Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mass...  (Read 6579 times)

JAW1002

Mass...
« on: December 05, 2013, 02:42:26 PM »
I've found that despite collisions are looking stunning, the mass not combining and building up kind of takes the fun out of it, right now its just not possible to have a moon or planet form from asteroid impacts. I hope it gets sorted soon, cant wait to get smashing!

valentin123

• Argentinian alpha tester
Re: Mass...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 02:45:10 PM »
that's accretion of rocks,that's how the earth was created

JAW1002

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 03:41:22 PM »
well.. yes that! I would like to see bodies form from accretion. Pretty much what the last universe sandbox did just in a flat and unimpressive manner.

smjjames

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 05:47:52 PM »
Agreed here, while there would be some loss of mass from a huge impact, smaller ones that don't eject material out of orbit should add mass.

Also, I would love to see Ubox2 (or Ubox3 or whatever we decide to call it) be able to simulate the colission of Theia with Earth and the formation of the moon. It's that kind of collision simulation that I hope it will be able to do. :)

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 07:39:33 PM »
Yeah... collisions are broken. Instead of fixing these specific issues we've just begin rethinking our entire collision approach. So while it may be a while before this is fixed, ultimately they're going to be even better.

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 02:45:15 AM »
Essentially there are two modes of collisions.
1) Fast collisions along the lines of what we have now, able to run on all platforms
2) SPH "collisions" which initially will only run on opencl supported hardware

SPH is implemented, but not yet quite hooked up in the build.

For the really complex things such as a gas cloud collapsing under its own gravity, compressing into a central mass and accretion disk, which in turn lumps together futher, we will be going the SPH way. Same goes for things as the moon forming impact

SPH Example - Not Universe Sandbox and not running in real time (it's pre-computed)
The formation of the Moon

For the general fast collision system, there will be limits. We are however working hard to expand those limits as far as possible into the realm of awesome :-)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 12:30:45 PM by Dan Dixon »

JAW1002

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 04:19:21 AM »
Wow that looks like fun to play with.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 05:56:18 AM »
So you're saying my already slideshow experience won't be another slideshow when two similarly sized objects are colliding?

Chris

• Developer
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 06:45:20 AM »
So you're saying my already slideshow experience won't be another slideshow when two similarly sized objects are colliding?

Could you elaborate what "slideshow experience" means?
Is the app running slow for you? All the time or just sometimes?
What are your performance test results and what machine are you running it on?

smjjames

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 09:42:32 AM »
Essentially there are two modes of collisions.
1) Fast collisions along the lines of what we have now, able to run on all platforms
2) SPH "collisions" which initially will only run on opencl supported hardware

SPH is implemented, but not yet quite hooked up in the build.

For the really complex things such as a gas cloud collapsing under its own gravity, compressing into a central mass and accretion disk, which in turn lumps together futher, we will be going the SPH way. Same goes for things as the moon forming impact

SPH Example - Not Universe Sandbox
The formation of the Moon

For the general fast collision system, there will be limits. We are however working hard to expand those limits as far as possible into the realm of awesome :-)

Yeah, I'm hoping for the plastic deformation when two large objects collide. The fast collision system could be used when small objects like asteroids hit.

Also, how do I know if my hardware supports opencl (or do you mean opengl?)?

Greenleaf

• Thomas Grønneløv
  • Development Team
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 02:05:44 PM »
"Also, how do I know if my hardware supports opencl (or do you mean opengl?)?"

Under settings/simulation/gravity advanced/opencl devices

If you see devices there, you have something supporting opencl. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCL

We are using opencl rather than cuda, which is essentially "the same" because opencl runs on a much wider range of devices, whereas cuda is nvidia only.

smjjames

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 02:25:58 PM »
"Also, how do I know if my hardware supports opencl (or do you mean opengl?)?"

Under settings/simulation/gravity advanced/opencl devices

If you see devices there, you have something supporting opencl. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCL

We are using opencl rather than cuda, which is essentially "the same" because opencl runs on a much wider range of devices, whereas cuda is nvidia only.

Apparently my machines vid card is before opencl was even developed. Since I'm interested in getting a new laptop this christmas perhaps, do all new NVIDIA cards support opencl?