Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Universe Sandbox 3 Feature idea - Detailed Planet Surfaces  (Read 13392 times)

valentin123

• Argentinian alpha tester
Universe Sandbox 3 Feature idea - Detailed Planet Surfaces
« on: November 23, 2013, 08:02:32 PM »
I would like to be able to see a view from the floor of a planet
like in universe sandbox 2 but more realistic
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 07:45:34 PM by Dan Dixon »

smjjames

Re: Universe Sandbox 3 Feature idea
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 08:27:32 PM »
That'd be the ground or sea level.

We definetly won't be seeing ultra high detail like in Space Engine though.

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 08:29:43 PM »
this is for space simulation not planet simulation

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 08:33:32 PM »
Honestly I agree with this idea. I'd like to be able to visit a planet, land on it, see an atmosphere and possibly some detailed terrain. It would allow for a decent perspective imo. You know, add some freaking rendering to the game!!!

FiahOwl

• This is, to give a dog and in recompense desire my dog again.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 08:41:39 PM »
I personally am against it because like smjjames said this is a space simulator, and I'd also have them adding more features to the simulating aspect rather than the planetary aspect, however I guess it may be a nice feature after Ubox 3 gets hammered out into perfection and an expansion pack or something rolls around.

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 08:46:09 PM »
I personally am against it because like smjjames said this is a space simulator, and I'd also have them adding more features to the simulating aspect rather than the planetary aspect, however I guess it may be a nice feature after Ubox 3 gets hammered out into perfection and an expansion pack or something rolls around.
It's a universe simulator, so why not simulate planets???
I'd also have them adding more features to the simulating aspect rather than the planetary aspect
Meh, they could always do both, am I wrong?

blotz

• Formerly 'bong'
  • op pls
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 09:03:13 PM »
It's a universe simulator, so why not simulate everything to the highest degree of perfection???

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 09:12:30 PM »
Universe sandbox will eventually simulate universes to the same degree of accuracy necessary to represent this universe.Also it's a miracle that we haven't been destroyed by a huge star being hurtled towards the current sun because of some bored player

vh

• formerly mudkipz
  • "giving heat meaning"
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 09:34:43 PM »
we're actually living in a universe sandbox 3029 simulation made by an advanced civilization.

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 10:17:41 PM »
That's a good idea. The bad thing about universe sandbox is that you can't interact much with celestial bodies - you just watch them orbit. I know you can land on it but it is not good enough.

I wish I could walk on it with the arrow keys, look up, look down, jump, etc. Something similar is ok too, as long as I get to interact with the planets. It gets kinda boring when  a thing called the UNIVERSE sandbox is, in fact, just a gravity simulator

Breakfestbacon

• 【American Alpha Tester】
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 12:55:28 AM »
You all must know that having a solar system with all of the planets having terrain would impact the preformence of the game. Plus with the new graphics you would need a pretty good computer.

Darvince

• 差不多
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 01:40:05 AM »
With procedural generation you don't need to have insanely detailed textures for every planet, just if a texture is provided then you can work off of that, but that tends to be slightly more complex than just working off of nothing in procedural generation.

JAW1002

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 05:27:12 AM »
I think the sea level terrain eye candy should be left to space engine. US3 is gonna be full of amazing features that no game has ever attempted! Which is why I find myself coming back to the forum multiple times a day looking for news.

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 09:21:49 AM »
You all must know that having a solar system with all of the planets having terrain would impact the preformence of the game. Plus with the new graphics you would need a pretty good computer.
But the terrains would only be loaded when you land on the planet.

smjjames

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 09:32:13 AM »
But the terrains would only be loaded when you land on the planet.

Have you ever played SE? The terrain takes a lot of proccessing power.

I wouldn't mind somewhat improved appearance or even actual mountains where there should be, the eye candy should be left to SE.

clockworks

• Connor
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 02:23:22 PM »
Honestly I agree with this idea. I'd like to be able to visit a planet, land on it, see an atmosphere and possibly some detailed terrain. It would allow for a decent perspective imo. You know, add some freaking rendering to the game!!!
That's not the point of this simulating game...

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 03:07:37 PM »
/\
The planets and stars are part of the universe, aren't they?

They should rename the game to gravity sandbox if the name really matches the content

tuto99

• Baba Booey
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 07:42:30 PM »
That's not the point of this simulating game...
The visual aspect of viewing the surface of a planet is to provide information visually, and to give you a perspective of being on that planet, which I think would go PERFECTLY with Universe Sandbox 3. I am not asking for "eye candy" but rather visual information that I can see when visiting the surface of some planet. It would be spectacular, no?

gabriel.dac

• Brazillian dude
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 07:58:19 PM »
Oh, another important detail:

When I land on Earth, I wanna see the sky blue as it is. Just like it would be red in mars.

I am aware that this is kinda hard to do, considering that we can change Earth's diameter and mass... that would affect the atmosphere. :/

Dan Dixon

• Creator of Universe Sandbox
  • Developer
    • Personal Site
Re: Universe Sandbox 3 Feature idea - Detailed Planet Surfaces
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »
I would like to be able to see a view from the floor of a planet

It's something that may be added in a future revisions to the new version, but won't be in the alpha, beta, or initial release. We've talked about it... and Georg had spend some time with it. That said... the visuals in the new version are so much better that we hope you won't be disappointed.

this is for space simulation not planet simulation

You might want to take that up with your climate scientist that's working on a climate model for planets. :)

Universe sandbox will eventually simulate universes to the same degree of accuracy necessary to represent this universe.Also it's a miracle that we haven't been destroyed by a huge star being hurtled towards the current sun because of some bored player

Meta.

It's a universe simulator, so why not simulate everything to the highest degree of perfection???

In principle... exactly.

valentin123

• Argentinian alpha tester
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 09:29:47 AM »
yes universe sandbox is more like a gravity simulator than a virtual planetary  (like space engine, you can not interact with planets, just look,and that use many computer resources for ultra high textures and rendering of bitmap

Breakfestbacon

• 【American Alpha Tester】
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 06:14:11 PM »
yes universe sandbox is more like a gravity simulator than a virtual planetary  (like space engine, you can not interact with planets, just look,and that use many computer resources for ultra high textures and rendering of bitmap
Yeah, I believe Dan said during Unite 2012 that it is basically a really cool gravity simulator.

seanjenkinsjr

• proud alpha tester
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 08:43:05 PM »
good idea i will put that in the alpha form

clockworks

• Connor
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2014, 02:10:12 PM »
I don't think it should be a priority although a potential update for the future as this is a physics sim imo and graphics are only there to enhance it, it isn't an rpg.