Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Interstellar/planetary Internet?  (Read 7075 times)

pac0master

• Developer of Portal 2: Abyss
Interstellar/planetary Internet?
« on: June 17, 2014, 01:50:12 PM »
Hey there, We all seen the news about studies and proposition about making Mars Habitable.

What I wonder is how is it possible to set up a good internet connection there. between Earth and Mars, or even other bodies.

I will take mars for an example here.

Knowing that nothing can go faster than light, it mean that the latency would reach records of over 7 minutes up to 20 min if i remember right.

What I was thinking is to create a copy of the server farms we currently have on earth and Build them on Mars. from then those sever farm can synchronize and share information 

From the client on Mars perspective he would be typing a message on the forum,  everyone else on Mars will be able to see it but then be visible to earth after around 7-20 minutes.

The problem is that only turn based game would be possible between each planets.

What do you guys think? Is there more efficient way to do it?

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
Re: Interstellar/planetary Internet?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 02:24:19 PM »
well normal internet stuff would be easy... you'd probably have to game with other martians though or yeah, play turn based games where people are okay with waiting a long time

"sorry guys i've got 420000ms ping"

also unless you had a system of communications satellites orbiting Mars, you only would have internet half of the day.

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 02:47:37 PM »
most modern browsers are able to predict which links you'll click next and load them even before you click on them, thus they are able to load pages very fast. iirc this is called prefetching

i imagine, if you wanted to get any reasonable speed, you would do the same thing on a larger scale, prefetching several links ahead of time. pac0master's idea with the server farms is basically prefetching the entire internet, but that seems a bit infeasible. in reality, you might just prefetch the websites that you frequent.

adtdeveloping

• Alpha tester here :D < Cause ... yolo.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 10:11:40 AM »
Hey there, We all seen the news about studies and proposition about making Mars Habitable.

What I wonder is how is it possible to set up a good internet connection there. between Earth and Mars, or even other bodies.

Knowing that nothing can go faster than light, it mean that the latency would reach records of over 7 minutes up to 20 min if i remember right.

What I was thinking is to create a copy of the server farms we currently have on earth and Build them on Mars. from then those sever farm can synchronize and share information 

From the client on Mars perspective he would be typing a message on the forum,  everyone else on Mars will be able to see it but then be visible to earth after around 7-20 minutes.

The problem is that only turn based game would be possible between each planets.

Skype would be a total bitch then, waiting 14 mins for response.

PrimeMinisterTom

• GANDALF IS WATCHING YOU! New Alpha Tester.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 02:41:13 AM »

I guess live chat wont be possible. It'll take so much longer to reply and even read it :P But then we could make some kind of 'Mars Time Zone' of some sort. I don't think that would help anyway :P

pac0master

• Developer of Portal 2: Abyss
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 11:58:40 PM »
Yeah, Live chat won't be possible for sure. ( unless some sort of Space warping technology come by )

I was thinking about something like Facebook  or Forums,  where you can talk by texting and then get a respond  hours or even days later.

Or Turn based Games like  Chess, Checkers  might be interesting too!

PrimeMinisterTom

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 11:28:35 PM »
Yeah, Live chat won't be possible for sure. ( unless some sort of Space warping technology come by )

SPACE WAAARRP!!! Probably possible with blackhole/spacewarp technology. 'Dense' light? Anybody?

Xriqxa

• 01000011 01101111 01101101 01101101 01110101 01101
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 02:01:34 AM »
Isn't dense, or "hard", light when light is concentrated into a practically solid state?

Not sure how black holes could be used, though. They are pretty unobtainable, anyway.
Pretty sure light would have to be sent in little recyclable packages that create a curvature drive.

PrimeMinisterTom

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 01:39:35 AM »
Isn't dense, or "hard", light when light is concentrated into a practically solid state?

Me making up some impossible way to warp space time. After all, if light in a solid state does exist, therefore it may just go a tad bit faster than light itself. But when I think of it, I'd be wrong.

Not sure how black holes could be used, though. They are pretty unobtainable, anyway.

Well, there is a particle accelerator… I can't remember the name …that is dubbed to be capable of doing so. However, without destroying life as we know it, that's a different thing. I doubt NASA would be stuffed throwing particle accelerators to space anyway.

Pretty sure light would have to be sent in little recyclable packages that create a curvature drive.

I guess that would work too.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 02:02:53 AM by PrimeMinisterTom »