Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Payment Plans for US2  (Read 16287 times)

mcallisterw

Payment Plans for US2
« on: February 28, 2010, 08:17:56 AM »
What is the plan for payment for Universe Sandbox 2?

I've just bought US, but I only paid the minimum amount, partly because I don't have much money, but mainly because I could see that I was buying something that would soon be obselete and didn't know how much US2 would cost, whether existing US owners would get a discount or anything... Could someone please clarify.

P.S. I'm currently making a fictional solar system, and my motives for getting US were that I could make it scientifically realistic :D

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
Re: Payment Plans for US2
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 09:25:20 AM »
I'm pretty sure that Universe Sandbox 2 will cost the same as Universe Sandbox 1 (as much as you want to pay) - but I think those who use Universe Sandbox 1 may upgrade to Universe Sandbox 2 for free (you pay for the license, not the program itself).
Edit: No, read Dan's post.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 10:53:23 PM by Bla »

Chaotic Cow

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • President of Bovine Relations
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 07:14:29 PM »
Exactly what Bla said.

If you bought US already you will automatically be able to update your US to 2.0 when it is released. :D

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 07:44:39 PM »
I apologize for for the confusion. The currently upgrade path and payment model for version 2 has yet to be finalized.

What I can say for sure is that Universe Sandbox 2 will be a fixed price (it will no longer be name your own price) and that current owners of Universe Sandbox will be able to upgrade to Universe Sandbox 2 at a reduced price (based on what they paid for v1).

My apologizes for conflicting comments and claims made in the past.

Why the change?
The name your own price model, while moderately successful, is not a good long term business model to ensure financial stability for continued development.

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
  • caught in the river turning blue
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 09:38:02 PM »
I apologize for for the confusion. The currently upgrade path and payment model for version 2 has yet to be finalized.

What I can say for sure is that Universe Sandbox 2 will be a fixed price (it will no longer be name your own price) and that current owners of Universe Sandbox will be able to upgrade to Universe Sandbox 2 at a reduced price (based on what they paid for v1).

My apologizes for conflicting comments and claims made in the past.

Why the change?
The name your own price model, while moderately successful, is not a good long term business model to ensure financial stability for continued development.

Oh. So no one can cheat...

JoelM935

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 09:24:16 AM »
You said in an earlier post that Universe Sandbox 2 would be free to all the people who brought license for any price, for Universe Sandbox 1.

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 12:23:07 PM »
I can't wait to pay more money to the development of this awesome program! :D ;D :)
Can we still donate with a fixed price?

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 05:30:43 PM »
You said in an earlier post that Universe Sandbox 2 would be free to all the people who brought license for any price, for Universe Sandbox 1.

I'm sorry if this is disappointing to anyone, but in order to guarantee a version 3, I need for version 2 to be financially successful. Giving away a year of work to those that paid just a few dollars isn't fair to those that paid more.

The name your own price model has been an interesting experiment, but moving forward we'll be moving to a fixed price for everyone.

At the same time, I don't want to leave anyone behind because of an inability to pay for the upgrade. I'm finding that balancing business with my desire to give everything away is tricky.

At the same time, too much generosity wouldn't provide the funding necessary to further development over the next year.

I can't wait to pay more money to the development of this awesome program! :D ;D :)
Can we still donate with a fixed price?

Of course.

Chaotic Cow

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 11:13:21 AM »
current owners of Universe Sandbox will be able to upgrade to Universe Sandbox 2 at a reduced price (based on what they paid for v1).

What do you mean? I paid $5 so I can upgrade with what $2?

Bla

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 11:22:02 AM »
What do you mean? I paid $5 so I can upgrade with what $2?
Probably the new fixed price minus the price you paid for Universe Sandbox 1.

Chaotic Cow

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 01:32:11 PM »
If that is so...then I won't be upgrading. D: I have $15 and won't have more for probably months.

InfoBloe

• =]
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 08:34:10 AM »

I'm sorry if this is disappointing to anyone, but in order to guarantee a version 3, I need for version 2 to be financially successful. Giving away a year of work to those that paid just a few dollars isn't fair to those that paid more.

The name your own price model has been an interesting experiment, but moving forward we'll be moving to a fixed price for everyone.

At the same time, I don't want to leave anyone behind because of an inability to pay for the upgrade. I'm finding that balancing business with my desire to give everything away is tricky.

At the same time, too much generosity wouldn't provide the funding necessary to further development over the next year.

That's absolutely fine, id pay £100 for US2 if I had to

deoxy99

• ✨ the name's verb ✨
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 12:35:26 PM »
I don't want to pay 25 dollars! It's no fair! >:(

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 04:26:18 PM »
Life's not fair.

Wow! I'll be paying $5. I'd be glad to pay more!

deoxy99

• ✨ the name's verb ✨
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 04:31:33 PM »
I have to pay 20 dollars, NO FAIR!

How about you subtract twice the money you payed?

I would have to pay 15 dollars!

atomic7732

• Global Moderator
    • Paladin of Storms
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 04:33:27 PM »
"How about everyone gets it for free!"

NOT HAPPENING!

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 01:20:29 AM »
The upgrade pricing has not been finalized. I appreciate that what might seem inexpensive to one person is very expensive to another.

Kettlingur

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 08:27:21 AM »
Will the price for Universe Sandbox #2 after it is released ever surpass $29? If it does, would I cost-wise be better off purchasing Universe Sandbox #1 now for $29 and then getting the free upgrade after it is released?

Dan Dixon

• Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 07:21:14 PM »
We can't promise that the price won't ever change, but as of right now the plan is to launch version 2 for $29.

What may change is that 3D glasses won't be included in that price and will be $3-$5 extra. This, however, is still to be determined.

pagalzone

• Dark Energy, quarks & laptons make up everything!
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 02:11:19 AM »
pl. consider about the users of India, Nepal and other asian and african countries. 30$ is a big amount costs about a new 250GB hard drive. pl. keep it "pay if you can" type.

Andreas

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 02:04:10 PM »
29$?! WTF?!
Thats very expensive. I already did buy 3 US Vers 1 (one for me, one for my girlfriend and one for another friend)...
I don´t think i´ll take version 2 then. Not for that price.

sean2323

• We Space Now
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 02:21:15 PM »
...What may change is that 3D glasses won't be included in that price and will be $3-$5 extra. This, however, is still to be determined.
K well...

3D glasses, dollar store $1, movie theater free

but if their special "universe sandbox 1 or 2 only" glasses, then i'd get them from you. :P

Andreas

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 10:44:16 AM »
i don´t agree with that payment plans. I said why i don´t agree. I already did buy 3 times US. And i won´t pay it 3 times again.