Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Disease Trajectories Based on 6.2 Million Patients  (Read 2991 times)

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
Disease Trajectories Based on 6.2 Million Patients
« on: June 27, 2014, 05:32:18 AM »
People from University of Copenhagen and Denmark's Technical University have used data from the past 15 years from the public healthcare system to study correlations between symptoms and all kinds of diseases, finding 1,171 'significant trajectories'.
That's a lot of data...

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/140617/ncomms5022/full/ncomms5022.html

Abstract:
A key prerequisite for precision medicine is the estimation of disease progression from the current patient state. Disease correlations and temporal disease progression (trajectories) have mainly been analysed with focus on a small number of diseases or using large-scale approaches without time consideration, exceeding a few years. So far, no large-scale studies have focused on defining a comprehensive set of disease trajectories. Here we present a discovery-driven analysis of temporal disease progression patterns using data from an electronic health registry covering the whole population of Denmark. We use the entire spectrum of diseases and convert 14.9 years of registry data on 6.2 million patients into 1,171 significant trajectories. We group these into patterns centred on a small number of key diagnoses such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and gout, which are central to disease progression and hence important to diagnose early to mitigate the risk of adverse outcomes. We suggest such trajectory analyses may be useful for predicting and preventing future diseases of individual patients.

chanachaitoy

Re: Disease Trajectories Based on 6.2 Million Patients
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 02:32:42 AM »

It is the best post I am about this. I get a lot of information. I'm reading I'm not easy to understand the other.