Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Benjamin Franklin Birthday/Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday  (Read 4615 times)

Naru523

• Universe Sandbox 1 Beta Team
  • let's walk the true path of life
Benjamin Franklin Birthday/Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday
« on: January 18, 2010, 05:55:46 PM »
I forgot to put Benjamin's birthday yesterday and it wasn't a holiday so...

Benjamin Franklin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_franklin
"Benjamin Franklin (January 17, 1706 [O.S. January 6, 1705] – April 17, 1790) was one of the Founding Fathers of the United States of America. A noted polymath, Franklin was a leading author and printer, satirist, political theorist, politician, scientist, inventor, civic activist, statesman, soldier, and diplomat. As a scientist, he was a major figure in the Enlightenment and the history of physics for his discoveries and theories regarding electricity. He invented the lightning rod, bifocals, the Franklin stove, a carriage odometer, and the glass 'armonica'. He formed both the first public lending library in America and the first fire department in Pennsylvania. He was an early proponent of colonial unity, and as a political writer and activist, he supported the idea of an American nation. As a diplomat during the American Revolution, he secured the French alliance that helped to make independence of the United States possible."

Martin Luther King Jr.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_King_Jr
"Martin Luther King, Jr. (January 15, 1929 – April 4, 1968) was an American clergyman, activist and prominent leader in the African-American civil rights movement. His main legacy was to secure progress on civil rights in the United States, and he has become a human rights icon: King is recognized as a martyr by two Christian churches. A Baptist minister, King became a civil rights activist early in his career. He led the 1955 Montgomery Bus Boycott and helped found the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in 1957, serving as its first president. King's efforts led to the 1963 March on Washington, where King delivered his "I Have a Dream" speech. There, he raised public consciousness of the civil rights movement and established himself as one of the greatest orators in U.S. history."

witold

• Sorry for my bad english (if he is)
Re: Benjamin Franklin Birthday/Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 01:27:48 PM »
So?

Naru523

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 04:43:52 PM »
MLKJ made civil rights about colored people...

I dont really know what is about Benjamin but he was the Founding Fathers.

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 11:27:50 PM »
I must admit that I will always doubt on how much religious people will fight for human rights - if they fight for one, they most often repress two another. Martin Luther King seemed like one of the good religious human rights fighters though. He didn't spread any hate because of his religion.
So, a spoon of respect to him. :)

Naru523

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 05:35:26 PM »
I forgot that witold isn't American. So he doesn't know about this. :P

Bla

• Global Moderator
  • The stars died so you can live.
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 10:51:07 PM »
Randomly, we were working about human rights at school, and randomly, the one we were reading about was Martin Luther Jr. just before you posted this topic. Otherwise I would only have recognized the name. :P
I'm not American either.