Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Procedural Planet  (Read 3878 times)

DenisineD

Procedural Planet
« on: November 28, 2013, 12:35:52 AM »
Hello!

And must say its an amazing work your did with your team Dan!

But
1) There s some stuff that are missing from the original US. Like all the rotation element X Y Z. + It seem that the orbital element only appear when the simulation is on and don t appear at pause. If i make a solar system, i mostly do it on pause lol

2) The lock and unlock thing seem to don t work for the mass and diameter (didn't try the others yet). If i lock one, lock both or unlock both, it seem that it doesn't change. Like if i change the diameter of the sun while i should have lock is mass, the mass will still change. Or maybe its me who s doing something wrong :S

3) suggestion for procedural planet. Would be nice to have and advance set up in the planet information that we could adjust the % of mountains, % of crater, % of water (yes this one exist i know) and etc. + we could chose the main color of the planet surface and is atmosphere. Then you would have a bottom that would say generate procedural planet. Oh + we could chose what kind of planet: Barren, Venusian, Terran (with or without life), gas planet and etc. Sure could also depend on the distance with the star.

thx :)

XilentDude

• Alpha Tester
Re: Procedural Planet
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 07:03:18 AM »
Yeah, the planet editing should be like in Space Engine. How many mountains, how tall, how big and things like that.

DenisineD

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 10:54:51 AM »
Well maybe not that much detail, but enought to generate always different planets of different type. + we could save that texture in a file to be able to upload it to US forum. :)

valentin123

• Argentinian alpha tester
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 05:56:58 PM »
in space engine editing planets are more harder than in universe sandbox
in space engine the textures are super detailed,so the bitmap(Universe Sandbox doesnt have bitmap,i believe)
so in space engine is more professional the way you edit planets,and the game on itself,it has basic options of craters and ect

DenisineD

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 06:11:11 PM »
Well i dont want something as detail as Space Engine...but something that will make it able to generate different textures for planets base on % of differents stuff. Then if you want it with night lights (cities) you could click on civilization (yes/no)...then maybe we could chose from small to dense civilization (working as a % too).

Then you could save those planets for different uses (saving with a name or others). I know gas giants would be easier with this procedural....but i guess it can work easily with rocky planets (would be the main features of a planet that you see from space so we don t need 100 different parameters).

We already can put an atmosphere, make it molten, add water...guess we could see those suggestions too with a generate procedural planet bottom at the end :)

Xriqxa

• 01000011 01101111 01101101 01101101 01110101 01101
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 10:22:38 AM »
These are all great ideas, but I'm not sure they will make the first release, maybe later on.

Dan, please don't try to work on these now, it'll strain you. And we will probably have to wait another 2 years for your awesome skills to implement this and synchronize it with the current features. Just try not to work on too many new stuff, and we'll have an amazing beta by around august.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 09:46:32 PM by Xriqxa »

Xriqxa

• 01000011 01101111 01101101 01101101 01110101 01101
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 04:35:45 AM »
I think this should really be looked into. No reason to ignore this.