Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Some questions from a newbie  (Read 3963 times)

arthurcara

Some questions from a newbie
« on: June 20, 2014, 04:06:44 PM »
Hello guys from US community I am new to the forum and want to ask if universe sandbox 2 will/already support any of the following features:

a) Big bang simulation.
b) Accelerating universe predicted by Saul Perlmutter, Brian P. Schmidt, and Adam G. Riess.
c) Stars and galaxies formation and evolution until they collapse.
d) Real light simulation (electromagnetic spectrum is different when reflected or created by different planets/stars).
e) Neutrinos and other particles stars can emit.
f) See current concentration of hydrogen and other atoms that can fuse inside a star (if it is too low the star is about to collapse since it has little fuel).
g) Time traveling to the past (make the simulation run backwards).
h) Planets magnetic field and solar winds.
i) Neutron stars.
j) See planets interior structure (inner core, outter core and stiffer mantle on Earth for example).
k) Ocean tides.
l) Collision and explosion sounds (I know there is no sound in space).
m) Other kinds of waves (gamma rays, radio waves, etc.)

That is all for now, if you know if US will support any of the items, please tell me. I am sorry if it was too much, but i want universe sandbox to be a complete game. Maybe you can split all those features in DLCs because i know people won't pay for the full game with all these features, since it would cost a lot more.

Sorry for my bad english, I am brazilian.  If you find any grammar errors please tell me, I want to learn from my mistakes, but please don't be rude.

Thanks for reading all this ;)
Special thanks to the developers of this awesome game.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 04:27:38 PM by arthurcara »

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
Re: Some questions from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 06:04:09 PM »
Hello guys from US community I am new to the forum and want to ask if universe sandbox 2 will/already support any of the following features:

a) Big bang simulation. No
b) Accelerating universe predicted by Saul Perlmutter, Brian P. Schmidt, and Adam G. Riess. No
c) Stars and galaxies formation and evolution until they collapse. Yes! Well, I am sure about the stars
d) Real light simulation (electromagnetic spectrum is different when reflected or created by different planets/stars). You mean, different colors? Yes
e) Neutrinos and other particles stars can emit. No
f) See current concentration of hydrogen and other atoms that can fuse inside a star (if it is too low the star is about to collapse since it has little fuel). Half yes half no
g) Time traveling to the past (make the simulation run backwards). This is already available on the last version of US
h) Planets magnetic field and solar winds.No
i) Neutron stars.Uh...What about black holes? We have them
j) See planets interior structure (inner core, outter core and stiffer mantle on Earth for example).Half yes half no
k) Ocean tides.No
l) Collision and explosion sounds (I know there is no sound in space).Yes for both!!
m) Other kinds of waves (gamma rays, radio waves, etc.)All light will be in the visible spectrum. We can't see X rays and gamma rays, durr

That is all for now, if you know if US will support any of the items, please tell me. I am sorry if it was too much, but i want universe sandbox to be a complete game. Maybe you can split all those features in DLCs because i know people won't pay for the full game with all these features, since it would cost a lot more.

Sorry for my bad english, I am brazilian.  If you find any grammar errors please tell me, I want to learn from my mistakes, but please don't be rude.

Thanks for reading all this ;)
Special thanks to the developers of this awesome game.

I answered to your questions in the quote

Oh, you are brazillian? I am brazillian too! Como vai?

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 12:35:03 AM »

Quickly elaborating on a few of the points

g) Time traveling to the past (make the simulation run backwards).
h) Planets magnetic field and solar winds.
k) Ocean tides.

g) while you can run things with a negative time step, not all things can be integrated backwards. Simple thermodynamics really. After a collision which spawns fragments and melts a planet, you cannot simulate backwards to gather the fragments and convert heat into motion and send the impator flying back out from the collision.

h) this is being considered and will, barring unforeseen issues, be added eventually.

k) this is being considered for when SPH is running right, in which case a simplistic ocean could potentially be modeled as a layer of particles on a sphere.

arthurcara

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 07:18:15 PM »
Thank you for all your answers, just three things i am still in doubt in gabriel's reply:

1 - In the letter m) i meant if we could see images like this one:

This image was made using infra red detectors (i know US won't be able to simulate all those stars, it is just an example). There are also images made from xray and gamma ray, which is what i was talking about. Can we see stars using that kind of " image filters" in US?

2 - What is the answer in the letter i)? Will we have neutron stars or not? I really think neutron stars would be a big feature in the game.

3 - In the letters f) and j) what did you mean by half yes/half no. What was the half that will truly appear in the game.

Thank you again for your patience and time.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 07:38:40 PM by arthurcara »

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 09:51:55 PM »
1 - I don't know, really. We are going to see stars as they are. Almost all stars emit light in the visible spectrum (except maybe some brown dwarfs) so that is not a problem. I don't know exactly what you're asking, tbh.

2 - So far there are no neutron stars in the game, but that's a good idea. I don't see why not add them.

3 - f) we are going to be able to add water, silicates and metals to the surface of planets and stars. However, as of now hydrogen isn't in that list. j) This is pointed more towards the "no", actually.  You're probably talking about graphs like this, I assume?

Then no.