Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Major PC overheating problems.  (Read 6206 times)

Kevin1994

• New Space will we ever get up there? I hope so.
Major PC overheating problems.
« on: November 28, 2013, 08:37:52 PM »
Every time I play US3, my PC keeps shutting down on me and it's a Win 7 64bit 6 ram and Geforce 660 Ti. is this a bug on US3 side or me?

valentin123

• Argentinian alpha tester
Re: Major PC overheating problems.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 08:49:11 PM »
Whats your CPU/Proccesor?

Kevin1994

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 09:12:20 PM »
Whats your CPU/Proccesor?
AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 processor 2.80 GH.z

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 10:02:51 PM »
use something like Coretemp to see if your cpu is reaching high temperatures

Unreal2004

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 01:44:03 AM »
If you have never cleaned out your PC now is a good time to open it up and suck out all the dust and dirt, I have to do mine every 1-2 months cause the heatsinks pack up with dust.  Also AMDs have a tendency to run hotter than Intel processors, all the more reason to keep them clean.  Usually after I do a good cleaning I see a drop of 30-40 degrees (F) in load temps and 5-10 (F) in idle temps.

Kevin1994

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 04:56:04 AM »
Thanks for the help guys it kind of worked but it still sounds like a jet engine.  :P

valentin123

• Argentinian alpha tester
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 06:26:19 AM »
the computer fan should be very dirty or old, buy a new or clean your actual fan, you can also buy a cooler to the computer, I have one, I never overheats (and my PC is crap)
my specs are:

AMD Sempron 145 2.80 GHZ
ATI Radeon HD 5450
Motherboard: i don't know

SupeRobotLazerTiger

• I love the smell of black holes in the mornin'.
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 11:32:47 AM »
Yeah, looks like you're using the cpu fan that came with it, those things are small and can get loud when your cpu is put under pressure. Go ahead and take a look at the program called coretemp... set it to start alongside the bootup of your computer (settings) and don't play any games on the computer, an 20-30 minutes later look at the max and low temp, what are they? Reboot the computer and when it starts up, run universe sandbox for ~ 20 minutes, if it can safely do so ( I don't know how long you've been running it in the past). Now look at the max temp, what is it? Universe sandbox is a cpu intensive game, and will be much harder on an older CPU (especially an older AMD cpu). I have an AMD fx-8350 (eight-core cpu), and I put it through its paces at 100% load for, at times, over a week of non-stop ray-traced rendering (My hobby is 3d rendering and simulating fluid dynamics). I keep a close eye on my temperatures, and the only reason I haven't burned out the cpu is because I bought a cheap 120mm cpu fan & heatsink, you can get one for less than $30 on Newegg. So if you can't afford a newer processor (once upon a time, I also had an AMD athlon x4), then at least you could keep those temps under control with a 120mm heat sink and fan.
   -One more thing, if you purchase a 120mm heatsink/fan, to be on the safe side -(search this on newegg "EVERCOOL F-EC12025H12BP 120x120x25mm High Speed Double Ball Bearing Fan" -this is the fan I currently have, the first 120mm that came with my heatsink didn't last so long under the stress I put it under, and I came home to find a fried 8-core processor (FX-8150). The fan I have now (in the link) has been put Under stress of a cpu at 100% load for over a week multiple times, and my max temps  couldn't reach 60 celcius. It's a good, cost-conscious solution to overheating)