cracked by any means.

Thanks... that just means it will be cracked for sure. It feels good to be making something that's worth cracking. :)

Question to the US2 team... Are you planning to add this kind of "anti-cracking" features into the game?

Probably not. At some point we plan to offer a DRM free version for download outside of Steam, so it definitely won't matter then.

WitheHole18

• Nothing is created, nothing is destroyed.
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 01:46:54 PM »
You all right, Universe Sandbox 2 is a simulator fantastic :) but unfortunately the world we are not honest people'' Pirates'',fortunately we must then put honest people. Of course there aren't  pirates only in this project but in all.
But in this forum I noticed something different...
The project US2 is full of contributors,including developers and members,and I do most other people are grateful! :)
Thanks! Keep it up! :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 01:56:08 PM by WitheHole18 »

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 03:06:42 PM »
this thread made me sad

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 05:02:06 PM »
this thread made me sad

Nothing to be sad about... Piracy is by no means the worst crime ever, and it's a complement to have made something worth pirating.

pac0master

• Developer of Portal 2: Abyss
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 05:19:44 PM »
Nothing to be sad about... Piracy is by no means the worst crime ever, and it's a complement to have made something worth pirating.

I like your answer,

I might feel the same if I was at your place, I'm working on my project which is free and I like how many people are interested and seeing a small community that may grow in the future :P

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 05:25:22 PM »
I should add that it's not cool to pirate when you can afford the game and are going to play it for more than a few minutes. But if actually have no way of purchasing the game or if it's a choice between the game and food, by all means pirate the game and buy some food. You can always buy it later when your situation improves. It's not a lost sale if you couldn't or wouldn't ever buy it in the first place.

It's because so many people bought the first one that I was able to hire a time to make the second.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 05:31:42 PM by Dan Dixon »

physics

• what the boson is string theory?
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 05:33:27 PM »
i met a pirate once. i was at disneyland and Mickey Mouse made me drop my ice cream...